PDA

View Full Version : 40,000 volunteer restoration hours going to waste?

Corrie
July 23rd 03, 05:33 PM
The last B-36 Peacemaker ever built, #52-827, needs your help. This
magnificent airplane sat outside in the Texas weather for decades,
subject to the summer sun, winter rains, birds, and vandals. Years of
dedicated effort (44,000 hours) has restored the magnificent bird to
near-new static-display condition.

But she's lost her nest. For several years 2827 has been sheltered
and restored at the Lockheed-Martin plant (formerly General Dynamics,
originally Convair) where she was built, in Fort Worth, Texas. But LM
now needs the space to build the F-22 and F-35. So 2827 is outside in
the weather once again. The B-36 Peacemaker Museum has lined up the
civilian and military approval to build a mueseum to house the
aircraft - all they need is the money to do it. Please contribute to
the fund to build a permanent enclosed shelter for this unique piece
of aviation history.

Some before-and-after restoration photos are posted here:
http://www.itasca.net/~corrie/B36-2827/

Here, you can see her current condition - out in the weather once
again. http://www.b-36peacemakermuseum.org/History/current.htm

Steve Tobey
July 25th 03, 08:43 PM
Where will the museum be built?

Steve

"Corrie" > wrote in message
om...
> The last B-36 Peacemaker ever built, #52-827, needs your help. This
> magnificent airplane sat outside in the Texas weather for decades,
> subject to the summer sun, winter rains, birds, and vandals. Years of
> dedicated effort (44,000 hours) has restored the magnificent bird to
> near-new static-display condition.
>
> But she's lost her nest. For several years 2827 has been sheltered
> and restored at the Lockheed-Martin plant (formerly General Dynamics,
> originally Convair) where she was built, in Fort Worth, Texas. But LM
> now needs the space to build the F-22 and F-35. So 2827 is outside in
> the weather once again. The B-36 Peacemaker Museum has lined up the
> civilian and military approval to build a mueseum to house the
> aircraft - all they need is the money to do it. Please contribute to
> the fund to build a permanent enclosed shelter for this unique piece
> of aviation history.
>
> Some before-and-after restoration photos are posted here:
> http://www.itasca.net/~corrie/B36-2827/
>
> Here, you can see her current condition - out in the weather once
> again. http://www.b-36peacemakermuseum.org/History/current.htm

Corrie
July 28th 03, 08:32 PM
As I understand, the site is right near the gate of the Lockheed plant
at NAs Fort Worth, formerly Carswell AFB.

"Steve Tobey" > wrote in message >...
> Where will the museum be built?
>
> Steve
>
> "Corrie" > wrote in message
> om...
> > The last B-36 Peacemaker ever built, #52-827, needs your help.

Craig
July 29th 03, 07:18 AM
(Corrie) wrote in message >...
> As I understand, the site is right near the gate of the Lockheed plant
> at NAs Fort Worth, formerly Carswell AFB.

I would seriously doubt that location, as the aircraft sat there for
over ten years with us trying to get a building built on the same
location. The original commitment was for a location at Alliance. Then
politics took over and it changed to DFW and then to Love and back and
forth a couple of times. There were proposals to use the old Globe
plant in Blue Mound, but cost and the Army ended up killing that one
off.

You can figure that until someone or some company with the resources
and the balls to overrun the politcs comes into the picture and lays
the cash on the table, the a/c won't get reassembled in the DFW area.

Craig C.

Corrie
July 29th 03, 05:14 PM
Craig, from everything I've read recently, the new museum group taking
over from AHA has now got the political wheels properly greased to
keep the plane in Fort Worth, under a real roof, not an open-air
canopy.

It's a matter of coming up with the cash to break ground. Last I
heard they were about halfway there.

(Craig) wrote in message >...
> (Corrie) wrote in message >...
> > As I understand, the site is right near the gate of the Lockheed plant
> > at NAs Fort Worth, formerly Carswell AFB.
>
> I would seriously doubt that location, as the aircraft sat there for
> over ten years with us trying to get a building built on the same
> location. The original commitment was for a location at Alliance. Then
> politics took over and it changed to DFW and then to Love and back and
> forth a couple of times. There were proposals to use the old Globe
> plant in Blue Mound, but cost and the Army ended up killing that one
> off.
>
> You can figure that until someone or some company with the resources
> and the balls to overrun the politcs comes into the picture and lays
> the cash on the table, the a/c won't get reassembled in the DFW area.
>
> Craig C.

Google