PDA

View Full Version : DIY ANR kits

Casey Wilson
November 22nd 04, 03:38 AM
Hi all,

Any PIREPs on Do-It-Yourself ANR kits like the ones shown at:
http://www.anr-headsets.com/ ??

Thomas Borchert
November 22nd 04, 08:00 AM
Casey,

I've installed it on an ancient Softcomm Red Baron DC clone. Works ok
and used to be a good deal when ANR was still expensive. Now, with,
what?, a 100 $ differential, I'd go for a new low-end ANR headset -
unless you really, really, like the passive headset you want to install
it in.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Paul Tomblin
November 22nd 04, 09:29 AM
In a previous article, "Casey Wilson" > said:

> Any PIREPs on Do-It-Yourself ANR kits like the ones shown at:
> http://www.anr-headsets.com/ ??

I had one installed in my Dave Clark 13.4s. I like it a lot. Maybe I'm
crazy, but I've always like the fit of my DCs (especially the gel ear
seals), so having them quieter rather than getting something else was a
bonus for me.

--
Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"Our documented process says that I must now laugh in your face and double our

Allen
November 22nd 04, 02:45 PM
"Casey Wilson" > wrote in message

> Hi all,
>
> Any PIREPs on Do-It-Yourself ANR kits like the ones shown at:
> http://www.anr-headsets.com/ ??

I installed one of these http://www.headsetsinc.com in a DC H10-40 in
1990. Installation was easy and everything was included. Sound quality
with the ANR turned off was not nearly as good as the DC's but what a
difference with it on! The only drawback is the power switch on the battery
box. It is easy to bump on in the flight bag and run down the battery (one
9-volt). The new ones have an auto power-off after a period of inactivity.
Everything else still works great.

Allen

November 22nd 04, 10:40 PM
I installed that rig in a David Clark H10-40 headset about 8-10 years
ago. I like the setup & it worked with no problems. It is not good
for wide band (i. e. music etc) but it sure knocks out the low
frequency drumming effectively. I added a zener regulated power
supply & jack in my intercom to make it so that it is all powered from
the aircraft electrical system.

Dave S
November 23rd 04, 03:35 AM
I've done 3 of em. Please with the results of the installs done
according to the instructions.

I later experimented with batteries in the earcup (my own design) and
was less than pleased with the results. If you can follow instructions,
it is a good deal for retrofitting an existing headset.

Dave

Casey Wilson wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Any PIREPs on Do-It-Yourself ANR kits like the ones shown at:
> http://www.anr-headsets.com/ ??

Thomas Borchert
November 26th 04, 01:44 PM
,

> It is not good
> for wide band (i. e. music etc)

and that's by design, one might add.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

November 26th 04, 10:39 PM

> and that's by design, one might add.

And I was told that up front by Headsets Inc before I bought, too.

Google