PDA

View Full Version : Navigation Lights

Tim
November 1st 03, 01:28 PM
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me with regard to the following...

I am planning to build a radio controlled scale helicopter and I'm looking
for info on navigation and anti-collision lights; position, colour, flash
rates etc.

I appreciate the exact positioning will vary between aircraft, but can
anyone advise me of the basic CAA/FAA requirements? The two helicopters I am
considering are either a Bell 222 or Ecureil (A-Star).

Thanks,

Tim

---

Stan Gosnell
November 2nd 03, 12:02 AM
"Tim" > wrote in
:

> Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me with regard to the
> following...
>
> I am planning to build a radio controlled scale helicopter
> and I'm looking for info on navigation and anti-collision
> lights; position, colour, flash rates etc.
>
> I appreciate the exact positioning will vary between
> aircraft, but can anyone advise me of the basic CAA/FAA
> requirements? The two helicopters I am considering are
> either a Bell 222 or Ecureil (A-Star).

The anticollision light is usually on the top of the vertical
fin, but can be on top or the bottom of the aircraft. There are
no hard and fast rules on color, position, flash rate, etc. The
anticollision light can be red or white; strobe or rotating
light; any placement where it can be seen.

The position lights are placed where they can best be seen;
at least one green light on the right side, a red light on the
left side, and a white light on the tail.

On the 222, the position lights are on the sponsons, and the
anticollision light is on top of the vertical fin.

On the AS350, IIRC the position lights are on the horizontal
stabilizer, and the anticollision light is on the top of the
vertical fin.

The anticollision lights vary, but strobes are becoming the
usual method, because the old Grimes rotating lights are just
too unreliable. The color is red or white, it doesn't matter.

--
Regards,

Stan

Tim
November 2nd 03, 12:40 AM
"Stan Gosnell" <me@work> wrote in message
> "Tim" > wrote in
> :
>
> > Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me with regard to the
> > following...
> >
> > I am planning to build a radio controlled scale helicopter
> > and I'm looking for info on navigation and anti-collision
> > lights; position, colour, flash rates etc.
> >
> > I appreciate the exact positioning will vary between
> > aircraft, but can anyone advise me of the basic CAA/FAA
> > requirements? The two helicopters I am considering are
> > either a Bell 222 or Ecureil (A-Star).
>
> The anticollision light is usually on the top of the vertical
> fin, but can be on top or the bottom of the aircraft. There are
> no hard and fast rules on color, position, flash rate, etc. The
> anticollision light can be red or white; strobe or rotating
> light; any placement where it can be seen.
>
> The position lights are placed where they can best be seen;
> at least one green light on the right side, a red light on the
> left side, and a white light on the tail.
>
> On the 222, the position lights are on the sponsons, and the
> anticollision light is on top of the vertical fin.
>
> On the AS350, IIRC the position lights are on the horizontal
> stabilizer, and the anticollision light is on the top of the
> vertical fin.
>
> The anticollision lights vary, but strobes are becoming the
> usual method, because the old Grimes rotating lights are just
> too unreliable. The color is red or white, it doesn't matter.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Stan

Stan

Thanks very much for your help.

Tim

---

Stan Gosnell
November 3rd 03, 09:19 AM
"Tim" > wrote in
:

> Thanks very much for your help.

You're welcome. And if you want to see where the position
lights on a 222 are, the Bell website has one on the home page.

--
Regards,

Stan

Google