PDA

View Full Version : Inverted turn

Some
September 6th 04, 04:04 PM
Hi,
I have a quite stupied question - I am sorry...

If an aerobatic program dictates a 360 degree inverted turn to the left....
will that be a left circle when viewed from the ground ie. right rudder left
stick ? I tried to look it up in the "IAC Official Contest Rules" but I
can't seem to find it...

Best regards
Some rules-novice

DSowder
September 6th 04, 07:56 PM
>If an aerobatic program dictates a 360 degree inverted turn to the left....
>will that be a left circle when viewed from the ground ie. right rudder left
>stick ? I tried to look it up in the "IAC Official Contest Rules" but I
>can't seem to find it...

Neither....or either. The direction of turn is up to the pilot, as long as he
ends up going the right direction. So you'd probably make the 360 in the
direction of the most open box, just to reduce the liklihood of going "out".

Similarly, 90 and 270 degree turns from the X (main) axis to the Y axis may be
made either way, so you choose based on other needs such as positioning the
next figure, not going out, wind direction, etc.

90 and 270 turns FROM the Y axis TO the X axis must be made in whatever
direction results in your heading the correct direction once you're back on the
X axis.

The Aresti symbols for rolls and spins are also non-directional. However, if
there are consecutive roll symbols on a figure, they'll be either "same" or
"opposite" and must be so flown. Spins and vertical (up or down) rolls must
result in going the direction you want (or need) to go, and the "same" and
"opposite" concepts hold true also. Otherwise the symbols are non-directional.

If there's a looping figure between rolls in a figure, for example a roll, half
loop up, then half roll, the roll directions don't affect each other. Similarly
a roll up on a hammer or humpty, and a roll down. Either can be made either
direction, subject to the need to be going the right direction when you're
done.

Doug Sowder

Some
September 6th 04, 09:45 PM
Dear Sir,
Thank you for the explanation, I am very glad you took the time to explain
it in such detail.

Best regards

"DSowder" > wrote in message
> >If an aerobatic program dictates a 360 degree inverted turn to the
left....
> >will that be a left circle when viewed from the ground ie. right rudder
left
> >stick ? I tried to look it up in the "IAC Official Contest Rules" but I
> >can't seem to find it...
>
> Neither....or either. The direction of turn is up to the pilot, as long as
he
> ends up going the right direction. So you'd probably make the 360 in the
> direction of the most open box, just to reduce the liklihood of going
"out".

> Similarly, 90 and 270 degree turns from the X (main) axis to the Y axis
may be
> made either way, so you choose based on other needs such as positioning
the
> next figure, not going out, wind direction, etc.
>
> 90 and 270 turns FROM the Y axis TO the X axis must be made in whatever
> direction results in your heading the correct direction once you're back
on the
> X axis.
>
> The Aresti symbols for rolls and spins are also non-directional. However,
if
> there are consecutive roll symbols on a figure, they'll be either "same"
or
> "opposite" and must be so flown. Spins and vertical (up or down) rolls
must
> result in going the direction you want (or need) to go, and the "same" and
> "opposite" concepts hold true also. Otherwise the symbols are
non-directional.

> If there's a looping figure between rolls in a figure, for example a roll,
half
> loop up, then half roll, the roll directions don't affect each other.
Similarly
> a roll up on a hammer or humpty, and a roll down. Either can be made
either
> direction, subject to the need to be going the right direction when you're
> done.
>
> Doug Sowder

Google