PDA

View Full Version : 24,000 mile scenic?

Roger Long
February 7th 05, 12:05 PM
When Steve Fossett gets back from his round the world flight and sits
down to fill out his logbook, it's a bit strange that he won't be able
to log any cross country time.

--

Roger Long

Jon Kraus
February 7th 05, 12:10 PM
Why wasn't he PIC?

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
'79 Mooney 201 4443H

Roger Long wrote:

> When Steve Fossett gets back from his round the world flight and sits
> down to fill out his logbook, it's a bit strange that he won't be able
> to log any cross country time.

John Theune
February 7th 05, 01:18 PM
Jon Kraus wrote:
> Why wasn't he PIC?
>
> Jon Kraus
> PP-ASEL-IA
> '79 Mooney 201 4443H
>
> Roger Long wrote:
>
>> When Steve Fossett gets back from his round the world flight and sits
>> down to fill out his logbook, it's a bit strange that he won't be able
>> to log any cross country time.

But if I recall my logging rules, if you want to log cross country time
it must include a landing more then 50 miles from your point of origin.
If he nakes it all the way he won't have that.

Morgans
February 7th 05, 01:25 PM
Take-off and land at the same airport = local (not cross country) flight!

I think a note included will let him log it. <g>
--
Jim in NC

"Jon Kraus" > wrote in message
> Why wasn't he PIC?
>
> Jon Kraus
> PP-ASEL-IA
> '79 Mooney 201 4443H
>
> Roger Long wrote:
>
> > When Steve Fossett gets back from his round the world flight and sits
> > down to fill out his logbook, it's a bit strange that he won't be able
> > to log any cross country time.

Paul Tomblin
February 7th 05, 01:26 PM
In a previous article, "Roger Long" > said:
>When Steve Fossett gets back from his round the world flight and sits
>down to fill out his logbook, it's a bit strange that he won't be able
>to log any cross country time.

I think they recently (after Voyaguer) made some sort exception to the
"landing 50 miles away" rule for round-the-world flights.

--
Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"We must do something. This is something. Therefore we must do this."

Mike Rapoport
February 7th 05, 02:58 PM
The 50nm rule only applies to cros country flights to qualify for the PP
certificate. Any flight where you landed at another airport is loggable as
CC

Mike
MU-2

"John Theune" > wrote in message
> Jon Kraus wrote:
>> Why wasn't he PIC?
>>
>> Jon Kraus
>> PP-ASEL-IA
>> '79 Mooney 201 4443H
>>
>> Roger Long wrote:
>>
>>> When Steve Fossett gets back from his round the world flight and sits
>>> down to fill out his logbook, it's a bit strange that he won't be able
>>> to log any cross country time.
>>>

> But if I recall my logging rules, if you want to log cross country time it
> must include a landing more then 50 miles from your point of origin. If he
> nakes it all the way he won't have that.

John Theune
February 7th 05, 04:40 PM
Mike Rapoport wrote:

> The 50nm rule only applies to cros country flights to qualify for the PP
> certificate. Any flight where you landed at another airport is loggable as
> CC
>
> Mike
> MU-2
>

> "John Theune" > wrote in message
>
>>Jon Kraus wrote:
>>
>>>Why wasn't he PIC?
>>>
>>>Jon Kraus
>>>PP-ASEL-IA
>>>'79 Mooney 201 4443H

>>But if I recall my logging rules, if you want to log cross country time it
>>must include a landing more then 50 miles from your point of origin. If he
>>nakes it all the way he won't have that.

But Mike he won't have landed at another airport. It's going to look
like hundreds of hours of go arounds at his home airport in the logbook :)

Mike Rapoport
February 7th 05, 04:50 PM
> Mike Rapoport wrote:
>
>> The 50nm rule only applies to cros country flights to qualify for the PP
>> certificate. Any flight where you landed at another airport is loggable
>> as CC
>>
>> Mike
>> MU-2
>>

>> "John Theune" > wrote in message

>>>But if I recall my logging rules, if you want to log cross country time
>>>it must include a landing more then 50 miles from your point of origin.
>>>If he nakes it all the way he won't have that.
>>

> But Mike he won't have landed at another airport. It's going to look like
> hundreds of hours of go arounds at his home airport in the logbook :)

Yes, I know. I was responding to your assertion that you have to land 50nm
from your point of origin to log a flight as cross country. That is not
correct.

Mike
MU-2

February 7th 05, 05:28 PM
Sure he can log it as cross-country.

It's a valid cross-country towards an ATP certificate.
14 CFR 61.1(b)(3)(vi) only requires a straight line distance of more
than 50 miles, and doesn't require any landings.

That's the only thing it could be used for in terms of cross-country
time, but he can still log it that way.

ShawnD2112
February 7th 05, 05:41 PM
Jeez you guys need to lighten up a bit. It was a joke...:-)

Shawn

"Mike Rapoport" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "John Theune" > wrote in message
>> Mike Rapoport wrote:
>>
>>> The 50nm rule only applies to cros country flights to qualify for the PP
>>> certificate. Any flight where you landed at another airport is loggable
>>> as CC
>>>
>>> Mike
>>> MU-2
>>>

>>> "John Theune" > wrote in message

>> But Mike he won't have landed at another airport. It's going to look
>> like hundreds of hours of go arounds at his home airport in the logbook
>> :)
>
> Yes, I know. I was responding to your assertion that you have to land
> 50nm from your point of origin to log a flight as cross country. That is
> not correct.
>
> Mike
> MU-2

Mike Rapoport
February 7th 05, 05:55 PM
"ShawnD2112" > wrote in message
k...
> Jeez you guys need to lighten up a bit. It was a joke...:-)
>
> Shawn

Probably true! The only reason I pointed it out was for the benefit of
someone who was only logging cc flights over 50nm. While cc flights shorter
than 50nm don't count for most ratings, they may be applicable to insurance
or other uses.

Mike
MU-2

Sam O'Nella
February 7th 05, 08:01 PM
Roger Long wrote:
> When Steve Fossett gets back from his round the world flight and sits
> down to fill out his logbook, it's a bit strange that he won't be able
> to log any cross country time.

Perhaps the newspaper article clipping will suffice ;)

Andrew Gideon
February 7th 05, 08:38 PM
Paul Tomblin wrote:

> I think they recently (after Voyaguer) made some sort exception to the
> "landing 50 miles away" rule for round-the-world flights.

So you're saying that the FAA has finally noticed that the world is not
flat?

- Andrew

Teranews
February 7th 05, 08:57 PM
So file round robin... Al

"Roger Long" > wrote in message
> When Steve Fossett gets back from his round the world flight and sits down
> to fill out his logbook, it's a bit strange that he won't be able to log
> any cross country time.
>
> --
>
> Roger Long

Roger Long
February 7th 05, 09:53 PM
Thanks! I've got to go back and recheck my logbook.

--

Roger Long

"Mike Rapoport" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "ShawnD2112" > wrote in message
> k...
>> Jeez you guys need to lighten up a bit. It was a joke...:-)
>>
>> Shawn
>
> Probably true! The only reason I pointed it out was for the benefit
> of someone who was only logging cc flights over 50nm. While cc
> flights shorter than 50nm don't count for most ratings, they may be
> applicable to insurance or other uses.
>
> Mike
> MU-2

Darrell S
February 8th 05, 12:58 AM
That used to be true. It changed about 30 years ago. Except for initial
cross-country time for beginning ratings you don't have to land at another
airport to log cross country. I flew 24 hour airborne alert flights in the
B-52H at Minot AFB, ND in the early 60s. At that time it couldn't be logged
as cross-country since I took off from and landed at Minot 24 hours later.
It was changed (I believe in the early 70s) so that it can be counted as
"general" cross country time.

--

Darrell R. Schmidt
B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/

"Roger Long" > wrote in message
> When Steve Fossett gets back from his round the world flight and sits down
> to fill out his logbook, it's a bit strange that he won't be able to log
> any cross country time.
>
> --
>
> Roger Long

February 8th 05, 07:29 PM
14 CFR 61.1(b)(3)(vi) is the relevant paragraphs. It only applies to
military pilots, so while it applies for Darrell S, it doesn't not for
Steve Fosset. Unless the FAA makes a special case or something.
<grin> My guess is that Steve Fosset's not doing this for the CC time
in his logbook though...

-Malcolm Teas

Jose
February 8th 05, 09:11 PM
Unless he's going to apply the time towards a rating for which it
matters, I'd say the "gee" factor of a 24,000 mile local flight
overrides the benefit in the book of XC time.

Jose
--
Nothing is more powerful than a commercial interest.

Andrew Gideon
February 9th 05, 08:26 PM
wrote:

> My guess is that Steve Fosset's not doing this for the CC time
> in his logbook though...

He'd probably cursing the fact that he didn't get in a single T&G outside
the 50 mile "ring".

- Andrew

Jeff Franks
February 9th 05, 08:28 PM
> So you're saying that the FAA has finally noticed that the world is not
> flat?

No, They require an inverted oil system for the trip last half of the
trip.......

Google