PDA

View Full Version : Saw a lot WW II War Birds Laying around

Jim Dauven
August 29th 03, 01:17 AM
I saw a special on PBS about the Aleutian Islands and they showed
quite a few scenes of W.W.II aircraft wrecks just lying around on
ground. The Narrator said that they US lost a lot of aircraft due
to bad weather.

My question is has anyone surveyed the Aleutian Islands for restorable
wrecks. (I don't plan on going up there and get one, but hey being
unemployed at present with a A&P ticket in my billfold, I would
volunteer
to go up on a expedition;)

J.D.

Mark and Kim Smith
August 29th 03, 06:14 PM
Maybe you can join up with these guys.
http://www.airpirates.com/index.html Mark

Jim Dauven wrote:

> I saw a special on PBS about the Aleutian Islands and they showed
> quite a few scenes of W.W.II aircraft wrecks just lying around on
> ground. The Narrator said that they US lost a lot of aircraft due
> to bad weather.
>
> My question is has anyone surveyed the Aleutian Islands for restorable
> wrecks. (I don't plan on going up there and get one, but hey being
> unemployed at present with a A&P ticket in my billfold, I would
> volunteer
> to go up on a expedition;)
>
> J.D.

Mark and Kim Smith
August 29th 03, 06:26 PM
Here is another link, although it doesn't seem to be working at the moment.
http://www.pacificwrecks.com/provinces/alaska_unalaska.html

Whoops, looks like Alaska won't let you touch 'em.
http://www.tidetech.com/fighterfactory/hunt6.html

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

> Maybe you can join up with these guys.
> http://www.airpirates.com/index.html Mark
>
> Jim Dauven wrote:
>
> > I saw a special on PBS about the Aleutian Islands and they showed
> > quite a few scenes of W.W.II aircraft wrecks just lying around on
> > ground. The Narrator said that they US lost a lot of aircraft due
> > to bad weather.
> >
> > My question is has anyone surveyed the Aleutian Islands for restorable
> > wrecks. (I don't plan on going up there and get one, but hey being
> > unemployed at present with a A&P ticket in my billfold, I would
> > volunteer
> > to go up on a expedition;)
> >
> > J.D.

ForsbergAviation
August 31st 03, 07:32 AM
Several years the US Navy had me go to the Aleutian Islands. I started at
Cold Bay. After talking with alot of government people in Anchorage, I
determened that it would be almost impossible to get anything out of Alaska,
due to the red tape. I have coordinates of all the downed aircraft, because
I was working for the Navy at the time. The Air Force (Army Air Corp.)
abandoned rights to all the aircraft long ago. But the Navy Museum now lays
clam to them all. In addition, the State of Alaska has laws on the books
that don't all the removal of antiquities. The only other thing is that
most of the stuff has been picked over really well. I did get to go on a
B-17 at Cold Bay that was strewn over a mile of tundra grass swamp. Not
much left of it. If I find the pix I will post them. Ed

"Jim Dauven" > wrote in message
> I saw a special on PBS about the Aleutian Islands and they showed
> quite a few scenes of W.W.II aircraft wrecks just lying around on
> ground. The Narrator said that they US lost a lot of aircraft due
> to bad weather.
>
> My question is has anyone surveyed the Aleutian Islands for restorable
> wrecks. (I don't plan on going up there and get one, but hey being
> unemployed at present with a A&P ticket in my billfold, I would
> volunteer
> to go up on a expedition;)
>
> J.D.

Google