PDA

View Full Version : Auto Fuel Residue

Stu Gotts
May 10th 04, 03:38 AM
Okay gurus, this may be a simple one so here goes. I just bought a
project aeroplane and it's obvious the guy was using auto fuel in it.
It's been sitting for about 8 years and there's that great auto fuel
residue all in the tanks, selector valve (frozen), I'm sure in the
lines and I don't even want to think about the carb. Is there a way
to wash that stuff out without removing the sealant? I thought of
buying one of those cheap steamers from Harbor Freight. What are the
thoughts?
Thanks

Orval Fairbairn
May 12th 04, 03:23 AM
In article >,
Stu Gotts > wrote:

> Okay gurus, this may be a simple one so here goes. I just bought a
> project aeroplane and it's obvious the guy was using auto fuel in it.
> It's been sitting for about 8 years and there's that great auto fuel
> residue all in the tanks, selector valve (frozen), I'm sure in the
> lines and I don't even want to think about the carb. Is there a way
> to wash that stuff out without removing the sealant? I thought of
> buying one of those cheap steamers from Harbor Freight. What are the
> thoughts?
> Thanks

You will have to disassemble some parts -- selector valve (which needs
some Fuel Lube anyhow), carburetor (look for corrosion), perhaps fuel
pump (corrosion, too).

The gum deposits occur when the fuel evaporates and should not be
present in the lines, although the old fuel will probably smell bad and
is good only for lighting fires. I doyubt that it would even work in a
lawnmower.

Stu Gotts
May 12th 04, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the reply. The carb and selector will be serviced. What I
would like to know is if there's a solution that can be placed in the
tanks that will remove the residue. There is no fuel present in the
tanks, it all dried up probably years ago.

On Wed, 12 May 2004 02:23:33 GMT, Orval Fairbairn
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Stu Gotts > wrote:
>
>> Okay gurus, this may be a simple one so here goes. I just bought a
>> project aeroplane and it's obvious the guy was using auto fuel in it.
>> It's been sitting for about 8 years and there's that great auto fuel
>> residue all in the tanks, selector valve (frozen), I'm sure in the
>> lines and I don't even want to think about the carb. Is there a way
>> to wash that stuff out without removing the sealant? I thought of
>> buying one of those cheap steamers from Harbor Freight. What are the
>> thoughts?
>> Thanks
>

>You will have to disassemble some parts -- selector valve (which needs
>some Fuel Lube anyhow), carburetor (look for corrosion), perhaps fuel
>pump (corrosion, too).
>
>The gum deposits occur when the fuel evaporates and should not be
>present in the lines, although the old fuel will probably smell bad and
>is good only for lighting fires. I doyubt that it would even work in a
>lawnmower.

rip
May 12th 04, 01:28 PM
How about...gasoline!

Stu Gotts wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. The carb and selector will be serviced. What I
> would like to know is if there's a solution that can be placed in the
> tanks that will remove the residue. There is no fuel present in the
> tanks, it all dried up probably years ago.
>
> On Wed, 12 May 2004 02:23:33 GMT, Orval Fairbairn
> > wrote:
>

>>In article >,
>>Stu Gotts > wrote:
>>

>>>Okay gurus, this may be a simple one so here goes. I just bought a
>>>project aeroplane and it's obvious the guy was using auto fuel in it.
>>>It's been sitting for about 8 years and there's that great auto fuel
>>>residue all in the tanks, selector valve (frozen), I'm sure in the
>>>lines and I don't even want to think about the carb. Is there a way
>>>to wash that stuff out without removing the sealant? I thought of
>>>buying one of those cheap steamers from Harbor Freight. What are the
>>>thoughts?
>>>Thanks
>>

>>You will have to disassemble some parts -- selector valve (which needs
>>some Fuel Lube anyhow), carburetor (look for corrosion), perhaps fuel
>>pump (corrosion, too).
>>
>>The gum deposits occur when the fuel evaporates and should not be
>>present in the lines, although the old fuel will probably smell bad and
>>is good only for lighting fires. I doyubt that it would even work in a
>>lawnmower.

May 12th 04, 08:52 PM
On Wed, 12 May 2004 12:28:02 GMT, rip >
wrote:

>How about...gasoline!
>
>Stu Gotts wrote:

I've heard something about a product called "sea foam"

>> Thanks for the reply. The carb and selector will be serviced. What I
>> would like to know is if there's a solution that can be placed in the
>> tanks that will remove the residue. There is no fuel present in the
>> tanks, it all dried up probably years ago.
>>
>> On Wed, 12 May 2004 02:23:33 GMT, Orval Fairbairn
>> > wrote:

>>>You will have to disassemble some parts -- selector valve (which needs
>>>some Fuel Lube anyhow), carburetor (look for corrosion), perhaps fuel
>>>pump (corrosion, too).
>>>
>>>The gum deposits occur when the fuel evaporates and should not be
>>>present in the lines, although the old fuel will probably smell bad and
>>>is good only for lighting fires. I doyubt that it would even work in a
>>>lawnmower.

Google