PDA

View Full Version : What are you restoring? Anybody.

Randy Tait
March 4th 04, 01:46 AM
Just wondering what kind of aircraft are being restored by newgroup members.
I work for a restoration shop and am building a set of Bearcat gear doors
from scratch. Any body need any sheetmetal parts made?

Randy

Craig
March 4th 04, 06:56 PM
Hi Randy: I've got a shop full here at the house. Here is the list:

Stinson L-5B
AC-680...may convert it up to an E model
Fairchild AT-21

Trying to get all my prints and documentation organized for building a
Vultee P-66 from scratch.

Everything is scattered in storage until I can get my new shop
building up and it all moved to the house. I'm working on buying a
couple of hangar lots at the strip in our subdivision, but it will be
a bit before the hangar can go up over there.

Craig C.

RDA
March 5th 04, 06:06 AM
Wow, AT21? What kind of shape is it in? What part of the country are you
in? Just curious. Used to have some V770 parts around the shop, mostly
ignition stuff.

Here's a link to Fairchild Field info with some photos if you haven't seen
it yet.. Went there as a kid back in the 60's.

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/NC/Airfields_NC_W.htm#fairchild

Dave

"Craig" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi Randy: I've got a shop full here at the house. Here is the list:
>
> Stinson L-5B
> AC-680...may convert it up to an E model
> Fairchild AT-21
>
> Trying to get all my prints and documentation organized for building a
> Vultee P-66 from scratch.
>
> Everything is scattered in storage until I can get my new shop
> building up and it all moved to the house. I'm working on buying a
> couple of hangar lots at the strip in our subdivision, but it will be
> a bit before the hangar can go up over there.
>
> Craig C.

Craig
March 6th 04, 08:26 AM
"RDA" > wrote in message >...
> Wow, AT21? What kind of shape is it in? What part of the country are you
> in? Just curious. Used to have some V770 parts around the shop, mostly
> ignition stuff.
>
> Here's a link to Fairchild Field info with some photos if you haven't seen
> it yet.. Went there as a kid back in the 60's.
>
> http://www.airfields-freeman.com/NC/Airfields_NC_W.htm#fairchild

Hi Dave: Thanks for the website. I haven't seen those before. I'm
always looking for more documentaion on the aircraft. The Fairchild is
in extremely rough shape. A museum tried for nearly 15 years to work
out a deal with it's previous owner and rescue it from certain
destruction. About a year after someone stole the engines and
destroyed the mounts and shot hudreds of holes in the fuselage, they
were able to obtain it, but, by that point it was litterly falling
apart with sections being held together by the fabric covering. They
tried for several years to get Fairchild to help along with other
companies to try and rebuild it. They finally made the decision that
while it was in their hands, it would never get rebuilt. I cut an deal
wtih them to purchase the project and keep it from being destroyed
completely. I moved it to my hangar and had planned on starting the
rebuild with a goal of making Oshkosh 1995...well work and a couple of
aborted transfers have kept it stashed away since 1988. With the job
and family situation pretty well stabilized for the foreseeable
future, as soon as the new shop goes up, I will start building jigs
and fixtures and fabricating parts. The spars are going to be
financial monsters as the center section ones are over 30 feet long
and were fabbed out of full length pieces. Going to have to wait a
while to get to them....

Once we have the shop and are moved into it, I'll set up a webpage
with as many photos as I can. Also, by then I should be able to handle
a few visitors to the shop. Right now everything is scattered in
various friends' hangars and wharehouses.

Almost forgot, we are located in the DFW area and have lots of
homebuilt and warbird stuff going on on the numerous fields around the
area.

Craig
March 6th 04, 09:01 AM
"RDA" > wrote in message >...
> Wow, AT21? What kind of shape is it in? What part of the country are you
> in? Just curious. Used to have some V770 parts around the shop, mostly
> ignition stuff.
>
> Here's a link to Fairchild Field info with some photos if you haven't seen
> it yet.. Went there as a kid back in the 60's.
>
> http://www.airfields-freeman.com/NC/Airfields_NC_W.htm#fairchild

Hi Dave: Thanks for the website. I haven't seen those before. I'm
always looking for more documentaion on the aircraft. The Fairchild is
in extremely rough shape. A museum tried for nearly 15 years to work
out a deal with it's previous owner and rescue it from certain
destruction. About a year after someone stole the engines and
destroyed the mounts and shot hudreds of holes in the fuselage, they
were able to obtain it, but, by that point it was litterly falling
apart with sections being held together by the fabric covering. They
tried for several years to get Fairchild to help along with other
companies to try and rebuild it. They finally made the decision that
while it was in their hands, it would never get rebuilt. I cut an deal
wtih them to purchase the project and keep it from being destroyed
completely. I moved it to my hangar and had planned on starting the
rebuild with a goal of making Oshkosh 1995...well work and a couple of
aborted transfers have kept it stashed away since 1988. With the job
and family situation pretty well stabilized for the foreseeable
future, as soon as the new shop goes up, I will start building jigs
and fixtures and fabricating parts. The spars are going to be
financial monsters as the center section ones are over 30 feet long
and were fabbed out of full length pieces. Going to have to wait a
while to get to them....

Once we have the shop and are moved into it, I'll set up a webpage
with as many photos as I can. Also, by then I should be able to handle
a few visitors to the shop. Right now everything is scattered in
various friends' hangars and wharehouses.

Almost forgot, we are located in the DFW area and have lots of
homebuilt and warbird stuff going on on the numerous fields around the
area.

RDA
March 8th 04, 07:04 AM
"Craig" > wrote in message
om...
> "RDA" > wrote in message
> > Wow, AT21? What kind of shape is it in? What part of the country are
you
> > in? Just curious. Used to have some V770 parts around the shop, mostly
> > ignition stuff.
> >
> > Here's a link to Fairchild Field info with some photos if you haven't
seen
> > it yet.. Went there as a kid back in the 60's.
> >
> > http://www.airfields-freeman.com/NC/Airfields_NC_W.htm#fairchild
> >
> Hi Dave: Thanks for the website. I haven't seen those before. I'm
> always looking for more documentaion on the aircraft. The Fairchild is
> in extremely rough shape. A museum tried for nearly 15 years to work
> out a deal with it's previous owner and rescue it from certain
> destruction. About a year after someone stole the engines and
> destroyed the mounts and shot hudreds of holes in the fuselage, they
> were able to obtain it, but, by that point it was litterly falling
> apart with sections being held together by the fabric covering. They
> tried for several years to get Fairchild to help along with other
> companies to try and rebuild it. They finally made the decision that
> while it was in their hands, it would never get rebuilt. I cut an deal
> wtih them to purchase the project and keep it from being destroyed
> completely. I moved it to my hangar and had planned on starting the
> rebuild with a goal of making Oshkosh 1995...well work and a couple of
> aborted transfers have kept it stashed away since 1988. With the job
> and family situation pretty well stabilized for the foreseeable
> future, as soon as the new shop goes up, I will start building jigs
> and fixtures and fabricating parts. The spars are going to be
> financial monsters as the center section ones are over 30 feet long
> and were fabbed out of full length pieces. Going to have to wait a
> while to get to them....
>
> Once we have the shop and are moved into it, I'll set up a webpage
> with as many photos as I can. Also, by then I should be able to handle
> a few visitors to the shop. Right now everything is scattered in
> various friends' hangars and wharehouses.
>
> Almost forgot, we are located in the DFW area and have lots of
> homebuilt and warbird stuff going on on the numerous fields around the
> area.

Craig,

Man have you got your hands full. I feel your pain. Too many projects- too
little time-or- too little money... or both!

Years ago, a good friend of my dad's, Herb Puckett, had designed and built
jigs to build new center sections for Fairchild PT's. If there hadn't been
so many of them manufactured, with readily available engines that had no
other real homes (Rangers, what else...) I doubt as many of them would have
survived to today. That, and the steel tube fuselage, unlike the AT21, as
well as the Beech AT10 and others.

It's tough to get manufacturers today to get interested in and involved with
their own history- unless of course it's Their Idea.

Best wishes on that project.

Dave

Google