PDA

View Full Version : Re: Inflatable Rotors (Flying Car?)

Ken Sandyeggo
July 30th 03, 04:16 AM
(sanman) wrote in message >...
> I was reading about inflatable wings:
>
> http://www.spacedaily.com/news/plane-inflatable-wing-01a.html
> http://www.ilcdover.com/EngineeredInfl/inflatwing.pdf
>
> and I wondered why these couldn't be implemented as rotor
> configuration, for a
> "flying car" type of vehicle -- ie. a car that could instantly convert
> to helicopter flight.
>
> If you look back at those older Hiller helicopters, they had big,
> thick, rigid aluminum rotors:
>
> http://avia.russian.ee/vertigo/hiller_x-2-235-r.html
> http://avia.russian.ee/vertigo/hiller_xh-44-r.html
>
> An inflatable equivalent might be somewhat thicker and yet not be so
> rigid, and would not have the high mass penalty.
>
> So you'd be riding a sort of lightweight automotive vehicle along the
> road, and you could switch to helicopter mode, with inflatable rotors
> popping out on the top of your vehicle. Your engine would then power
> the rotors, and you'd fly away. Once you landed again, the deflated
> rotors would be tucked back into whatever compartment they'd popped
> out from.
>
> Cmon, there are all kinds of wierd-looking lightweight concept cars
> out there, so why not this? What would be the main difficulties with a
> concept like this?

Getting anyone to stop laughing long enough to think about it. Are
you related to Moller?

KJSDCAUSA

Christopher
August 5th 03, 11:04 AM
There was a design for an inflatable car years ago it was quit good.
"Ken Sandyeggo" > wrote in message
om...
> (sanman) wrote in message
> > I was reading about inflatable wings:
> >
> > http://www.spacedaily.com/news/plane-inflatable-wing-01a.html
> > http://www.ilcdover.com/EngineeredInfl/inflatwing.pdf
> >
> > and I wondered why these couldn't be implemented as rotor
> > configuration, for a
> > "flying car" type of vehicle -- ie. a car that could instantly convert
> > to helicopter flight.
> >
> > If you look back at those older Hiller helicopters, they had big,
> > thick, rigid aluminum rotors:
> >
> > http://avia.russian.ee/vertigo/hiller_x-2-235-r.html
> > http://avia.russian.ee/vertigo/hiller_xh-44-r.html
> >
> > An inflatable equivalent might be somewhat thicker and yet not be so
> > rigid, and would not have the high mass penalty.
> >
> > So you'd be riding a sort of lightweight automotive vehicle along the
> > road, and you could switch to helicopter mode, with inflatable rotors
> > popping out on the top of your vehicle. Your engine would then power
> > the rotors, and you'd fly away. Once you landed again, the deflated
> > rotors would be tucked back into whatever compartment they'd popped
> > out from.
> >
> > Cmon, there are all kinds of wierd-looking lightweight concept cars
> > out there, so why not this? What would be the main difficulties with a
> > concept like this?
>
> Getting anyone to stop laughing long enough to think about it. Are
> you related to Moller?
>
> KJSDCAUSA

Ken Sandyeggo
August 6th 03, 06:37 AM
"Christopher" > wrote in message >...
> There was a design for an inflatable car years ago it was quit good.

If it was only "moderately good," the way we buy junk, it'd be on the
market. "Quite good" would make it an overwhelming success. If it's
not on the market at all, it was "quite" junk. Maybe had a couple
good features, but not enough that people would buy it, or we'd see
them all over the place.

KJSDCAUSA

> "Ken Sandyeggo" > wrote in message
> om...
> > (sanman) wrote in message
> > > I was reading about inflatable wings:
> > >
> > > http://www.spacedaily.com/news/plane-inflatable-wing-01a.html
> > > http://www.ilcdover.com/EngineeredInfl/inflatwing.pdf
> > >
> > > and I wondered why these couldn't be implemented as rotor
> > > configuration, for a
> > > "flying car" type of vehicle -- ie. a car that could instantly convert
> > > to helicopter flight.
> > >
> > > If you look back at those older Hiller helicopters, they had big,
> > > thick, rigid aluminum rotors:
> > >
> > > http://avia.russian.ee/vertigo/hiller_x-2-235-r.html
> > > http://avia.russian.ee/vertigo/hiller_xh-44-r.html
> > >
> > > An inflatable equivalent might be somewhat thicker and yet not be so
> > > rigid, and would not have the high mass penalty.
> > >
> > > So you'd be riding a sort of lightweight automotive vehicle along the
> > > road, and you could switch to helicopter mode, with inflatable rotors
> > > popping out on the top of your vehicle. Your engine would then power
> > > the rotors, and you'd fly away. Once you landed again, the deflated
> > > rotors would be tucked back into whatever compartment they'd popped
> > > out from.
> > >
> > > Cmon, there are all kinds of wierd-looking lightweight concept cars
> > > out there, so why not this? What would be the main difficulties with a
> > > concept like this?
> >
> > Getting anyone to stop laughing long enough to think about it. Are
> > you related to Moller?
> >
> > KJSDCAUSA

Google