PDA

View Full Version : Marine 1

John Noble
October 4th 03, 06:21 AM
Was watching "West Wing" on TV (love that show), and in one scene they
swooped in with Marine 1 (POTUS onboard) in a pretty aggresive approach.
Seemed pretty cool flying, with a tight LZ; trees, buncha cars and such all
around (yeah, TV- I know).

But it made me wonder; just how agile is that Sikorski? Anyone know who
flys it for the show?

Micbloo
October 4th 03, 04:10 PM
>But it made me wonder; just how agile is that Sikorski? Anyone know who
>flys it for the show?

The ship that they used looked to be an old Sikorsky S-62 (HH-52 USCG) that
was painted up to look like Marine 1.
I believe there is a company that provides classic copters for TV/Movies.
But in last years final episode they actually used one of the USPP Bell 412s
in scenes shot by the Potomac in Georgetown. And the 206 seen in last
Wednesdays episode that was on station over the scene where Marine 1 landed
looked like one of the Virginia State PD
copters.

Gerard

John Roncallo
October 6th 03, 11:54 PM
I dont know how agile, but I do know that it will fly in any kind of weather
and it will lift almost 10000 lb. I bet with just a normal staff of people
it is quite a hot rod. From what I have heard the presidential missions will
always be performed after one practice mission is flown.

J. Roncallo

"John Noble" > wrote in message
m...
> Was watching "West Wing" on TV (love that show), and in one scene they
> swooped in with Marine 1 (POTUS onboard) in a pretty aggresive approach.
> Seemed pretty cool flying, with a tight LZ; trees, buncha cars and such
all
> around (yeah, TV- I know).
>
> But it made me wonder; just how agile is that Sikorski? Anyone know who
> flys it for the show?

Nick Lappos
October 11th 03, 04:53 PM
"John Noble" > wrote in message >...
> Was watching "West Wing" on TV (love that show), and in one scene they
> swooped in with Marine 1 (POTUS onboard) in a pretty aggresive approach.
> Seemed pretty cool flying, with a tight LZ; trees, buncha cars and such all
> around (yeah, TV- I know).
>
> But it made me wonder; just how agile is that Sikorski? Anyone know who
> flys it for the show?

John,

The aircraft currently used by HMX-1 is the VH-3D, a modified version
of the H-3 (civil S-61). It is a tried and true machine, but not the
latest vintage. That machine is certainly a good transport, but only
average in agility as compared with latest designs. The same dynamic
systems (blades, rotors, transmissions engines) was used on the S-67
Blackhawk experimental aircraft that flew in the early 70's and did
great aerobatics, so it is not a slouch agility-wise.

To transport the President, the Squadron also uses a VH-60N, which is
a version of the UH-60 Black Hawk. I know several members of the
Squadron, they are (what would you expect?) as good as it can get, in
every department. They are basically line Marine pilots and mechs who
are selected based on their skills and character.

That scene in last week's "West Wing" used an S-62 with a snazzy paint
job. The shape is vaguely similar, but the S-62 is half the size and
single engine, with less than half the capacity of the H-3. The
opening sequence of WW uses a civil S-61L with paint job. The
President's VH-3 has round sponsons at its sides where the landing
gear come out, as it is a derviative of the US Navy H-3, which is
amphibious. The S-61L is the civil airliner version, with simple gear
struts.

Nick

John Noble
October 11th 03, 08:31 PM
"Nick Lappos" > wrote in message
m...
> "John Noble" > wrote in message
> > Was watching "West Wing" on TV (love that show), and in one scene they
> > swooped in with Marine 1 (POTUS onboard) in a pretty aggresive approach.
> > Seemed pretty cool flying, with a tight LZ; trees, buncha cars and such
all
> > around (yeah, TV- I know).
> >
> > But it made me wonder; just how agile is that Sikorski? Anyone know who
> > flys it for the show?
>
> John,
>
> The aircraft currently used by HMX-1 is the VH-3D, a modified version
> of the H-3 (civil S-61). It is a tried and true machine, but not the
> latest vintage. That machine is certainly a good transport, but only
> average in agility as compared with latest designs. The same dynamic
> systems (blades, rotors, transmissions engines) was used on the S-67
> Blackhawk experimental aircraft that flew in the early 70's and did
> great aerobatics, so it is not a slouch agility-wise.
>
> To transport the President, the Squadron also uses a VH-60N, which is
> a version of the UH-60 Black Hawk. I know several members of the
> Squadron, they are (what would you expect?) as good as it can get, in
> every department. They are basically line Marine pilots and mechs who
> are selected based on their skills and character.
>
> That scene in last week's "West Wing" used an S-62 with a snazzy paint
> job. The shape is vaguely similar, but the S-62 is half the size and
> single engine, with less than half the capacity of the H-3. The
> opening sequence of WW uses a civil S-61L with paint job. The
> President's VH-3 has round sponsons at its sides where the landing
> gear come out, as it is a derviative of the US Navy H-3, which is
> amphibious. The S-61L is the civil airliner version, with simple gear
> struts.
>
> Nick

Thanks for the thorough answer Nick. Anything special about the real Marine
1 (armor, fuel, chaff, guns?.) that makes it different? What kind of speed?
Flying duration? What's the crew- I've seen two in the cockpit and the full
dress guy working the door- other standard crew ion there? On the news, it's
amazing how they haul down the main rotor to a stop in what seems like
seconds... just costs extra brake pads I guess.

mm
October 13th 03, 02:47 PM
"John Noble" > wrote in message
m...

> "Nick Lappos" > wrote in message
> m...
> > "John Noble" > wrote in message
> > > Was watching "West Wing" on TV (love that show), and in one scene they
> > > swooped in with Marine 1 (POTUS onboard) in a pretty aggresive
approach.
> > > Seemed pretty cool flying, with a tight LZ; trees, buncha cars and
such
> all
> > > around (yeah, TV- I know).
> > >
> > > But it made me wonder; just how agile is that Sikorski? Anyone know
who
> > > flys it for the show?
> >
> > John,
> >
> > The aircraft currently used by HMX-1 is the VH-3D, a modified version
> > of the H-3 (civil S-61). It is a tried and true machine, but not the
> > latest vintage. That machine is certainly a good transport, but only
> > average in agility as compared with latest designs. The same dynamic
> > systems (blades, rotors, transmissions engines) was used on the S-67
> > Blackhawk experimental aircraft that flew in the early 70's and did
> > great aerobatics, so it is not a slouch agility-wise.
> >
> > To transport the President, the Squadron also uses a VH-60N, which is
> > a version of the UH-60 Black Hawk. I know several members of the
> > Squadron, they are (what would you expect?) as good as it can get, in
> > every department. They are basically line Marine pilots and mechs who
> > are selected based on their skills and character.
> >
> > That scene in last week's "West Wing" used an S-62 with a snazzy paint
> > job. The shape is vaguely similar, but the S-62 is half the size and
> > single engine, with less than half the capacity of the H-3. The
> > opening sequence of WW uses a civil S-61L with paint job. The
> > President's VH-3 has round sponsons at its sides where the landing
> > gear come out, as it is a derviative of the US Navy H-3, which is
> > amphibious. The S-61L is the civil airliner version, with simple gear
> > struts.
> >
> > Nick
>
> Thanks for the thorough answer Nick. Anything special about the real
Marine
> 1 (armor, fuel, chaff, guns?.) that makes it different? What kind of
speed?
> Flying duration? What's the crew- I've seen two in the cockpit and the
full
> dress guy working the door- other standard crew ion there? On the news,
it's
> amazing how they haul down the main rotor to a stop in what seems like
> seconds... just costs extra brake pads I guess.

That's kind of sensitive information. If he tells you any of it, he will
certainly have to kill you.
mm

John Noble
October 14th 03, 01:26 AM
"mm" > wrote in message ...

> "John Noble" > wrote in message
> m...
> >
> > "Nick Lappos" > wrote in message
> > m...
> approach.
> such
> > all

> who
> > >
> > > John,
> > >
> > > The aircraft currently used by HMX-1 is the VH-3D, a modified version
> > > of the H-3 (civil S-61). It is a tried and true machine, but not the
> > > latest vintage. That machine is certainly a good transport, but only
> > > average in agility as compared with latest designs. The same dynamic
> > > systems (blades, rotors, transmissions engines) was used on the S-67
> > > Blackhawk experimental aircraft that flew in the early 70's and did
> > > great aerobatics, so it is not a slouch agility-wise.
> > >
> > > To transport the President, the Squadron also uses a VH-60N, which is
> > > a version of the UH-60 Black Hawk. I know several members of the
> > > Squadron, they are (what would you expect?) as good as it can get, in
> > > every department. They are basically line Marine pilots and mechs who
> > > are selected based on their skills and character.
> > >
> > > That scene in last week's "West Wing" used an S-62 with a snazzy paint
> > > job. The shape is vaguely similar, but the S-62 is half the size and
> > > single engine, with less than half the capacity of the H-3. The
> > > opening sequence of WW uses a civil S-61L with paint job. The
> > > President's VH-3 has round sponsons at its sides where the landing
> > > gear come out, as it is a derviative of the US Navy H-3, which is
> > > amphibious. The S-61L is the civil airliner version, with simple gear
> > > struts.
> > >
> > > Nick
> >
> > Thanks for the thorough answer Nick. Anything special about the real
> Marine
> > 1 (armor, fuel, chaff, guns?.) that makes it different? What kind of
> speed?
> > Flying duration? What's the crew- I've seen two in the cockpit and the
> full
> > dress guy working the door- other standard crew ion there? On the news,
> it's
> > amazing how they haul down the main rotor to a stop in what seems like
> > seconds... just costs extra brake pads I guess.
> >

> That's kind of sensitive information. If he tells you any of it, he will
> certainly have to kill you.
> mm

Yeah, I was thinking that after I wrote it...

Google