PDA

View Full Version : Garmin aviation portables and XM WX

Richard Gregory
January 24th 05, 11:21 PM
Does anyone know if Garmin intends to provide XM WX Satellite Weather
with their aviation portable gps units?

Garmin has released the GDL 30/30A weather data receiver for use with
their marine units and they provide satellite weather for their
panel-mounted aviation units but nothing for aviation portables. It
would be great if they had this capability with their GPSMAP 296.
Something like Anywhere Map offers( http://www.anywheremap.com/ ).

Mike Rapoport
January 25th 05, 03:15 PM
"Richard Gregory" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know if Garmin intends to provide XM WX Satellite Weather with
> their aviation portable gps units?
>
> Garmin has released the GDL 30/30A weather data receiver for use with
> their marine units and they provide satellite weather for their
> panel-mounted aviation units but nothing for aviation portables. It would
> be great if they had this capability with their GPSMAP 296. Something like
> Anywhere Map offers( http://www.anywheremap.com/ ).

Garmin plans to make money supplying the market with what it wants. XM
weather on a portable GPS seems like such a natural and desirable feature to
add to an aviation handheld that it is probably almost a certainty that they
will offer it.

Mike
MU-2

Dan Luke
January 25th 05, 03:40 PM
"Mike Rapoport" wrote:
> Garmin plans to make money supplying the market with what it wants. XM
> weather on a portable GPS seems like such a natural and desirable feature
> add to an aviation handheld that it is probably almost a certainty that
they
> will offer it.

Any idea what the development barriers are to adding this capability to the
296? I would pay a lot to have WxWorx on mine.
--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Mike Rapoport
January 26th 05, 03:15 AM
I don't think that there would be many difficulties. Garmin already makes
XM recievers and handheld GPS.

Mike
MU-2

"Dan Luke" > wrote in message
> "Mike Rapoport" wrote:
>> Garmin plans to make money supplying the market with what it wants. XM
>> weather on a portable GPS seems like such a natural and desirable feature
>> add to an aviation handheld that it is probably almost a certainty that
> they
>> will offer it.
>
> Any idea what the development barriers are to adding this capability to
> the
> 296? I would pay a lot to have WxWorx on mine.
> --
> Dan
> C-172RG at BFM

Google