PDA

View Full Version : Setting up the workshop....

Evan Batchelor
February 29th 04, 03:20 AM
Hello,

After a few years procrastinating (or should that be "researching"?), I'm
finally starting to stock up my workshop to launch into my first project
The aircraft will be mostly wood with some metal fittings.

So the question to all of you experienced builders is:

What tools (both power and hand) do you have in your workshop that you just
couldn't do without?

I already have basic handtools and a few powered hand tools (jigsaw,
circular saw,etc) but I'm wondering if there is something else that should
be on the "blowing the budget" list?

Thanks,

Ev. :-)

Craig
February 29th 04, 07:04 AM
"Evan Batchelor" > wrote in message >...

> What tools (both power and hand) do you have in your workshop that you just
> couldn't do without?

Good chop saw with a fine tooth blade
picture frame joint trimmer
high quality palm sander
excellent dust collector
quality straight edges and squares

Buy the best quality tools that you can afford that will do the job
now and for anything other projects that you forsee. Skimping on tool
quality costs you money and time in the long run. Also, when you
break down and buy an air compressor, don't even think about one of
the oiless types....the noise will drive you out of the shop and make
you regret the purchase every time it comes on.

I've got lots more in my shop, but I restore aircraft as both a hobby
and a business.

Craig C.

Orval Fairbairn
March 3rd 04, 04:38 PM
In article >,
"Evan Batchelor" > wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After a few years procrastinating (or should that be "researching"?), I'm
> finally starting to stock up my workshop to launch into my first project
> The aircraft will be mostly wood with some metal fittings.
>
> So the question to all of you experienced builders is:
>
> What tools (both power and hand) do you have in your workshop that you just
> couldn't do without?
>
> I already have basic handtools and a few powered hand tools (jigsaw,
> circular saw,etc) but I'm wondering if there is something else that should
> be on the "blowing the budget" list?

1. A good, 16-speed drill press.

2. A decent, floor-mounted bandsaw, with a selection of fine, coarse and
smooth blades (for friction cutting). I have a Delta.

3. A good sanding machine, with both 9-inch wheel and 1-inch belt, for
shaping and finishing both metal and wood pieces. I have a Delta.

4. An air compressor capable of painting and riveting and light air
drill support.

5. A gas welding setup.

6. A good set of sharp files.

7. A couple of rivet guns (3X - 5X)

8. A couple of air drills.

9. Dimple die sets.

10. A fan tool for rivet hole spacing.

11. A deep dimpler.

12. A good 37-deg flare tool.

13. Misc. hammers, saws, wrenches

Wright1902Glider
March 4th 04, 02:54 PM
If its mostly wood, it also depends on if you will rip/size your own stock or
if you will buy it s4s to size. Depends on the type of wood you're using, and
your budget. If you're planning on all-spruce, you can usually get it in the
size you want from AS&S or Wick's. If its something else, then you'll need a
medium-quality table saw.

In my case, I bought my spruce s4s, but more than 1/2 of my airframe was made
of white ash. I bought my ash lumber s2s and ripped it to size on the
second-cheapest Delta talbe saw I could buy at Lowe's. (I did use a Freud
60-tooth blade.) For sections over 3/4" sq. this worked fine. But my rib
stock (single-piece, batton-type ribs) was 1/4" x 5/16". This presented a
serious safety problem because my talbe saw does not have the option of using a
zero-clearance shoe. The stock kept wanting to slip between the blade and
table top. Not good.

Other than that, the first tool I would buy is a good shop vac. Following
closely would be a 10" drill press, a good chop saw, and perhaps a benchtop
belt/disk sander.

Hope that helps a little,
Harry Frey
Wright 1902 glider (hull #7)