PDA

View Full Version : Rolls Royce Meteor V 2 engine from a Centurion tank

The Raven
January 22nd 04, 09:32 AM
Can anyone tell me how similar these engines were to the Merlin? I know they
were a derivative but being intended for ground use may be so totally
different as to be useless for any aviation application.

Why do I ask? An acquaintance has just acquired a complete Meteor engine and
is looking to sell it off. I don't believe he wants to profit from it beyond
recovering costs. If the engine is valueless or he can't find a buyer there
is a possibility (slim) it may be scrapped. However, it would be better if
someone would purchase the engine and put it back into one of it's intended
applications.

If anyone is interested in the engine, even for parts, please post a
response here and I will pass it on to him.

For those interested, the engine is in Canada (despite me being in
Australia).

--
The Raven
http://www.80scartoons.co.uk/batfinkquote.mp3

The Raven
January 22nd 04, 09:47 AM
Oops V12 not V2.

--
The Raven
http://www.80scartoons.co.uk/batfinkquote.mp3
** President of the ozemail.* and uunet.* NG's
** since August 15th 2000.

Keith Willshaw
January 22nd 04, 10:17 AM
"The Raven" > wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me how similar these engines were to the Merlin? I know
they
> were a derivative but being intended for ground use may be so totally
> different as to be useless for any aviation application.

I think thats probably true, they certainly didnt have the supercharger
fit the aero engine had

> Why do I ask? An acquaintance has just acquired a complete Meteor engine
and
> is looking to sell it off. I don't believe he wants to profit from it
beyond
> recovering costs. If the engine is valueless or he can't find a buyer
there
> is a possibility (slim) it may be scrapped. However, it would be better if
> someone would purchase the engine and put it back into one of it's
intended
> applications.
>
> If anyone is interested in the engine, even for parts, please post a
> response here and I will pass it on to him.
>
> For those interested, the engine is in Canada (despite me being in
> Australia).

There is almost certainly a market for it, there are a number of
Centurions owned by collectors

see http://www.milweb.net/go/select/sales.htm

Keith

The Raven
January 22nd 04, 10:20 AM
"Keith Willshaw" > wrote in message

> "The Raven" > wrote in message
> > Can anyone tell me how similar these engines were to the Merlin? I know
> they
> > were a derivative but being intended for ground use may be so totally
> > different as to be useless for any aviation application.
> >

> I think thats probably true, they certainly didnt have the supercharger
> fit the aero engine had

Absolutely. I saw one up close (on a stand) but they weren't starting it at
the time. Hard to recognise it as an aero engine in caterpillar yellow.

> > Why do I ask? An acquaintance has just acquired a complete Meteor engine
> and
> > is looking to sell it off. I don't believe he wants to profit from it
> beyond
> > recovering costs. If the engine is valueless or he can't find a buyer
> there
> > is a possibility (slim) it may be scrapped. However, it would be better
if
> > someone would purchase the engine and put it back into one of it's
> intended
> > applications.
> >
> > If anyone is interested in the engine, even for parts, please post a
> > response here and I will pass it on to him.
> >
> > For those interested, the engine is in Canada (despite me being in
> > Australia).
> >

> There is almost certainly a market for it, there are a number of
> Centurions owned by collectors
>
> see http://www.milweb.net/go/select/sales.htm

Thanks, will look into it. Hopefully someone in Canada is interested.

--
The Raven
http://www.80scartoons.co.uk/batfinkquote.mp3
** President of the ozemail.* and uunet.* NG's
** since August 15th 2000.

Ken Duffey
January 22nd 04, 05:31 PM
The Raven wrote:

> "Keith Willshaw" > wrote in message
> >
> > "The Raven" > wrote in message
> > > Can anyone tell me how similar these engines were to the Merlin? I know
> > they
> > > were a derivative but being intended for ground use may be so totally
> > > different as to be useless for any aviation application.
> > >

> > I think thats probably true, they certainly didnt have the supercharger
> > fit the aero engine had
>
> Absolutely. I saw one up close (on a stand) but they weren't starting it at
> the time. Hard to recognise it as an aero engine in caterpillar yellow.
>

> > > Why do I ask? An acquaintance has just acquired a complete Meteor engine
> > and
> > > is looking to sell it off. I don't believe he wants to profit from it
> > beyond
> > > recovering costs. If the engine is valueless or he can't find a buyer
> > there
> > > is a possibility (slim) it may be scrapped. However, it would be better
> if
> > > someone would purchase the engine and put it back into one of it's
> > intended
> > > applications.
> > >
> > > If anyone is interested in the engine, even for parts, please post a
> > > response here and I will pass it on to him.
> > >
> > > For those interested, the engine is in Canada (despite me being in
> > > Australia).
> > >

> > There is almost certainly a market for it, there are a number of
> > Centurions owned by collectors
> >
> > see http://www.milweb.net/go/select/sales.htm
>
> Thanks, will look into it. Hopefully someone in Canada is interested.
>
> --
> The Raven
> http://www.80scartoons.co.uk/batfinkquote.mp3
> ** President of the ozemail.* and uunet.* NG's
> ** since August 15th 2000.

Just an aside..............

I used to work for the UK MOD as a Civil Servant - one job I had was in NATO
Codification - the allocation of parts numbers to NATO Stock items.

We were told the story about the reasons behind the drive to standardise
parts/stock numbers between the NATO allies - and even between the UK Services.

In the olden days if a Royal Navy Landrover broke down or had a puncture outside
an Army barracks - it could not get spare parts at the Army stores - the part
numbering systems were completely different!!

The Army landrover rode on Tubes, Inner & Covers, Outer, the RN landrover
probably just had Tires and Inner Tubes!!!

Meanwhile - back at RR Meteor/Merlins.........

Apparently during the Korean war a USAF Sqn of P-51's were grounded due to a
shortage of spare parts for their Packard Merlins.

Over the next hill was an Australian army tank battalion - equipped with British
Centurion tanks.

The Centurions had RR Meteor engines - and if they had only had a common parts
nomenclature/numbering system, the Aussie could have supplied the Yanks with
parts!

It is probably an apocryphal story - and certainly exagerated, but a good one
nonetheless.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++
Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast
Flankers Website - http://www.flankers.co.uk/
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++

Wright1902Glider
January 24th 04, 06:05 AM
Thinking E-Bay on this one... if it can't find a home in a tank or plane, it
might go well in a competition pulling tractor or race boat of some sort.
There was a RR Griffon on E-Bay a while back.

T L Jones
January 24th 04, 04:18 PM
In article >,
(The Raven) wrote:

> Article: 20156 of rec.aviation.restoration
> From: "The Raven" >
> Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.restoration
> Subject: Rolls Royce Meteor V 2 engine from a Centurion tank
> Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:32:47 +1100
>

> Can anyone tell me how similar these engines were to the Merlin? I know
> they
> were a derivative but being intended for ground use may be so totally
> different as to be useless for any aviation application.
>
> Why do I ask? An acquaintance has just acquired a complete Meteor
> engine and
> is looking to sell it off. I don't believe he wants to profit from it
> beyond
> recovering costs. If the engine is valueless or he can't find a buyer
> there
> is a possibility (slim) it may be scrapped. However, it would be better
> if
> someone would purchase the engine and put it back into one of it's
> intended
> applications.
>
> If anyone is interested in the engine, even for parts, please post a
> response here and I will pass it on to him.
>
> For those interested, the engine is in Canada (despite me being in
> Australia).

An acquaintance of mine, a considerable engineer has just converted a
Meteor engine to a Merlin which he has run on the ground with a propeller.

Incidently, whilst the Meteor was of RR origin many were made by Rover.
Rover swapped the Whittle jet project and factory in 1943 with RR for the
Meteor project and factory

Terry.

The Raven
January 25th 04, 03:38 AM
"T L Jones" > wrote in message
.co.uk...
> In article >,
> (The Raven) wrote:
>
> > Article: 20156 of rec.aviation.restoration
> > From: "The Raven" >
> > Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.restoration
> > Subject: Rolls Royce Meteor V 2 engine from a Centurion tank
> > Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:32:47 +1100
> >

> > Can anyone tell me how similar these engines were to the Merlin? I know
> > they
> > were a derivative but being intended for ground use may be so totally
> > different as to be useless for any aviation application.
> >
> > Why do I ask? An acquaintance has just acquired a complete Meteor
> > engine and
> > is looking to sell it off. I don't believe he wants to profit from it
> > beyond
> > recovering costs. If the engine is valueless or he can't find a buyer
> > there
> > is a possibility (slim) it may be scrapped. However, it would be better
> > if
> > someone would purchase the engine and put it back into one of it's
> > intended
> > applications.
> >
> > If anyone is interested in the engine, even for parts, please post a
> > response here and I will pass it on to him.
> >
> > For those interested, the engine is in Canada (despite me being in
> > Australia).
> >

> An acquaintance of mine, a considerable engineer has just converted a
> Meteor engine to a Merlin which he has run on the ground with a propeller.

So it's obviously a cost effective situation, one assumes without the
supercharger.......

> Incidently, whilst the Meteor was of RR origin many were made by Rover.
> Rover swapped the Whittle jet project and factory in 1943 with RR for the
> Meteor project and factory

This particular engine is of the Rover variety going by it's id plate.

--
The Raven
http://www.80scartoons.co.uk/batfinkquote.mp3
** President of the ozemail.* and uunet.* NG's
** since August 15th 2000.

L'acrobat
January 28th 04, 04:57 AM
"Ken Duffey" > wrote in message

> Meanwhile - back at RR Meteor/Merlins.........
>
> Apparently during the Korean war a USAF Sqn of P-51's were grounded due to
> shortage of spare parts for their Packard Merlins.
>
> Over the next hill was an Australian army tank battalion - equipped with
British
> Centurion tanks.
>
> The Centurions had RR Meteor engines - and if they had only had a common
parts
> nomenclature/numbering system, the Aussie could have supplied the Yanks
with
> parts!
>
> It is probably an apocryphal story - and certainly exagerated, but a good
one
> nonetheless.

It was not until the beginning of 1952 that the Australian Army finally
received it's first Centurion tanks. These first tanks were given to 1
Armoured Regiment.

1 Armoured Regt did not serve in Korea.

Ken Duffey
January 28th 04, 05:07 PM
L'acrobat wrote:

> "Ken Duffey" > wrote in message
>
> > Meanwhile - back at RR Meteor/Merlins.........
> >
> > Apparently during the Korean war a USAF Sqn of P-51's were grounded due to
> > shortage of spare parts for their Packard Merlins.
> >
> > Over the next hill was an Australian army tank battalion - equipped with
> British
> > Centurion tanks.
> >
> > The Centurions had RR Meteor engines - and if they had only had a common
> parts
> > nomenclature/numbering system, the Aussie could have supplied the Yanks
> with
> > parts!
> >
> > It is probably an apocryphal story - and certainly exagerated, but a good
> one
> > nonetheless.
>
> It was not until the beginning of 1952 that the Australian Army finally
> received it's first Centurion tanks. These first tanks were given to 1
> Armoured Regiment.
>
> 1 Armoured Regt did not serve in Korea.

I said the story was probably apophrycal...........

Stop spoiling it with facts!

How about the Comet tank - what engine did that have - and did the Aussies use
it - and was it in Korea ??

Desperately trying to salvage a good story............

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++
Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast
Flankers Website - http://www.flankers.co.uk/
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++

ANDREW ROBERT BREEN
January 28th 04, 06:10 PM
In article >,
Ken Duffey > wrote:
>L'acrobat wrote:
>> "Ken Duffey" > wrote in message
>> > The Centurions had RR Meteor engines - and if they had only had a common
>> parts
>> > nomenclature/numbering system, the Aussie could have supplied the Yanks
>> with
>> > parts!

>> It was not until the beginning of 1952 that the Australian Army finally
>> received it's first Centurion tanks. These first tanks were given to 1
>> Armoured Regiment.

>How about the Comet tank - what engine did that have - and did the Aussies use
>it - and was it in Korea ??

Comet had the Meteor.

--
Andy Breen ~ Interplanetary Scintillation Research Group
http://users.aber.ac.uk/azb/

L'acrobat
February 2nd 04, 08:01 AM
"ANDREW ROBERT BREEN" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Ken Duffey > wrote:
> >L'acrobat wrote:
> >> parts
Yanks
> >> with
>
> >> It was not until the beginning of 1952 that the Australian Army finally
> >> received it's first Centurion tanks. These first tanks were given to 1
> >> Armoured Regiment.
>
> >How about the Comet tank - what engine did that have - and did the
Aussies use
> >it - and was it in Korea ??
>
> Comet had the Meteor.

Australia never used the Comet

Ken Duffey
February 2nd 04, 05:02 PM
L'acrobat wrote:

> "ANDREW ROBERT BREEN" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > Ken Duffey > wrote:
> common
> Yanks

> > >How about the Comet tank - what engine did that have - and did the
> Aussies use
> > >it - and was it in Korea ??
> >
> > Comet had the Meteor.
>
> Australia never used the Comet

OK - some tank regiment somewhere, equipped with some tanks powered by RR Meteor
engines, were stationed in the next valley to an air force squadron of planes