PDA

View Full Version : B-17 in Brantford, Ontario

Steve
November 2nd 03, 07:29 AM
Anyone know of the progress of the B-17 being restored in Brantford,
Ontario? I've heard that that specific aircraft was used in making the
movie Memphis Belle....is this true?

PT Ball
November 2nd 03, 04:18 PM
"Steve" > wrote in message >...
> Anyone know of the progress of the B-17 being restored in Brantford,
> Ontario? I've heard that that specific aircraft was used in making the
> movie Memphis Belle....is this true?

Check out the following link:
http://www.goderichaircraft.com/newspage.php?xcode=18

It was David Talichet's machine "Memphis Belle". Looks like it was in
for the AD on the spar replacement. I saw it at the NY Airshow at
Calverton on 9/20. It also flew in the show.
HTH

PS: Does any one know if the only F model N17W that went to the
Seattle MOF will ever fly or has flown again? There was some talk. Or
is it forever entombed in the museum?
Also haven't seen much of "Chuckie" in recent years?
Peter B.

B17 GUY
November 2nd 03, 11:38 PM
I believe this is Dave Tallichet's B-17. It was having wing spar work done in
compliance with a directive showing corrosion and weakening of some spars.

Several Forts are down for this modification. Texas Raiders is off the circuit
for a while due to this issue.

Jay Beckman
November 3rd 03, 10:01 PM
"PT Ball" > wrote in message
m...
> "Steve" > wrote in message
> > Anyone know of the progress of the B-17 being restored in Brantford,
> > Ontario? I've heard that that specific aircraft was used in making the
> > movie Memphis Belle....is this true?
>
> Check out the following link:
> http://www.goderichaircraft.com/newspage.php?xcode=18
>
> It was David Talichet's machine "Memphis Belle". Looks like it was in
> for the AD on the spar replacement. I saw it at the NY Airshow at
> Calverton on 9/20. It also flew in the show.
> HTH
>
> PS: Does any one know if the only F model N17W that went to the
> Seattle MOF will ever fly or has flown again? There was some talk. Or
> is it forever entombed in the museum?
> Also haven't seen much of "Chuckie" in recent years?
> Peter B.

That particular B17 is currently at their restoration facility at Everett.

Dunno if it flew up there or if was trucked up there.

Gene
November 7th 03, 04:51 PM
PT Ball > wrote:
> PS: Does any one know if the only F model N17W that went to the
> Seattle MOF will ever fly or has flown again? There was some talk. Or
> is it forever entombed in the museum?

The only time I've ever heard of it flying is the ferry flight from
Renton to the MOF at Boeing Field. It was a hell of a sight to see.
I don't know if it will ever be flown again.

g.

Wright1902Glider
November 11th 03, 04:28 PM
Just got back from Stuart, FL show. The ship in question was on static display
flanking the Legends of Aviation tent along with a T-6, a B-25 (Killer B), and
my Wright Brothers machines.

Heard from the CAF guys while in Houston last month that Texas Raiders was in
for its spar AD. Thunderbird did fly in that show however.

Harry
Wright Brothers Enterprises

December 11th 03, 05:06 PM
On 2 Nov 2003 07:18:57 -0800, (PT Ball) wrote:

<snip>

>PS: Does any one know if the only F model N17W that went to the
>Seattle MOF will ever fly or has flown again? There was some talk. Or
>is it forever entombed in the museum?
>Also haven't seen much of "Chuckie" in recent years?
>Peter B.

N17W does fly from time to time. Her current home is at Renton field,
just saw her there yesterday. She bounces from Renton to Boeing Field
for various activities. The Museum of Flight (MoF) is currently under
a lot of expansion construction. I expect her next flight will be
next Wednesday. The MoF is sponsoring a Centennial Parade of aircraft
around the Seattle area. That should be fun to do.

There was a lot of talk whether the plane should continue to fly or
not in the 90's. I heard rumors that the estate of the previous owner
wanted the plane grounded after restoration. But it seems that the
MoF does have the ability/right to fly it occasionally.

-j-

December 13th 03, 05:52 AM
Son of a bitch! Was I ever wrong... Dammit...

-j-

-----------------------

Vintage B-17 bomber makes final flight
05:20 PM PST on Friday, December 12, 2003

By GLENN FARLEY / KING 5 News

A vintage World War II plane made its final flight Friday across
Western Washington Friday before settling at Seattle's Museum of
Flight.

The last B-17 F model bomber, also known as the "Flying Fortress" has
been in storage at Boeing in Renton, Wash. for years. It was one of
only a handful of WWII aircraft still able to fly.

During World War II, factories along Boeing Field in Seattle churned
out 16 B-17s every day.
After starring in four movies, including Memphis Belle, the plane
returned to Seattle in 1990.

By the mid-90s, volunteers were spending hundreds of hours restoring
the plane, complete with parts found all over the country, including
some pulled out of basements and barns.

But without an inside place to store it, the plane went back to
Renton. On Friday, however, it took its final flight back to Boeing
field and the Museum of Flight.

Capt. Buzz Nelson was at the controls for the 10-minute flight.

"It's wonderful, to hear those 18-20s out there roaring. It's good.
It's a little more complicated flying these airplanes than it is the
modern jets. This is a challenge," Nelson said.

A spokeswoman for the Museum of Flight says it is likely to be several
more years before the plane will be put on public display. The museum
needs more indoor space to protect it and other large planes in its
collection from the elements.

A Boeing B-17 F taxis after it's final landing at Boeing Field before
arriving at the Museum of Flight.
"It's just a blast. Its noise and vibration. Its power. It's just an
amazing sensation. Compared to the absolute smoothness of the modern
jet aircraft, the comfort in the passenger cabin, this is just all
business. It was built to do a job," says flight engineer Alan Peover.

Some 12,000 B-17s were built during the war, so many Boeing couldn't
even build them all. Factories along Boeing field cranked out 16 a
day.

Now, almost 60 years later. One is now home to stay.

PT Ball
December 14th 03, 04:19 PM
It would have been nice if they at least kept it airworthy and flew it
to airshows until the display space was ready. I remember seeing it
at Geneseo, NY in 1988, still in its fire bomber paint scheme. A year
later it was in its 'Memphis Belle' movie paint, ditto for 1990
season. When Bob Richardson passed it was flown to Seattle for good.
At least I can always see it in the air when I watch the movie.

Peter B

wrote in message >...
> Son of a bitch! Was I ever wrong... Dammit...
>
> -j-
>
> -----------------------
>
> Vintage B-17 bomber makes final flight
> 05:20 PM PST on Friday, December 12, 2003
>
> By GLENN FARLEY / KING 5 News
>

> A vintage World War II plane made its final flight Friday across
> Western Washington Friday before settling at Seattle's Museum of
> Flight.
>
> The last B-17 F model bomber, also known as the "Flying Fortress" has
> been in storage at Boeing in Renton, Wash. for years. It was one of
> only a handful of WWII aircraft still able to fly.
>
> During World War II, factories along Boeing Field in Seattle churned
> out 16 B-17s every day.
> After starring in four movies, including Memphis Belle, the plane
> returned to Seattle in 1990.
>
> By the mid-90s, volunteers were spending hundreds of hours restoring
> the plane, complete with parts found all over the country, including
> some pulled out of basements and barns.
>
> But without an inside place to store it, the plane went back to
> Renton. On Friday, however, it took its final flight back to Boeing
> field and the Museum of Flight.
>
> Capt. Buzz Nelson was at the controls for the 10-minute flight.
>
> "It's wonderful, to hear those 18-20s out there roaring. It's good.
> It's a little more complicated flying these airplanes than it is the
> modern jets. This is a challenge," Nelson said.
>
> A spokeswoman for the Museum of Flight says it is likely to be several
> more years before the plane will be put on public display. The museum
> needs more indoor space to protect it and other large planes in its
> collection from the elements.
>
> A Boeing B-17 F taxis after it's final landing at Boeing Field before
> arriving at the Museum of Flight.
> "It's just a blast. Its noise and vibration. Its power. It's just an
> amazing sensation. Compared to the absolute smoothness of the modern
> jet aircraft, the comfort in the passenger cabin, this is just all
> business. It was built to do a job," says flight engineer Alan Peover.
>
> Some 12,000 B-17s were built during the war, so many Boeing couldn't
> even build them all. Factories along Boeing field cranked out 16 a
> day.
>
> Now, almost 60 years later. One is now home to stay.

Glenn Johnson
December 17th 03, 06:11 AM
Chuckie is still flying... see the website:
http://www.vintageflyingmuseum.org

Glenn Johnson
VFM webmaster

> wrote in message
> On 2 Nov 2003 07:18:57 -0800, (PT Ball) wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >
> >PS: Does any one know if the only F model N17W that went to the
> >Seattle MOF will ever fly or has flown again? There was some talk. Or
> >is it forever entombed in the museum?
> >Also haven't seen much of "Chuckie" in recent years?
> >Peter B.
>

> N17W does fly from time to time. Her current home is at Renton field,
> just saw her there yesterday. She bounces from Renton to Boeing Field
> for various activities. The Museum of Flight (MoF) is currently under
> a lot of expansion construction. I expect her next flight will be
> next Wednesday. The MoF is sponsoring a Centennial Parade of aircraft
> around the Seattle area. That should be fun to do.
>
> There was a lot of talk whether the plane should continue to fly or
> not in the 90's. I heard rumors that the estate of the previous owner
> wanted the plane grounded after restoration. But it seems that the
> MoF does have the ability/right to fly it occasionally.
>
> -j-

50cal
February 20th 05, 05:10 PM
Does anyone know where this B-17 in Brantford, Ontario is? I am very close
to Brantford and I would like to go and check it out. Thanks

Pontifex
> wrote in message
> On 2 Nov 2003 07:18:57 -0800, (PT Ball) wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >
> >PS: Does any one know if the only F model N17W that went to the
> >Seattle MOF will ever fly or has flown again? There was some talk. Or
> >is it forever entombed in the museum?
> >Also haven't seen much of "Chuckie" in recent years?
> >Peter B.
>

> N17W does fly from time to time. Her current home is at Renton field,
> just saw her there yesterday. She bounces from Renton to Boeing Field
> for various activities. The Museum of Flight (MoF) is currently under
> a lot of expansion construction. I expect her next flight will be
> next Wednesday. The MoF is sponsoring a Centennial Parade of aircraft
> around the Seattle area. That should be fun to do.
>
> There was a lot of talk whether the plane should continue to fly or
> not in the 90's. I heard rumors that the estate of the previous owner
> wanted the plane grounded after restoration. But it seems that the
> MoF does have the ability/right to fly it occasionally.
>
> -j-

Google