PDA

View Full Version : First Plane to Restore....

Steve
October 29th 03, 03:38 AM
Right now, I am currently in school to get my AME licence. The college I am
at is looking to get rid of a Cessna AgWagon airframe (full control, partial
intrumentation, great condition). Since restoration is the niche I want to
get into, I was wondering if the AgWagon is a bit too complicated for a
rookie like me.

N329DF
October 29th 03, 04:31 AM
first off, there is no AME license, it is a Airframe and Powerplant
certificate. If it was a license, the FAA, could be held liable for accidents
caused by those who it licensed, but if they are certificated, they cannot.
A Ag wagon would be a good project, as long as it is not corroded too badly
due the chemicals it hauled. The big question is why do you want to restore it
? Because it is there ? A better project might be a plane you can use to learn
to fly in.
Matt Gunsch,
A&P,IA,Private Pilot
Riding member of the
2003 world champion drill team
Arizona Precision Motorcycle Drill Team
GWRRA,NRA,GOA

Craig
October 29th 03, 07:23 AM
"Steve" > wrote in message >...
> Right now, I am currently in school to get my AME licence. The college I am
> at is looking to get rid of a Cessna AgWagon airframe (full control, partial
> intrumentation, great condition). Since restoration is the niche I want to
> get into, I was wondering if the AgWagon is a bit too complicated for a
> rookie like me.

Unless you can get it for little more than pocket change, it's a poor
bird to start with. Not that it is very complicated or hard to
restore, but the marketability won't be very good. There are plenty of
other a/c out there that need restoration and will sell when
completed. Take a few issues of TAP and browse through the listings
and get a realistic idea of what flying aircraft are worth, noting how
they are equiped on average. Keep your eyes peeled for something like
a Pacer/Tri-Pacer project or a Colt or maybe a Cessna
120/140/15/152/170/172/175 or the like, depending on how much metal
working you want to do.

If you want some ideas on time and expenses to do restorations, drop
me a note at the email address below and I'll give you some average
numbers from our experience.

Craig C.

Jim Martin
October 29th 03, 01:44 PM
I believe AME licence is the Canadian eqivalent of
the A&P certificate.

"N329DF" > wrote in message
> first off, there is no AME license, it is a Airframe and Powerplant
> certificate. If it was a license, the FAA, could be held liable for
accidents
> caused by those who it licensed, but if they are certificated, they
cannot.
> A Ag wagon would be a good project, as long as it is not corroded too
badly
> due the chemicals it hauled. The big question is why do you want to
restore it
> ? Because it is there ? A better project might be a plane you can use to
learn
> to fly in.
> Matt Gunsch,
> A&P,IA,Private Pilot
> Riding member of the
> 2003 world champion drill team
> Arizona Precision Motorcycle Drill Team
> GWRRA,NRA,GOA

Steve
October 29th 03, 09:24 PM
First of all, AME's are Canadian and second, I'm 19 with just over 450 hrs
and a commercial license/instructor rating.
"N329DF" > wrote in message
> first off, there is no AME license, it is a Airframe and Powerplant
> certificate. If it was a license, the FAA, could be held liable for
accidents
> caused by those who it licensed, but if they are certificated, they
cannot.
> A Ag wagon would be a good project, as long as it is not corroded too
badly
> due the chemicals it hauled. The big question is why do you want to
restore it
> ? Because it is there ? A better project might be a plane you can use to
learn
> to fly in.
> Matt Gunsch,
> A&P,IA,Private Pilot
> Riding member of the
> 2003 world champion drill team
> Arizona Precision Motorcycle Drill Team
> GWRRA,NRA,GOA

HACo
November 2nd 03, 10:51 AM
Yes Matt, there is such a thing as an AME (aircraft maintenance engineer)
licence in Canada, for more info, see
http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/regserv/carac/CARS/html_e/doc/nav-1831.htm

Brian....

"N329DF" > wrote in message
> first off, there is no AME license, it is a Airframe and Powerplant
> certificate. If it was a license, the FAA, could be held liable for
accidents
> caused by those who it licensed, but if they are certificated, they
cannot.
> A Ag wagon would be a good project, as long as it is not corroded too
badly
> due the chemicals it hauled. The big question is why do you want to
restore it
> ? Because it is there ? A better project might be a plane you can use to
learn
> to fly in.
> Matt Gunsch,
> A&P,IA,Private Pilot