PDA

View Full Version : Aeronautical Term

Nyal Williams
August 4th 03, 03:26 PM
As I recall from a model airplane kit I built back in the late 1940s,
the British observation plane, Westland Lysander, was equipped with
small, short, secondary flying surfaces (hardly wings) attached to the
landing gear just at about the top of the wheelpants. As I understood
it at the time, these "winglets" job was to react with the ground
effect and help the airplane flare for landing. Does anyone know the
term for these winglets?

BTW, I have searched the web for the Lysander and have found many
pictures; none of them had this device. Nontheless, I am sure that my
kit had them, explained their purpose, and gave their name.

Answers directly to my email address would be most appreciated.

LesB
August 4th 03, 09:33 PM
On 4 Aug 2003 07:26:04 -0700, (Nyal Williams)
wrote:

>As I recall from a model airplane kit I built back in the late 1940s,
>the British observation plane, Westland Lysander, was equipped with
>small, short, secondary flying surfaces (hardly wings) attached to the
>landing gear just at about the top of the wheelpants. As I understood
>it at the time, these "winglets" job was to react with the ground
>effect and help the airplane flare for landing. Does anyone know the
>term for these winglets?

The detachable stub-wings were fitted with racks to allow a Lysander
to carry up to 4 250lbs bombs per side. Usually however a 'chute
droppable water/food/equipment container was carried, two each side.
These were dropped to troops or coverts a required. Doubt they
contributed much to the lift component though. If a kite is *flaring*
to land the wheels will be well out of ground effect and, without
slats and such, the wheel spat stub-wings would be in stalled
condition anyway.

The Lysander also had a fixed machine gun in each wheel spat arranged
to fire and clear the prop.

Regards
Les Bywaters
English Electric Canberra Tribute Site