PDA

View Full Version : need advice

benmen
January 5th 04, 02:54 AM
need help on decision oppolo 80/ mx20 or garmin 430/530 and what is
the differents between the two

carlos
February 8th 04, 04:47 AM
From what I learned during my search for a multi function display:

The 80/MX20 combo is much newer than the 430/530, thus it should be
technologically more advanced.

The MX20 (http://www.garmin.com/products/mx20/) screen is wonderful to look
at, with more colors and resolution. The CNX-80
(http://www.garmin.com/products/cnx80/) also has a better screen than the
430/530 (http://www.garmin.com/products/gns530/) and is usually highly
recommended as a combo with the MX20
(http://www.garmin.com/products/cnx80/mx20Pop.html). The CNX-80 is WAAS
approved for precision GPS approaches as well.

However, the MX20 has no GPS/COM/NAV... It's just a display for your other
equipment. It does great things, such as split screens, and relative terrain
mapping (it color codes terrain according to your current altitude).

If you went with a Garmin 530 and a 430 you would have two GPS, two radios
and two NAVs, whereas with the CNX-80/MX20 you only have one of each.

I've heard the Garmin radios in the 430/530 are very underpowered compared
to, say, a King KX-155 - so you would have to be nearer your destination to
listen/transmit. This is why Garmin now offers a "A" version, which has more
power.

If I had to choose between a CNX-80/MX20 or a 430/530, I would probably go
with the CNX-80/MX20 only because it's newer and should offer more in the
long run. I'd throw in a KX-155 or equivalent as a second COM/NAV.

Check out this post for more info:

http://lists.kjsl.com/pipermail/beech-owners/2003-November/041264.html

Just my opinion - remember I have less than 100 hours flying... :-)

Regards,

CGP.

"benmen" > wrote in message
> need help on decision oppolo 80/ mx20 or garmin 430/530 and what is
> the differents between the two

Abafon Goula
February 8th 04, 01:10 PM
Carlos, good interpretation and probably correct for the most part.
I've never heard any problems about low powered panel mount radios
being a detriment, unless you're crossing the oceans. Remember, with
avionics, all it takes is money. And look at the Garmin 1000.

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 00:47:46 -0400, "carlos" >
wrote:

>From what I learned during my search for a multi function display:
>
>The 80/MX20 combo is much newer than the 430/530, thus it should be
>technologically more advanced.
>
>The MX20 (http://www.garmin.com/products/mx20/) screen is wonderful to look
>at, with more colors and resolution. The CNX-80
>(http://www.garmin.com/products/cnx80/) also has a better screen than the
>430/530 (http://www.garmin.com/products/gns530/) and is usually highly
>recommended as a combo with the MX20
>(http://www.garmin.com/products/cnx80/mx20Pop.html). The CNX-80 is WAAS
>approved for precision GPS approaches as well.
>
>However, the MX20 has no GPS/COM/NAV... It's just a display for your other
>equipment. It does great things, such as split screens, and relative terrain
>mapping (it color codes terrain according to your current altitude).
>
>If you went with a Garmin 530 and a 430 you would have two GPS, two radios
>and two NAVs, whereas with the CNX-80/MX20 you only have one of each.
>
>I've heard the Garmin radios in the 430/530 are very underpowered compared
>to, say, a King KX-155 - so you would have to be nearer your destination to
>listen/transmit. This is why Garmin now offers a "A" version, which has more
>power.
>
>If I had to choose between a CNX-80/MX20 or a 430/530, I would probably go
>with the CNX-80/MX20 only because it's newer and should offer more in the
>long run. I'd throw in a KX-155 or equivalent as a second COM/NAV.
>
>Check out this post for more info:
>
>http://lists.kjsl.com/pipermail/beech-owners/2003-November/041264.html
>
>Just my opinion - remember I have less than 100 hours flying... :-)
>
>Regards,
>
>CGP.
>
>"benmen" > wrote in message
>> need help on decision oppolo 80/ mx20 or garmin 430/530 and what is
>> the differents between the two

Google