PDA

View Full Version : Navion Maintainance

PiperSeneca@
September 22nd 03, 02:06 PM
Thank you for the excellent info on parts availabilty. On a similar
topic, are there any maintenance trouble spots on the older Navions?
I was told that the hydraulic system is leaky or troublesome. Is this
true, how bad a problem is it and are there any other areas of
concern?

Ron Natalie
September 22nd 03, 03:45 PM
"PiperSeneca@" > wrote in message om...
> Thank you for the excellent info on parts availabilty. On a similar
> topic, are there any maintenance trouble spots on the older Navions?
> I was told that the hydraulic system is leaky or troublesome. Is this
> true, how bad a problem is it and are there any other areas of
> concern?

If you got leaks, you got leaks. The biggest problem is if you let someone
who hasn't a clue overhall the valves and such. I've never had any hydraulic
problems.

Getting the gear to stay up is a perrenial problem. There are a number of things
that can cause this to happen, and you might end up going through a number
of them before you figure it out.

From my own experience and listening to tons of Navion maintenance Q&A sessions
over the years, there's really no single big problem. Just lots of stuff that happens
with 50 year old aircraft...corrosion, very old parts that have escaped inspection
for decades, etc... Lots of technical information is out there specific to Navions
but no great smoking gun.

rip
September 22nd 03, 09:11 PM
Here's a Navion site for you:
http://rip.tzo.com/index.html

And here's another:

PiperSeneca@ wrote:
> Thank you for the excellent info on parts availabilty. On a similar
> topic, are there any maintenance trouble spots on the older Navions?
> I was told that the hydraulic system is leaky or troublesome. Is this
> true, how bad a problem is it and are there any other areas of
> concern?

Montblack
September 22nd 03, 09:18 PM
("Ron Natalie" wrote)
<snip>
> From my own experience and listening to tons of Navion maintenance Q&A
sessions
> over the years, there's really no single big problem. Just lots of stuff
that happens
> with 50 year old aircraft...corrosion, very old parts that have escaped
inspection
> for decades, etc... Lots of technical information is out there specific
to Navions
> but no great smoking gun.

How's your(pl) Navion project coming along?

--
Montblack

Ron Natalie
September 22nd 03, 09:20 PM
"Montblack" > wrote in message ...

> How's your(pl) Navion project coming along?

Going back together. I've got to send a list of avionics to the shop today so that he can start doing the panel.

Jay Honeck
September 22nd 03, 09:54 PM
> > How's your(pl) Navion project coming along?
> >
> Going back together. I've got to send a list of avionics to the shop
today so that he can start doing the panel.

Ka-CHING! ;-)

So any estimated delivery date yet?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Michelle P
September 22nd 03, 11:42 PM
The only things I have seen working on Ron and Margy's Navion is pretty
standard for an old airplane. Landing gear parts need overhauled
occasionally and the electrical system can be a pain. For a Small pane
it is fairly easy to work on.

Michelle

--

Michelle P CP-ASMEL-IA, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Ron Natalie
September 22nd 03, 11:48 PM
"Michelle P" > wrote in message
hlink.net...
> The only things I have seen working on Ron and Margy's Navion is pretty
> standard for an old airplane. Landing gear parts need overhauled
> occasionally and the electrical system can be a pain. For a Small pane
> it is fairly easy to work on.

It was Michelle who figured out that the reason our position lights kept blowing was
that during some upgrade (most likely the addition of the tip tanks) someone abandoned
a "live" wire inside the wing which would intermittantly ground out to the wing.
Gotta love 50 years of people tinkering with the plane.

Margy Natalie
September 23rd 03, 03:07 AM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> > > How's your(pl) Navion project coming along?
> > >
> > Going back together. I've got to send a list of avionics to the shop
> today so that he can start doing the panel.
>
> Ka-CHING! ;-)

Thanks Jay!

> So any estimated delivery date yet?
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Jay Honeck
September 23rd 03, 02:13 PM
> > > Going back together. I've got to send a list of avionics to the shop
> > today so that he can start doing the panel.
> >
> > Ka-CHING! ;-)
>
> Thanks Jay!

Hey, speaking as someone who has recently replaced a com radio, just
replaced our attitude indicator (which -- in a rare aviation instance of
"killing two birds with one stone" -- fixed the autopilot as well), is in
the middle of having some major fiberglass work done on our tip tanks, AND
is completely re-doing our interior, I really do feel your pain! :(

Ah, but won't they be beautiful when they're done?

Oh, wait...they're *never* "done", are they...? ;)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Edward Todd
September 24th 03, 03:05 PM
In article <CFXbb.552900$YN5.373371@sccrnsc01>,
"Jay Honeck" > wrote:

Hello Jay,

Just read your article in "The Flying Life" and enjoyed it. Will you be
a regular contributor?

Edward

Jay Honeck
September 24th 03, 05:59 PM
> Just read your article in "The Flying Life" and enjoyed it. Will you be
> a regular contributor?

Thanks, Edward. I was probably more surprised than you were to see "Final
Flight" in "Flying Life" magazine!

As some of you may recall, I had submitted the article about the old
gentleman Mooney driver to them a few months ago, and they had come back to
me with a list of things they wanted to change and edit. When I responded
negatively, I thought I'd heard the end of it.

I then got busy and forgot all about it, figuring I'd shop it around to
other aviation mags when I got some time.

Well, imagine my surprise when I opened my new copy of the mag last week,
only to see that they had published it! I immediately contacted them, and
both of the folks I regularly deal with thought that the other one had told
me, etc... Needless to say, they seem a bit disorganized during this
start-up period.

Either way, it's nice to be published again! I hope to remain a regular
contributor, as my time permits...

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Edward Todd
September 24th 03, 08:34 PM
In article <c4kcb.570902$uu5.94086@sccrnsc04>,
"Jay Honeck" > wrote:

> > ...and they had come back to
> me with a list of things they wanted to change and edit. When I responded
> negatively, I thought I'd heard the end of it.

So did they edit ... or publish as submitted (just curious)?

Edward

Jay Honeck
September 24th 03, 11:26 PM
> So did they edit ... or publish as submitted (just curious)?

You know, it's funny you ask -- I should check that!

When I get a minute, I'll have to take a look.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Al Gilson
September 26th 03, 03:08 AM
Congrats Jay. I saw it too. I'm pleased to say that, "I read it here
first!"

Oh...can I get a signed e-mail copy now that you're famous?

in article c4kcb.570902$uu5.94086@sccrnsc04, Jay Honeck at
wrote on 9/24/03 9:59 AM:

>> Just read your article in "The Flying Life" and enjoyed it. Will you be
>> a regular contributor?
>
> Thanks, Edward. I was probably more surprised than you were to see "Final
> Flight" in "Flying Life" magazine!
>
> As some of you may recall, I had submitted the article about the old
> gentleman Mooney driver to them a few months ago, and they had come back to
> me with a list of things they wanted to change and edit. When I responded
> negatively, I thought I'd heard the end of it.
>
> I then got busy and forgot all about it, figuring I'd shop it around to
> other aviation mags when I got some time.
>
> Well, imagine my surprise when I opened my new copy of the mag last week,
> only to see that they had published it! I immediately contacted them, and
> both of the folks I regularly deal with thought that the other one had told
> me, etc... Needless to say, they seem a bit disorganized during this
> start-up period.
>
> Either way, it's nice to be published again! I hope to remain a regular
> contributor, as my time permits...
>
> :-)

Jay Honeck
September 26th 03, 04:22 AM
> Congrats Jay. I saw it too. I'm pleased to say that, "I read it here
> first!"

*blush* Garsh...

> Oh...can I get a signed e-mail copy now that you're famous?

Sure!

Jay Honeck

:-)
--