PDA

View Full Version : Robinsons R-22

brien
December 23rd 03, 04:33 PM
Just read about people selling run out Robinsons for continued service.
Anybody know just how wide spread this pratice is.

Gyroplanes
December 25th 03, 05:34 AM
Not sure what you mean.
Flying them beyond the life limit of some components?
Or flying them beyond the factory recommended overhaul?
I'm sure there are some people doing both.
Tom (new R-22 owner)

brien
December 26th 03, 04:49 PM
Their is a Robinson R22 Beta on e-bay with 2191 hours Since Robinson Factory
Overhaul it is due a 2200hr overhaul in 9 hours. I believe this is a
manditory limit and you can't fly over it in the U.S.
The person selling the Beta also states "it will be sold only to someone who
will overhaul it. I realize there are people selling run out Robinsons for
continued service".
"Gyroplanes" > wrote in message
> Not sure what you mean.
> Flying them beyond the life limit of some components?
> Or flying them beyond the factory recommended overhaul?
> I'm sure there are some people doing both.
> Tom (new R-22 owner)

Gyroplanes
December 27th 03, 02:53 AM
I saw that one on ebay as well right after I replied to your post. I thought
that might be what you are referring to.
As I understand it. The "overhaul" of the whole helicopter is NOT mandatory
with the FAA. There are life limited components on the Robinson helicopter (as
with any brand) and they must be overhauled or replaced as they expire.
If I remember correctly there are four items that must be replaced or
overhauled at 2200 hours TT, not counting the suggested 2200 hour TBO of the
engine.
Things are different if the aircraft is being used in FAA Part 135 (Air Taxi)
operation. Under 135 TBOs become mandatory (although somee extension may be
granted by the cognizant FAA FSDO or MIDO
Tom

Stevenatherton
December 27th 03, 02:21 PM
what are the 4 componants steve

Gyroplanes
December 27th 03, 09:39 PM
>what are the 4 componants

If I had my Maintenance manual I could be sure, but I think it's the main rotor
blades/spindles, spindle and teeter bolts and the tail rotor gearbox gears.
Tom

Murphy's law
December 28th 03, 03:25 AM
"brien" > wrote in message >...
> Just read about people selling run out Robinsons for continued service.
> Anybody know just how wide spread this pratice is.

a certified "timed out" is better than any experimental

Bob
December 29th 03, 03:38 AM
Once any aircraft is "timed out" either because of manufacturer's
recommended time between overhauls (TBO) Maintenance Manual Chapter 5, or
service life limits Maintenance Manual Chapter 4, it is NO LONGER
"CERTIFIED" as the Type Certificate Data Sheet which is the aircraft's
certification basis has been compromised.

I don't know much about these Robinsons having been a heavy helicopter (up
to Chinook) maintenence inspector for about 20 years. I will tell you that
lots of mis-information and supposition flies around this newsgroup. ALL
aircraft in the USA except for experimentals operate under one OR MORE of
the Federal Aviation Regulations the LEAST of which being FAR Part 91. You
guys should find yourselves a copy as well as the Maintenance Manual for
whatever aircraft you care to discuss AND READ the appropriate sections of
them. You'll find yourselves breathing a lot longer and out of violation.

Google