PDA

View Full Version : Boundaries of airspace?

Paul Tomblin
January 4th 05, 02:46 AM
Is there a file (other than DAFIF) which has the coordinates of the
boundaries or extents of class B, C, D, E airspace? I can't find anything
in the FAA standard data files. SUA.txt only seems to have things like
MOAs and restricted areas.

--
Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Do you have a point, or are you saving it for a special occasion?

Stan Prevost
January 4th 05, 04:15 AM
Yes, it's FAAO 7400.9 "Airspace Designations and Reporting Points". A large
document, incorporated by reference into the FARs, that defines all U.S.
airspace, including airways. Very hard to find. A year or two ago we
discussed it and posted a reference to an online copy, but I have lost the
link. I have Rev E, and changes can be tracked through the Federal
Register. The document file is very large. It is not in machine-readable
form, it is a textual document in pdf format.

"Paul Tomblin" > wrote in message
> Is there a file (other than DAFIF) which has the coordinates of the
> boundaries or extents of class B, C, D, E airspace? I can't find anything
> in the FAA standard data files. SUA.txt only seems to have things like
> MOAs and restricted areas.
>
> --
> Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
> Do you have a point, or are you saving it for a special occasion?
> -- David P. Murphy

ExecFly
January 4th 05, 06:44 AM
Why does our government have to take something so simple and make it so damn
difficult ? Is it that hard to put the airspace data into the ATA100 data ?
Bureaucratic jerks, all of them.

I wish I had the money and time to become an approved data provider. I'd
give it all away to the user community just to run Jepp out of business.

> Yes, it's FAAO 7400.9 "Airspace Designations and Reporting Points". A
large
> document, incorporated by reference into the FARs, that defines all U.S.
> airspace, including airways. Very hard to find. A year or two ago we
> discussed it and posted a reference to an online copy, but I have lost the
> link. I have Rev E, and changes can be tracked through the Federal
> Register. The document file is very large. It is not in machine-readable
> form, it is a textual document in pdf format.
>

> "Paul Tomblin" > wrote in message
> > Is there a file (other than DAFIF) which has the coordinates of the
> > boundaries or extents of class B, C, D, E airspace? I can't find
anything
> > in the FAA standard data files. SUA.txt only seems to have things like
> > MOAs and restricted areas.
> >
> > --
> > Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
> > Do you have a point, or are you saving it for a special occasion?
> > -- David P. Murphy

Ramapriya
January 4th 05, 07:30 AM
ExecFly wrote:

> Bureaucratic jerks, all of them.
Oh. Didn't know you were in India too...

Anti-Death-Spec
January 4th 05, 08:04 AM
I was bored tonight and did a search and look what I found.
http://ntl.bts.gov/lib/000/200/254/911.pdf. I didn't even know this existed.
pretty cool!!

"Paul Tomblin" > wrote in message
> Is there a file (other than DAFIF) which has the coordinates of the
> boundaries or extents of class B, C, D, E airspace? I can't find anything
> in the FAA standard data files. SUA.txt only seems to have things like
> MOAs and restricted areas.
>
> --
> Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
> Do you have a point, or are you saving it for a special occasion?
> -- David P. Murphy

Paul Tomblin
January 4th 05, 12:15 PM
In a previous article, "Anti-Death-Spec" > said:
>I was bored tonight and did a search and look what I found.
>http://ntl.bts.gov/lib/000/200/254/911.pdf. I didn't even know this existed.
>pretty cool!!

But nothing in a machine readable format, eh? That's what I figured.

--
Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
I don't see what C++ has to do with keeping people from shooting themselves

Stan Prevost
January 4th 05, 04:31 PM
Great! Thanks for finding the link.

I wrote down the procedure I used to find updates to a specific airspace
entry. I haven't checked to see if the link is still correct. Too bad the
FAA won't keep a current copy available.

All changes to airspace must be published in the Federal Register, so you
can find any updates there. .
Go to http://www.access.gpo.gov/su_docs/aces/aces140.html to search the
Federal Register.

Check all the FR volumes, check "Final Regulations". In the Date field, use
"Before" 01/01/2100. In the Search Terms box I used

"14 CFR Part 71" AND Huntsville

(substitute for Huntsville the city or airport or airway you are searching
for information about. If it's more than one word, enclose in double quote
marks).

I believe this will find all changes to the Order for the entity you are
concerned with.

"Anti-Death-Spec" > wrote in message
>I was bored tonight and did a search and look what I found.
>http://ntl.bts.gov/lib/000/200/254/911.pdf. I didn't even know this
>existed. pretty cool!!
>
> "Paul Tomblin" > wrote in message
>> Is there a file (other than DAFIF) which has the coordinates of the
>> boundaries or extents of class B, C, D, E airspace? I can't find
>> anything
>> in the FAA standard data files. SUA.txt only seems to have things like
>> MOAs and restricted areas.
>>
>> --
>> Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
>> Do you have a point, or are you saving it for a special occasion?
>> -- David P. Murphy

Google