PDA

View Full Version : Re: Heli disappears

C.D. Damron
September 1st 03, 11:34 PM
"dann mann" > wrote in message

> This has me puzzled. The Coast Guard called off the search after some
> great expense I am sure.
> Just asking for info. The case just bugs me for some reason.

(hmmm, my original post never showed up)

The underwater environment does not lend itself to searches. I've had
trouble finding a 400 foot ship in 150 feet of water and I knew where the
damn thing was.

What is the search area? A square mile or more? That is a lot of
territory to search for divers. Depending on the composition and terrain
of the ocean bottom, sonar could be useless. Given the possibility of
magnetic detection, the majority of the aircraft is aluminum and fiberglass.

Add some current and that search area increases, hour by hour.

If the aircraft hit the water at a low velocity, it is possible that damage
was minimal (for a crash) and nothing floated to the surface.

Gasoline dissapates pretty well, especially fast if there is a little chop
in the water.

I'm not surprised it hasn't been found.

dann mann
September 6th 03, 03:51 AM
I stand corrected. All they ever found of this incident was a single
seat cushion. The Robinson must have just screwed itself right down to
the bottom with out a trace. They made a really big deal out of this
man's demise. Gave up the search after 5 solid days and likely a couple
hundred thousand dollars of expense.
Fly safely guys
Thanks
Dan Peterman

Shaber CJ
September 11th 03, 12:41 AM
>I stand corrected. All they ever found of this incident was a single
>seat cushion. The Robinson must have just screwed itself right down to
>the bottom with out a trace. They made a really big deal out of this
>man's demise. Gave up the

They found it yesterday. Pilot still strapped to seat. His mother was on TV
and said it helped with the closure, I am sorry for the loss.

And remember guys, we are all hard on pilots that screw up, but given the
right/wrong circumstances we are all capable of a fatal mistake. Listen,
watch, think and learn.

Now stay safe,

craig

Google