PDA

View Full Version : Is there a FAA Manual for Heli flight examiners? gps required?

Eric D
October 21st 03, 10:46 PM
> Re: GPS: If a piece of equipment is installed in the machine that will
> be used in a checkride the PIC must know its functionality and be able
> to demonstrate its use. For a private checkride there's no requirement
> to know GPS use unless its installed and not marked inop before the
> ride. Knowledge of Pilotage and Dead Reckoning is probably a far more
> important skill to be able to demonstrate.
>
> Bart

Thanks for the info Bart. The reason for the question on the gps, one
of the two instructors he flies with is telling him that gps is
required equipment for the check ride. The Robinson R22 he flies and
would like to use for the checkride does not have gps. Has something
since 9-11 changed that now requires it?

Eric D

Barry
October 28th 03, 09:27 PM
There is no requirement for use of a GPS on any FAA Private or Commercial
check ride. However, PTS Task VII(B) Radio Navigation and Radar Services,
is a required flight operation on the practical test. In order to be
evaluated on that task, the aircraft MUST be equipped with either a VOR
receiver, GPS receiver or Loran receiver. You may download the relevant
Practical Test Standard at: http://afs600.faa.gov.

If the helicopter to be used for the check ride is not equipped with a VOR
receiver, then it must be equipped with one of the other forms of electronic
navigation sufficient to demonstrate the navigation task as required on the
Practical Test Standard.

Recently, FAA Headquarters in Washington changed its position on the use of
hand-held VOR and GPS receivers for FAA check rides and is now allowing use
of them on the FAA check ride if certain requirements are met. On the
above-referenced web site, click on "Part 61 Frequently Asked Questions" and
search for "GPS" and you will find all you need to know about its use on FAA
check rides. Use of hand-held VORs are also addressed in the same section.

Lastly, FAA Order 8710-3C Pilot Examiner's Handbook is also available
online. The above web site will contain a link to find it. It's fairly
large to download and somewhat out of date, but available free, should you
wish to look at it. Hope this helps. Tailwinds, - Antique Examiner

"Eric D" > wrote in message
om...
> > Re: GPS: If a piece of equipment is installed in the machine that will
> > be used in a checkride the PIC must know its functionality and be able
> > to demonstrate its use. For a private checkride there's no requirement
> > to know GPS use unless its installed and not marked inop before the
> > ride. Knowledge of Pilotage and Dead Reckoning is probably a far more
> > important skill to be able to demonstrate.
> >
> > Bart
>
> Thanks for the info Bart. The reason for the question on the gps, one
> of the two instructors he flies with is telling him that gps is
> required equipment for the check ride. The Robinson R22 he flies and
> would like to use for the checkride does not have gps. Has something
> since 9-11 changed that now requires it?
>
> Eric D

Eric D
October 29th 03, 12:34 PM
Thank you! This is just what I was looking for. I will pass it on to my friend.

Thanks again!

Eric D

> Recently, FAA Headquarters in Washington changed its position on the use of
> hand-held VOR and GPS receivers for FAA check rides and is now allowing use
> of them on the FAA check ride if certain requirements are met. On the
> above-referenced web site, click on "Part 61 Frequently Asked Questions" and
> search for "GPS" and you will find all you need to know about its use on FAA
> check rides. Use of hand-held VORs are also addressed in the same section.
>
> Lastly, FAA Order 8710-3C Pilot Examiner's Handbook is also available
> online. The above web site will contain a link to find it. It's fairly
> large to download and somewhat out of date, but available free, should you
> wish to look at it. Hope this helps. Tailwinds, - Antique Examiner

Google