PDA

View Full Version : Flying the Blériot XI

Daniel Karlsson
January 17th 04, 01:55 PM
See photos of one of the world's oldest original flying machines,
a 1909-type Blériot XI flown by Mikael Carlsson -

Daniel K Aviation Images
http://www.daniel-k.com/aviation/

Bill A.
January 17th 04, 03:55 PM
Very nice, what are the specs on that and are the any homebuild plans for
it?

"Daniel Karlsson" > wrote in message

> See photos of one of the world's oldest original flying machines,
> a 1909-type Blériot XI flown by Mikael Carlsson -
>
> Daniel K Aviation Images
> http://www.daniel-k.com/aviation/

Daniel Karlsson
January 18th 04, 02:23 PM
Specs and more info:
http://w1.541.telia.com/~u54103380/frmeset2.htm
I don't think anyone would recommend it for homebuilding,
not if you're thinking of actually flying it...

Bill A. > skrev i
diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:PVcOb.12977$1e.8952@n ewsread2.news.pas.earthlin
k.net...
> Very nice, what are the specs on that and are the any homebuild plans for
> it?
>

> "Daniel Karlsson" > wrote in message
> >
> > See photos of one of the world's oldest original flying machines,
> > a 1909-type Blériot XI flown by Mikael Carlsson -
> >
> > Daniel K Aviation Images
> > http://www.daniel-k.com/aviation/

Wright1902Glider
January 21st 04, 11:30 PM
And then GOD made lucky SOB's... Its amazing that the airframe survived at
all, much less in good condition. I know a few dozen people who would kill
(myself included) to make that kind of discovery.

I've seen a few modern versions offered now and then, but I couldn't reference
any off the top of my head. The French team built one on JYW: Flight of the
Century that looked pretty sweet.

I will offer one piece of advice regarding pioneer aircraft. They can't tell
time. Do not build one unless you are dedicated to the cause. When acurately
reproduced, they exhibit all of the nasty characteristics that they had back in
the day. And that means ground loops, blowovers, stalls in turns when banking
more than 10 degrees, necessary wing walkers, etc. I love my Wright machine to
death, but there are days when its just a raving B#$%H and I wish I could park
it for 10 minutes without having to worry about it blowing away.

Harry

Jan Carlsson
January 22nd 04, 09:17 AM
I know Mikael very well, he is not just lucky, he is very avid and have the
skills to make anything, he don't modifi these old planes, it have to be
autentic down to the smallest detail, no nico sleeves, no tail wheel, no
brakes, no "AN" bolts, He also have the ability to get things don. And a
very good pilot, he flies most anything.

When we did the W&B on the Bleriot it showed that the CG was at 50-53%
(memory) of the coord, so the tail have to produce a lot of lift, if the
engine stops, the lack of prop wash on the tail will make the plane come
down like a leaf, you can't dive it to keep the "speed" up.

On his first flight it was only possible to turn in one direction, because
the wings was rigged straight with the stick centered, The torque from that
big propeller and the low airspeed (45-50 MPH) forced him to hold the stick
almost full to one side.

Jan Carlsson
www.jcpropellerdesign.com

"Wright1902Glider" > skrev i meddelandet
> And then GOD made lucky SOB's... Its amazing that the airframe survived
at
> all, much less in good condition. I know a few dozen people who would
kill
> (myself included) to make that kind of discovery.
>
> I've seen a few modern versions offered now and then, but I couldn't
reference
> any off the top of my head. The French team built one on JYW: Flight of
the
> Century that looked pretty sweet.
>
> I will offer one piece of advice regarding pioneer aircraft. They can't
tell
> time. Do not build one unless you are dedicated to the cause. When
acurately
> reproduced, they exhibit all of the nasty characteristics that they had
back in
> the day. And that means ground loops, blowovers, stalls in turns when
banking
> more than 10 degrees, necessary wing walkers, etc. I love my Wright
machine to
> death, but there are days when its just a raving B#$%H and I wish I could
park
> it for 10 minutes without having to worry about it blowing away.
>
> Harry

Wright1902Glider
January 24th 04, 06:22 AM
Fun with solid-strand spring steel bracing wires. i still havn't gotten mine
perfect yet.

Harry

Jan Carlsson
January 24th 04, 06:58 AM
The Fuselage is braced by "piano" wires, easy to make, wing is hold by
regular wires (cables) that is spliced. so is the controls surfaces.

Jan Carlsson
www.jcpropellerdesign.com

"Wright1902Glider" > skrev i meddelandet
> Fun with solid-strand spring steel bracing wires. i still havn't gotten
mine
> perfect yet.
>
> Harry

Wright1902Glider
February 6th 04, 03:51 PM
Are you using turnbuckles? Unfortunately, I don't have the option of using
them and just have to "pull" all of my wires into place.

Harry

Google