PDA

View Full Version : Student Rotorcraft Renter's Insurance

Davdirect
January 5th 04, 02:28 PM
Does anyone know of a source of renters insurance for a student R22 pilot? I
was on AOPA's website and they only cover fixed wing. I'm not comfortable with
the amount of insurance my school carries.
Thanks
Dave

Bart
January 5th 04, 05:13 PM
Davdirect wrote:
> Does anyone know of a source of renters insurance for a student R22 pilot? I
> was on AOPA's website and they only cover fixed wing. I'm not comfortable with
> the amount of insurance my school carries.
> Thanks
> Dave

I don't believe there is any such thing for any rotorcraft. There was a
company about 5 years ago that wrote a limited policy, but they no
longer offer it.

Bart

Davdirect
January 5th 04, 08:02 PM
Yikes,
I called a couple of rotorcraft insurance companies and they said there's
nobody in the US who issues a policy to protect the students. So if you're
going to a school who doesnt carry hull insurance (or enough) what happens?
You're just S.O.L. if you wreck it? I love flying as much as the next guy, but
not really enough to lose my house,etc if I have a problem.
Dave
davdirect

Bart
January 5th 04, 11:02 PM
I had the same concern. I originally started taking lessons at a nice
Mom n Pop shop that had a few helicopters, but then I learned how much I
was hanging out there from a liability perspective. Within a week I
headed off for Bell's training center. I figured between Textron and
Bell they'd have enough insurance to cover my butt. Besides the training
there was far more intense and in-depth than I'd have gotten elsewhere.
Downside: 800+/hr. Upside: I only had to fly piston jobs for 8 hours. Oh
well... you get what you pay for I suppose.

Bart

Davdirect wrote:
> Yikes,
> I called a couple of rotorcraft insurance companies and they said there's
> nobody in the US who issues a policy to protect the students. So if you're
> going to a school who doesnt carry hull insurance (or enough) what happens?
> You're just S.O.L. if you wreck it? I love flying as much as the next guy, but
> not really enough to lose my house,etc if I have a problem.
> Dave
> davdirect

Google