PDA

View Full Version : Dubya / Kill Devil Hills irony

Bart
December 17th 03, 02:54 PM
I'm watching the President's speech on CNN now at Kill Devil Hills.
The fact that there's a _huge_ TFR surrounding the area bothers me
a little. I wonder is he's really aware of how much impact he had
on GA and the people trying to get in and out of there.

I did notice that unlike the routine presidential TFR notams, this
one isnt totally prohibitive.

Bart

December 17th 03, 03:49 PM
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:54:53 -0500, Bart > wrote:

> I wonder is he's really aware

Nope, not based on what I've seen and read about him. Poor sod.

Dave Blevins

Jim Carriere
December 17th 03, 04:57 PM
"Bart" > wrote in message
> I'm watching the President's speech on CNN now at Kill Devil Hills.
> The fact that there's a _huge_ TFR surrounding the area bothers me
> a little. I wonder is he's really aware of how much impact he had
> on GA and the people trying to get in and out of there.
>
> I did notice that unlike the routine presidential TFR notams, this
> one isnt totally prohibitive.

I guess the replica is exempt? :)

Bart
December 17th 03, 11:56 PM
According to the wording of the Notam, the replica would not have been
able to take off because it doesnt contain a transponder. I know this
is a picayune detail, its pretty funny.

In fact though Dubya was long gone before they attemped a take off, so
I suspect the TFR had been cancelled.

Real shame they didn't get it off the ground. It was fun rooting
for them.

>Jim Carriere wrote:
>
> I guess the replica is exempt? :)

Micbloo
December 18th 03, 02:39 AM
>I'm watching the President's speech on CNN now at Kill Devil Hills.
>The fact that there's a _huge_ TFR surrounding the area bothers me
>a little.

Did he fly in on Marine 1?

Bart
December 18th 03, 02:48 PM
Yep.

Micbloo wrote:

> Did he fly in on Marine 1?

Micbloo
December 19th 03, 01:02 AM
>Yep.

Thanks

John Roncallo
December 20th 03, 02:57 AM
Jim Carriere wrote:

> "Bart" > wrote in message
>
>>I'm watching the President's speech on CNN now at Kill Devil Hills.
>>The fact that there's a _huge_ TFR surrounding the area bothers me
>>a little. I wonder is he's really aware of how much impact he had
>>on GA and the people trying to get in and out of there.
>>
>>I did notice that unlike the routine presidential TFR notams, this
>>one isnt totally prohibitive.
>

> I guess the replica is exempt? :)

According to AOPA, they had worked out a special exemption just for the
replica. It would have been real cool if they said No cant fly it TFR.

J. Roncallo

John Roncallo
December 20th 03, 03:02 AM
Micbloo wrote:

>>I'm watching the President's speech on CNN now at Kill Devil Hills.
>>The fact that there's a _huge_ TFR surrounding the area bothers me
>>a little.
>

> Did he fly in on Marine 1?

Flew in with Marine one supported with another VH-3D and three VH-53E's.
A Coast Guard HH-60J was also hovering in the area.

John Roncallo

Micbloo
December 20th 03, 04:43 PM
>Flew in with Marine one supported with another VH-3D and three VH-53E's.
> A Coast Guard HH-60J was also hovering in the area.

Thanks. That's always a cool thing to see. I was on Staten Island (NYC) about
13/14 years ago when Daddy Bush came in for a fund raiser. They had two VH-3s
and three Sea Knights (VH-46s?) and two NYPD 412s in the area. Very impressive
display.

Gerard

Google