PDA

View Full Version : Compass restoration

January 6th 04, 05:21 PM
I was given a pair of compasses to rebuild which seemed pretty
straight forwards until I got to the point of having to repaint the
body.

Does anyone know what paint is used? Or something that
does not react with mineral oil or purified kerosene?

Thanks

Henry Bibb
January 6th 04, 08:30 PM
<quipbid> wrote in message
> I was given a pair of compasses to rebuild which seemed pretty
> straight forwards until I got to the point of having to repaint the
> body.
>
> Does anyone know what paint is used? Or something that
> does not react with mineral oil or purified kerosene?
>
> Thanks

Not being a duly licensed instrument technician and all, I categorically
deny painting the lubber line with Testor's model paint.

Ron Natalie
January 6th 04, 08:40 PM
"Henry Bibb" > wrote in message ink.net...

> Not being a duly licensed instrument technician and all, I categorically
> deny painting the lubber line with Testor's model paint.

Refinishing the decorative coating of the cabin interiors is allowed preventive
maintenance.

Stealth Pilot
January 7th 04, 12:05 PM
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 17:21:32 GMT, " <quipbid>
wrote:

>I was given a pair of compasses to rebuild which seemed pretty
>straight forwards until I got to the point of having to repaint the
>body.
>
>Does anyone know what paint is used? Or something that
>does not react with mineral oil or purified kerosene?
>
>Thanks

matt black lacquer in an aerosol can will do it

Google