PDA

View Full Version : Q:VXA-210 Handheld

Frank Ivo Streckebein
February 17th 04, 10:23 PM
Hello to the group !
Does anybody use the VertexStandard Pilot VXA-210?
My question: The manual says that the led on top of the unit will glow
green if it is receiving a carrier and the color will change to red when
transmitting. With my handheld the led is only glowing green when
receiving; the led goes out when transmitting. Is this like your unit
behaves ?

Thanks

Frank

Jerry Guy
February 18th 04, 01:03 AM
Don't have my vxa-700 manual here. But, I seem to remember this is
programmable.

Jerry

Frank Ivo Streckebein wrote:
> Hello to the group !
> Does anybody use the VertexStandard Pilot VXA-210?
> My question: The manual says that the led on top of the unit will glow
> green if it is receiving a carrier and the color will change to red when
> transmitting. With my handheld the led is only glowing green when
> receiving; the led goes out when transmitting. Is this like your unit
> behaves ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Frank

Jay Smith
February 18th 04, 02:43 AM
Frank Ivo Streckebein wrote:
> Hello to the group !
> Does anybody use the VertexStandard Pilot VXA-210?
> My question: The manual says that the led on top of the unit will glow
> green if it is receiving a carrier and the color will change to red when
> transmitting. With my handheld the led is only glowing green when
> receiving; the led goes out when transmitting. Is this like your unit
> behaves ?

Download the manual from the manufacturer's online website.

Edwin Johnson
February 18th 04, 02:14 PM
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 23:23:50 +0100, Frank Ivo Streckebein
> wrote:
>Hello to the group !
>Does anybody use the VertexStandard Pilot VXA-210?
>My question: The manual says that the led on top of the unit will glow
>green if it is receiving a carrier and the color will change to red when
>transmitting. With my handheld the led is only glowing green when
>receiving; the led goes out when transmitting. Is this like your unit

Two separate leds inside the lens, so could be a problem with one. Does the
unit actually transmit? If so, may be simply in the led circuitry for the
red led.

While I don't have a VXA-210, I do have VX-5R (amateur radio ht) and there
is indeed a method of enabling or disabling the led to save power, but that
action, which is #17 BUSY/TX LED on my unit, affects both colors so probably
isn't your problem. Even though different radios, Yaesu follows somewhat
closely the menu system on their radios, so you probably have this setting
also. You might cycle this setting to see if that affects the problem.

....Edwin

~ Edwin Johnson ....... ~
~ http://www.shreve.net/~elj ~
~ ~
~ "Once you have flown, you will walk the ~
~ earth with your eyes turned skyward, ~
~ for there you have been, there you long ~
~ to return." -- da Vinci ~

Frank Ivo Streckebein
February 18th 04, 09:25 PM
Jay Smith schrieb:
> Frank Ivo Streckebein wrote:
>
>> Hello to the group !
>> Does anybody use the VertexStandard Pilot VXA-210?
>> My question: The manual says that the led on top of the unit will glow
>> green if it is receiving a carrier and the color will change to red
>> when transmitting. With my handheld the led is only glowing green when
>> receiving; the led goes out when transmitting. Is this like your unit
>> behaves ?
>

> Download the manual from the manufacturer's online website.

I have done that, additionally i have the original manufacturer`s manual
here in front of me - there is nowhere mentioned anything about a
programmable feature concerning the tx-led for the vxa-210. Otoh the
manual of the vxa-700 states exactly how to programm the rx/tx led, but
again: I´m talking about the vxa-210.

Frank

Frank Ivo Streckebein
February 18th 04, 09:30 PM
Edwin Johnson schrieb:

> Two separate leds inside the lens, so could be a problem with one. Does the
> unit actually transmit? If so, may be simply in the led circuitry for the
> red led.

Yes, the unit transmits correct.

> While I don't have a VXA-210, I do have VX-5R (amateur radio ht) and there
> is indeed a method of enabling or disabling the led to save power, but that
> action, which is #17 BUSY/TX LED on my unit, affects both colors so probably
> isn't your problem. Even though different radios, Yaesu follows somewhat
> closely the menu system on their radios, so you probably have this setting
> also. You might cycle this setting to see if that affects the problem.

Sorry, but there is no such item in the setup menu for the vxa-210.

Frank

Jack Allison
February 19th 04, 06:35 AM
Nope, my VXA-210 LED glows red during transmit and green during receive.
Since you're able to transmit ok, perhaps it's an LED or circuit problem of
some sort.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Frank Ivo Streckebein
February 19th 04, 06:04 PM
Jack Allison schrieb:
> Nope, my VXA-210 LED glows red during transmit and green during receive.
> Since you're able to transmit ok, perhaps it's an LED or circuit problem of
> some sort.

Yes, yesterday the same statement came from Yaesu USA, i have contacted
them last week. They were very helpfull and provided me an adress of a
repair facility in Europe, today i have shipped my unit. Hope the repair
will be done as fast as the tech support reacts. Thanks for your answers.

Frank

Jack Allison
February 20th 04, 08:54 PM
Great! I've heard good things about thier support but have no firsthand
experience. Glad to know that they were so helpful. I love my VXA-210 and
use it a lot. IMHO, one of the best investments in my flight bag.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL

you will always long to return"