PDA

View Full Version : Re: I want to become a helicopter pilot

Beav
June 30th 03, 10:49 PM
"Paul Baechler" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Beav" > wrote:
>
> >And then there's T1 diabetes:-) All the will in the world makes no diff.
>
> It's now possible to get an FAA Class 3 medical with T1 diabetes. It's
> not easy, and probably not cheap, but it has been done.

Over here in the UK Paul, there's a new "license" based on less than perfect
health, but even with the relativcely relaxed rules, getting a license is
still next to impossible if you're a T1. It's because insulin is a little
less predictable in it's effect than most would ever think about, and with
the best will in the world, it's still possible to "clock-off" with little
or no warning. There ARE ways around this, but it requires the person to run
higher than desired blood sugar levels and that in itself leads to all sorts
of complications later in life, so it's a choice thing. Do they run high
sugar levels and never come close to "clocking-off" and "maybe" get a
ticket, or do they run near normal sugar levels and take more care to ensure
they don't "clock off", but forget a flying life?

The CAA seem to think it's best if they forget flying for a living or even
for recreational purposes, so they make it BLOODY hard to get the ticket.

Beav

toadmonkey
July 1st 03, 08:26 PM
On 27 Jun 2003 06:36:44 GMT, (Stephen Austin) wrote:

>>Find a flight school, get a medical certificate, and start flying, is how
>>you do it. Many thousands is how much it costs. If you can get a medical
>>certificate, you likely can get a commercial license if you want. I've
>>flown with a check pilot with one leg, & we currently have a commercial
>>pilot with one leg.
>
>From what I've seen if a person can demonstrate the ability to properly control
>the aircraft they stand a good chance of getting any physical deformities
>waived. I know an airplane flight instructor who, if I'm not mistaken, is one
>of the last thalidomide babies. Regardless of cause he has no hands and no
>feet. He controls the airplane by using rubber bands around the yoke and his
>flippers and is fitted with prosthetic legs (I knew him for a while before I
>ever realized he had the prosthesis on his legs). He's quite successful as an
>instructor. It might not be easy, just depends on how determined you are.
>Where there's a will there's a way.
>
>Stephen Austin
>Austin Ag Aviation
>Charleston, Missouri

Stephen, my disability is not physical. It's called TBI.
TM

--
Toadmonkey: "Now now. Brain popping and world crashing may be hazardous to ones perception of reality.
Very dangerous business that can lead to madness or something worse for some, truth."

Please remove all bits of spam from addy before replying....

July 2nd 03, 01:01 AM
(toadmonkey) wrote:

> Stephen, my disability is not physical. It's called TBI.

TBI = Traumatic Brain Injury - i.e. - A motorcyclist that doean't wear
a helmet.

Well, I'm sure it depends more on your ability to properly manage an
aircraft, however, I've been wrong before. Just guessing here, but I
would assume that TBI *could* be lumped in the same category as T1
diabetes even though it is totally different. I suppose it all
depends on how bad off you are. What can other people do that you
can't?

Dennis H.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A Recession is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A Depression is when YOU are out of work.
A Recovery is when all the H1-B's are out of work."
(An H-1B is someone who is brought into the USA to replace
American workers at a fraction of the wage.)

Stephen Austin
July 2nd 03, 04:29 AM
>> Stephen, my disability is not physical. It's called TBI.

Are you prone to seizure? I'd imagine that dilantin and/or phenobarb could
slow the reactions at times.

Stephen Austin
Austin Ag Aviation
Charleston, Missouri

toadmonkey
July 2nd 03, 04:59 AM
On 02 Jul 2003 03:29:44 GMT, (Stephen Austin) wrote:

>>> Stephen, my disability is not physical. It's called TBI.
>>

>Are you prone to seizure? I'd imagine that dilantin and/or phenobarb could
>slow the reactions at times.
>

>Stephen Austin
>Austin Ag Aviation
>Charleston, Missouri

No. I'm not on any drugs and I do not have seizures.

All in all, I have been recovering from it for 18 years now. I have a driver's
license and have had it for about 16 years and I have no tickets (for moving
violations, anyhow) for over ten years and no at-fault accidents in the entire
16 years. That probrobly doesn't mean much to most, but when it's involving TBI
recipients, I think it is.
TM

--
Toadmonkey: "Now now. Brain popping and world crashing may be hazardous to ones perception of reality.
Very dangerous business that can lead to madness or something worse for some, truth."

Please remove all bits of spam from addy before replying....

July 2nd 03, 03:27 PM
(toadmonkey) wrote:

> No. I'm not on any drugs and I do not have seizures.
>
> All in all, I have been recovering from it for 18 years now.

I'm reading between the lines, but I'm assuming that you don't suffer
from blackouts or confusion episodes.

Whether you can be a pilot or not really boils down to my previous
question: "What can other people do that you can't?" If there is
something significant that you can't or have difficulty doing, then
there may be a problem. Otherwise, if you can "pass" for a non-TBI
person, then maybe don't mention it at your FAA exam.

Dennis H.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A Recession is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A Depression is when YOU are out of work.
A Recovery is when all the H1-B's are out of work."
(An H-1B is someone who is brought into the USA to replace
American workers at a fraction of the wage.)

Paul Baechler
July 3rd 03, 05:29 AM
In article >,
(toadmonkey) wrote:

>No. I'm not on any drugs and I do not have seizures.
>
>All in all, I have been recovering from it for 18 years now. I have a
>driver's
>license and have had it for about 16 years and I have no tickets (for moving
>violations, anyhow) for over ten years and no at-fault accidents in the entire
>16 years. That probrobly doesn't mean much to most, but when it's involving
>TBI
>recipients, I think it is.

There's a consulting group called Virtual Flight Surgeons
<http://www.aviationmedicine.com/>, which has a good reputation. They
are expensive, but offer a free telephone consultation, which would at
least give you an idea of how much difficulty may be involved. There's
another consulting group at http://www.leftseat.com/ which I think also
offers a free initial consultation. There's also AOPA if you're a
member; the membership would be worth it for the assistance they can
offer on the medical. You could also call the FAA (maybe your Regional
Flight Surgeon) to try to get an idea of what's involved. Ultimately,
however, the only way to determine if you can be certified is to go to
an Aviation Medical Examiner and take the exam. Try to pick an AME who's
willing to make the effort to get you certified, some of them aren't
enthusiastic about following up on deferred medicals. Call first,
explain your situation and ask what records and documentation you should
bring with you; if he's not interested or doesn't know (or isn't willing
to put forth the effort to find out) look for anther AME.

--
Paul Baechler

Google