PDA

View Full Version : Katana

scott sher
November 10th 04, 04:16 AM
I am thinking about purchasing either a Katana or diamond eclipse. Does
anyone have any experience with either of these planes esp. the
maintenance records.

thanks
Scott

Kyprianos Biris
November 10th 04, 02:02 PM
Contact these guys.

They bought one a while ago

http://www.eagles.gr/

Contact person info (at) eagles.gr

"scott sher" > wrote in message
>I am thinking about purchasing either a Katana or diamond eclipse. Does
>anyone have any experience with either of these planes esp. the maintenance
>records.
>
> thanks
> Scott

Jeremy Lew
November 10th 04, 06:42 PM
My flight school (http://www.ecas.com) owns 3 DA-20-A1's (Rotax powered
version) . I trained in them, they're lots of fun to fly. I've heard that
the mechanics there do not like working on them, but can't tell you
specifically why. You might want to contact Adam Harris, the chief
mechanic, to get his impression. I imagine the Continental-powered models
are easier to get serviced since the engines are familiar and don't have odd
features like dual auto-leaning carbs.

C Kingsbury
November 10th 04, 09:49 PM
Jeremy,

Last I recalled, ECAC had only 1 Rotax-powered Katana; the rest had the
Continental engine, though I could be wrong. I never trained in them as they
were cut a little too tight for my liking, or maybe I just had a few too
many cheeseburgers over the years.

IIRC the Rotax-powered versions required a lot more TLC to keep happy, and
had a lower useful load to boot. I recall hearing lots of issues relating to
the cooling system. The Rotax experience probably has a lot to do with why
Diamond has generally held off on bringing the Thielert engines over here.

-cwk.

"Jeremy Lew" > wrote in message
> My flight school (http://www.ecas.com) owns 3 DA-20-A1's (Rotax powered
> version) . I trained in them, they're lots of fun to fly. I've heard
that
> the mechanics there do not like working on them, but can't tell you
> specifically why. You might want to contact Adam Harris, the chief
> mechanic, to get his impression. I imagine the Continental-powered models
> are easier to get serviced since the engines are familiar and don't have
odd
> features like dual auto-leaning carbs.

Google