PDA

View Full Version : Ultrasport kit helicopter

vince
January 15th 04, 03:29 PM
I was hoping that I could get some advice on the Ultrasport Kit
helicopter, in particular on REAL build times for the 331 and 496??. I
have been told that the Rotorway is approximately 800-1000 hours, and
that the ultrasport is far quicker at about 300 hours. I am from the
UK, and there are no ultrasport helicopters here.
Rotorway is the only kit helicopter accepted and on the market in the
UK.
I would like to hear from anyone who regularily flies these machines
with the new Hirth engine?

Thanks Guys

Vince (England)

Gyroplanes
January 16th 04, 05:40 AM
I did an Airworthiness Certification on a Ultrasport U/L helicopter.
The builder said he had to redesign a good deal of the machine and wasn't at
all impressed with their engineering.
He has been flying it for several years and also tired of having to rebuild
the Hirth every year after an unexpected autorotation. He re-engined it and is
now quite happy with the aircraft.
I was surprised at how many major things he had to change on the airframe.
I am very active in sport rotorcraft and this is the only non-factory
Ultrasport that I have heard of that is flying.
In all fairness his could have been a very early model and as such still had
"bugs" to be worked out.
Good luck, Tom

January 16th 04, 01:55 PM
Have you ever done Airworthiness certification on other homebuilt
helicopters? Such as the helicycle, Scorpion, AW95, etc.?

If so, what kind of problems did you encounter? And what type of
certification did you issue?

Dennis H.

(Gyroplanes) wrote:

> I did an Airworthiness Certification on a Ultrasport U/L helicopter.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video: http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm

January 16th 04, 07:18 PM
That tail rotor on the Ultrasports just looks too flimsy to me. (I've
never seen one in person though.)

Have you considered the CH-7 Kompress? That and the Baby Bell/Safari are
the only kit helicopters that I would personally consider.

Dave Blevins

On 15 Jan 2004 07:29:18 -0800, (vince) wrote:

>I was hoping that I could get some advice on the Ultrasport Kit
>helicopter, in particular on REAL build times for the 331 and 496??. I
>have been told that the Rotorway is approximately 800-1000 hours, and
>that the ultrasport is far quicker at about 300 hours. I am from the
>UK, and there are no ultrasport helicopters here.
>Rotorway is the only kit helicopter accepted and on the market in the
>UK.
>I would like to hear from anyone who regularily flies these machines
>with the new Hirth engine?
>
>Thanks Guys
>
>Vince (England)

Gyroplanes
January 17th 04, 03:51 AM
>Have you ever done Airworthiness certification on other homebuilt
>helicopters? Such as the helicycle, Scorpion, AW95, etc.?

Yes, I had the honor of certifying the first turbine Helicycle and have done
several since.
I have also certified several Rotorway Execs, Mini 500s and a couple AW type
helicopters.

>If so, what kind of problems did you encounter?

Problems? The only kit I've heard anything bad about was the Ultrasport, and in
fairness since there was only one there isn't any "second opinion"
The guy eliminated two of the four tailrotor blades. Added two supports to the
tail boom to keep it from swaying. Built up what he said was a very weak
landing gear and had to redesign the mast with a thicker wall due to flexing.
The Hirth became a boat anchor and he now claims to be flying trouble free.

And what type of
>certification did you issue?
Experimental, Amateur-built
Tom

January 17th 04, 01:17 PM
(Gyroplanes) wrote:

> Problems? The only kit I've heard anything bad about was the Ultrasport, and in
> fairness since there was only one there isn't any "second opinion"
> The guy eliminated two of the four tailrotor blades. Added two supports to the
> tail boom to keep it from swaying. Built up what he said was a very weak
> landing gear and had to redesign the mast with a thicker wall due to flexing.
> The Hirth became a boat anchor and he now claims to be flying trouble free.

Looks like they can forget about ultralight category with all those
additions.

> And what type of
> >certification did you issue?
> Experimental, Amateur-built

A guy from Rotorway told me that there was a nasty certification that
one might get if the FAA inspector didn't like what he saw, but the
ship met minimum guidlines. He said that if you had this designation,
that you had to get permission from the FAA every time you flew it. I
don't remember exactly what he said, but it was some kind of
sub-category off the Experimental, Amateur Built certification. Do
you know what he was talking about?

He also told me that I should notify the FAA of my intent to
rebuild/modify a scorpion. What is your opinion on this?

Dennis H.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video: http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm

Kathryn & Stuart Fields
January 18th 04, 05:10 PM
Thank you Dave for that unsolicited support for the Safari
Stuart Fields Safari pilot/broker
> wrote in message
> That tail rotor on the Ultrasports just looks too flimsy to me. (I've
> never seen one in person though.)
>
> Have you considered the CH-7 Kompress? That and the Baby Bell/Safari are
> the only kit helicopters that I would personally consider.
>
> Dave Blevins
>
> On 15 Jan 2004 07:29:18 -0800, (vince) wrote:
>
> >I was hoping that I could get some advice on the Ultrasport Kit
> >helicopter, in particular on REAL build times for the 331 and 496??. I
> >have been told that the Rotorway is approximately 800-1000 hours, and
> >that the ultrasport is far quicker at about 300 hours. I am from the
> >UK, and there are no ultrasport helicopters here.
> >Rotorway is the only kit helicopter accepted and on the market in the
> >UK.
> >I would like to hear from anyone who regularily flies these machines
> >with the new Hirth engine?
> >
> >Thanks Guys
> >
> >Vince (England)

Bob
January 19th 04, 07:04 AM
How does one just go about "eliminating" two of four tail rotor blades?
THAT'S an interesting one. Lemme guess...he just made sure he "eliminated"
opposite blades so there wouldn't be a balance problem. :)

Bob
January 19th 04, 07:09 AM
....But I BET the helicopter is GREAT at making right turns.

Google