PDA

View Full Version : Whats that probe which sticks out of the aircraft nose?

Gangatharan
February 12th 04, 11:05 AM
I always wonder "Whats that probe which sticks out of the aircrafts nose?"

James M. Knox
February 12th 04, 03:06 PM
"Gangatharan" > wrote in
:

> I always wonder "Whats that probe which sticks out of the aircrafts
> nose?"

More specifics???

Most likely you are talking about a Pitot probe... it intercepts what is
called the "ram" air (i.e. the air the plane is moving through) and
measures the airspeed of the aircraft.

New types of aircraft undergoing testing will almost always have one. It
sticks way out in front because that is the only place where they are SURE
that the airflow is undisturbed. Usually during testing they find other
places on the airframe where the airflow is undisturbed, and the permanent
airspeed probe is placed there.

You will also see some military aircraft with a refuelling probe sticking
out (look at an A6 Intruder picture). These are much bigger, and usually
off to one side of the plane.

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331