PDA

View Full Version : Re: RAFGSA Bicester

October 7th 14, 07:43 PM
On Thursday, January 16, 2003 6:37:23 PM UTC-5, Whitson Bush wrote:
> Just wondering how many of us have flown at Bicester and when.

I started flying there when I arrived at Upper Heyford AFB (F-111's) in '71, Andy Gough in command. Jock Wishard? second in command. They were very welcoming to us USAF types, and I soloed there in a K-8.
However, one must arrive, ready to push out gliders just after the crack of dawn, even in the dead of winter, and one was expected to say until the hanger doors were closed and everyone retired to the little pub room to settle up. Great memories. Monty Montieth was there, Dave Martin, and I remember Ian Strachan although he wouldn't remember me. Also John Glossop. I crewed for Montieth at the Nationals in Herefordshire in fall '71.
I later went on to fly at Dunstable, High Wycombe (Chris ??? CFI - great guy), And Lasham. D. Pigot checked me out for cloud flying in a falk, but I never put it use. Just as well.
AW

Colin Wray[_3_]
October 8th 14, 02:49 PM
On Tuesday, 7 October 2014 19:43:18 UTC+1, wrote:
> On Thursday, January 16, 2003 6:37:23 PM UTC-5, Whitson Bush wrote:
>
> > Just wondering how many of us have flown at Bicester and when.

I was there 1963-66 with Andy Gough, Ron Newall, Dick Stratton, Taff Thomas, Ian Strachan, Con Greaves, Groupie (spreaders) Goodbody, Paddy Kearon, and fresh from Halton - George Lee (he has often reminded me that I am in his logbook as instructor, which would have been in a T21).

Too many stories to tell here, but I have been at Dunstable since 1974, towed nearly 11,000 gliders with an assortment of tugs, and am still flying my Grob G109B.

Google