PDA

View Full Version : Pan Am PAI 747 display?

Dr. Speedbyrd:>
July 9th 03, 02:48 AM
I downloaded the 747 Pan Am Clipper (PW) from PAI, but can't get it to display. The install
looks correct with the model.pw and texture.paa which I set up with the Pan Am texture, but the
plane just doesn't appear. Any idears?

Thanks,

Ron Ginsberg
July 12th 03, 09:21 PM
Dr. Speedbyrd:> wrote:

> I downloaded the 747 Pan Am Clipper (PW) from PAI, but can't get it to display. The install
> looks correct with the model.pw and texture.paa which I set up with the Pan Am texture, but the
> plane just doesn't appear. Any idears?
>
> Thanks,

Couple of suggestions:

1. Bring up the plane in Create A Flight. Does it show OK on the
preview? If so, place it on a runway, go to spot view, and see how it
looks. This checks the model.

2. Did you create a flight plan using it and merge it into your FS2K2 AI
flight schedule? If you are not familiar with the procedures, download
AI Traffic Mover from the usual sources. It includes the decompiler and
compiler necessary to retrieve the current AI schedule, a GUI front end
that lets you edit and merge in your stuff, and a compiler to recreate
the traffic.bgl file. It also includes analysis and scheduling tools
built in. The analysis lets you check the validity of the aircraft,
routes, and other issues. It must be scheduled to show. To see how the
data should look, just download an AI flightplan and look at the various
files.

3. I just downloaded and started using AI Tactical Display. Within an
active flight you can open up this plug-in's window and it shows as
targets the AI in the area. Click on a target and you get data about its
current status. I use it along with visual monitoring to check the
validity of the aircraft flight model. As an example, I had a 757-200
that would taxi on to the runway and stay there forever. AITD showed it
was at full throttle and indicated it was on take-off roll as commanded
by the AI engine. Bad model. I replaced it with a similar version and
all was well again.

4. There are FAQs posted in the Help forum of Project AI. Also get AFCAD
and its FAQ to check-out and modify the virtual airport plan AI uses.

5. It was I think the Jan and Feb issues of Computer Pilot that had very
nioce tutorials on the whole business. AI is complex and I suggest you
get these issues if you are sticking to FS2K2.

Dave Pearson
July 15th 03, 11:05 AM
* Dr. Speedbyrd:> >:

> I downloaded the 747 Pan Am Clipper (PW) from PAI, but can't get it to
> display. The install looks correct with the model.pw and texture.paa which
> I set up with the Pan Am texture, but the plane just doesn't appear. Any
> idears?

Doesn't appear in the list of available aircraft or doesn't appear in
internal/external views once you've selected the aircraft and started a
flight?

--
Dave Pearson
http://www.davep.org/

Dr. Speedbyrd:>
July 15th 03, 02:15 PM
On 15 Jul 2003 10:05:25 GMT, Dave Pearson > wrote:

>* Dr. Speedbyrd:> >:
>
>> I downloaded the 747 Pan Am Clipper (PW) from PAI, but can't get it to
>> display. The install looks correct with the model.pw and texture.paa which
>> I set up with the Pan Am texture, but the plane just doesn't appear. Any
>> idears?
>
>Doesn't appear in the list of available aircraft or doesn't appear in
>internal/external views once you've selected the aircraft and started a
>flight?

Nope but it's ok. Found Pan Am textures for the default 747 and works just fine.
Little steep on the climb, but all else is good. Thanks.

Dr. Speedbyrd:>
July 16th 03, 01:54 AM
On 15 Jul 2003 14:12:04 GMT, Dave Pearson > wrote:

>* Dr. Speedbyrd:> >:
>
>> On 15 Jul 2003 10:05:25 GMT, Dave Pearson > wrote:
>>
>> >Doesn't appear in the list of available aircraft or doesn't appear in
>> >internal/external views once you've selected the aircraft and started a
>> >flight?
>>
>> Nope but it's ok. [SNIP]
>
>Out of interest, which was it (didn't appear in list, invisible aircraft or
>something else)? The reason I ask is that I knocked up a visual damage flag
>"manager" the other week¹ and used it to set the visual damage flag, in all
>aircaft.cfg files, on. The other day I went to use an aircraft I'd not used
>in a while and noticed that it was invisible in all external views.
>
>Only when I turned off the visual damage flag did the aircraft become
>visible again. If the problem was that you had an invisible 747 (stealth
>civil aviation? could be fun...) then it might have been a similar issue.
>
>-----
>¹ ObPlug: Vamage <URL:http://www.davep.org/misc/>, it's free software.

the plane just wasn't there.

Alan White
July 16th 03, 08:31 AM
On 15 Jul 2003 19:54:18 -0500, "Dr. Speedbyrd:>"
> wrote:

>the plane just wasn't there.

Did you assign a panel to it?

--
Alan White
Twenty-eight miles NW of Glasgow.

Dave Pearson
July 16th 03, 08:44 AM
* Dr. Speedbyrd:> >:

> On 15 Jul 2003 14:12:04 GMT, Dave Pearson > wrote:
>
> >Out of interest, which was it (didn't appear in list, invisible aircraft or
> >something else)? [SNIP]
>
> the plane just wasn't there.

I'd gathered that much, but where was "there"? The aircraft selection
interface?

--
Dave Pearson
http://www.davep.org/

Dr. Speedbyrd:>
July 16th 03, 02:17 PM
On 16 Jul 2003 07:44:57 GMT, Dave Pearson > wrote:

>* Dr. Speedbyrd:> >:
>
>> On 15 Jul 2003 14:12:04 GMT, Dave Pearson > wrote:
>>
>> >Out of interest, which was it (didn't appear in list, invisible aircraft or
>> >something else)? [SNIP]
>>
>> the plane just wasn't there.
>
>I'd gathered that much, but where was "there"? The aircraft selection
>interface?

It's taken care of. I found Pan Am texture for another 747 model and now it's 'there'.

Dave Pearson
July 16th 03, 03:50 PM
* Dr. Speedbyrd:> >:

> On 16 Jul 2003 07:44:57 GMT, Dave Pearson > wrote:
>
> >I'd gathered that much, but where was "there"? The aircraft selection
> >interface?
>
> It's taken care of.

Yes, you said that earlier.

> I found Pan Am texture for another 747 model and now
> it's 'there'.

But like I keep asking, where is "there"?

--
Dave Pearson
http://www.davep.org/

Dr. Speedbyrd:>
July 17th 03, 05:16 AM
On 16 Jul 2003 14:50:55 GMT, Dave Pearson > wrote:

>* Dr. Speedbyrd:> >:
>
>> On 16 Jul 2003 07:44:57 GMT, Dave Pearson > wrote:
>>
>> >I'd gathered that much, but where was "there"? The aircraft selection
>> >interface?
>>
>> It's taken care of.
>
>Yes, you said that earlier.
>
>> I found Pan Am texture for another 747 model and now
>> it's 'there'.
>
>But like I keep asking, where is "there"?

It doesn't matter! It's fixed!!

Alan White
July 17th 03, 08:17 AM
On 16 Jul 2003 23:16:14 -0500, "Dr. Speedbyrd:>"
> wrote:

>It doesn't matter! It's fixed!!

It does matter.

Other people may have a similar problem and your 'fix' could help
them.

Where, please, is 'there'?

--
Alan White
Twenty-eight miles NW of Glasgow.
Overlooking Loch Goil and Loch Long in Argyll, Scotland.
http://tinyurl.com/55v3

Dave Pearson
July 17th 03, 05:12 PM
* Dr. Speedbyrd:> >:

> On 17 Jul 2003 09:17:30 GMT, Dave Pearson > wrote:
>
> >Is there a reason why you'd sooner not share this bit of information?
>
> because then you'd know as much as I do

<sigh>

--
Dave Pearson
http://www.davep.org/

Dave Pearson
July 17th 03, 05:14 PM
* Dr. Speedbyrd:> >:

> This is why I hesitate to present any issue on here, as it always turns
> into a big deal.

It's only a "big deal" because you wouldn't provide the info. For a while
there I thought you'd not quite understood the question.

> I told you I fixed it by installing a different plane
> altogether which works just fine. The original one never did appear.
> enough about it already.

If you'd just said where "there" was in the first place you wouldn't need to
say "enough .. already".

But it's amusing, right?

--
Dave Pearson
http://www.davep.org/

Dr. Speedbyrd:>
July 17th 03, 05:54 PM
On 17 Jul 2003 16:14:24 GMT, Dave Pearson > wrote:

>* Dr. Speedbyrd:> >:
>
>> This is why I hesitate to present any issue on here, as it always turns
>> into a big deal.
>
>It's only a "big deal" because you wouldn't provide the info. For a while
>there I thought you'd not quite understood the question.
>
>> I told you I fixed it by installing a different plane
>> altogether which works just fine. The original one never did appear.
>> enough about it already.
>
>If you'd just said where "there" was in the first place you wouldn't need to
>say "enough .. already".
>
>But it's amusing, right?

I think you misunderstand. I never NEEDED to say anything. I owe no accounting to you or
anyone. Now, I'm going to say this one more time and see if you get it:

I downloaded the PAI 742PW original paint kit from Project AI
I also downloaded the Pan Am textures from the same site.
I installed the PAI 742PW aircraft and set up a new texture folder, "texture.paa" in which I
put the Pan Am textures.

I fixed the aircraft.cfg file to indicate I was using the model.pw, the paa texture files and I
properly named the aircraft PAI B742 PAA and added this to my aircraft.txt file via Traffic
Tools. I then created a flight in AI Traffic Mover for a flight of this plane from SAEZ to
KJFK. According to my flight schedule, I set the departure time from SAEZ at 20:20 GMT
I opened FS2002 and placed myself at SAEZ at 20:18. The aircraft should have been THERE.
It was not. All other aircraft that should have been sitting at SAEZ at that time were THERE.
I cannot account for why this one doesn't appear.

To get a PAA 747 into my AI traffic, I downloaded PAA textures that would coincide with the
default 747. Though not as realistic, this aircraft does appear with no problem. It is not
designed as an AI aircraft, but suffices until I can figure out why the Project AI model
doesn't load in.

Now is there ANY questions still remaining about this neverending subject?

Alan White
July 17th 03, 06:16 PM
On 17 Jul 2003 11:54:15 -0500, "Dr. Speedbyrd:>"
> wrote:

>Now is there ANY questions still remaining about this neverending subject?

Sigh!

--
Alan White
Twenty-eight miles NW of Glasgow.
Overlooking Loch Goil and Loch Long in Argyll, Scotland.
http://tinyurl.com/55v3

Dave Pearson
July 17th 03, 06:42 PM
* Dr. Speedbyrd:> >:

> On 17 Jul 2003 16:14:24 GMT, Dave Pearson > wrote:
>
> >But it's amusing, right?
>
> I think you misunderstand. I never NEEDED to say anything. I owe no
> accounting to you or anyone.

Good grief man! Who said you owed anyone anything? Why be so defensive? I
asked a simple question by way of wondering if you'd experienced a similar
problem to one that I'd experienced a short while back and you've been
evasive ever since. Generally I'm used to people who seek help being helpful
back. I don't, however, expect such decent behaviour.

> Now, I'm going to say this one more time and
> see if you get it:

Ahh, and a snide insult too. Why? What purpose does it serve?

> [SNIP]

So it didn't show up as AI traffic? Right, thank-you, that's all I was
asking.

> Now is there ANY questions still remaining about this neverending subject?

No, now that you've answered the one question I asked a while back and you
kept avoiding and for which you've got defensive for some incomprehensible
reason.

--
Dave Pearson
http://www.davep.org/

Dr. Speedbyrd:>
July 17th 03, 07:00 PM
On 17 Jul 2003 17:42:39 GMT, Dave Pearson > wrote:

>* Dr. Speedbyrd:> >:
>
>> On 17 Jul 2003 16:14:24 GMT, Dave Pearson > wrote:
>>
>> >But it's amusing, right?
>>
>> I think you misunderstand. I never NEEDED to say anything. I owe no
>> accounting to you or anyone.
>
>Good grief man! Who said you owed anyone anything? Why be so defensive? I
>asked a simple question by way of wondering if you'd experienced a similar
>problem to one that I'd experienced a short while back and you've been
>evasive ever since. Generally I'm used to people who seek help being helpful
>back. I don't, however, expect such decent behaviour.
>
>> Now, I'm going to say this one more time and
>> see if you get it:
>
>Ahh, and a snide insult too. Why? What purpose does it serve?
>
>> [SNIP]
>
>So it didn't show up as AI traffic? Right, thank-you, that's all I was
>asking.
>
>> Now is there ANY questions still remaining about this neverending subject?
>
>No, now that you've answered the one question I asked a while back and you
>kept avoiding and for which you've got defensive for some incomprehensible
>reason.

Nope. You just wanted to have your own way, like some puberty stricken juvenile.

Now, the shed additional light on this tiresome subject,
I can see the aircraft when I open the aircraft library and scroll down to the B742. It spins
around in the little window all nice and pretty, but it will not show at any airport where it
is supposed to be, according to AI flight schedules. I've tested for erros in AI Traffic Mover
and all works fine and the times have been confirmed. I can load this aircraft as though I
were flying it myself and I can see it nicely in tower view and spot view. It still will not
show as AI traffic. I know this is something simple, but I'm baffled.

Alan White
July 17th 03, 09:01 PM
On 17 Jul 2003 13:00:18 -0500, "Dr. Speedbyrd:>"
> wrote:

>I know this is something simple, but I'm baffled.

Well, if you'd answered my original question, 'What have you tried?',
you might have got some help for a problem which you still haven't
solved.

After your petulant display I doubt whether anyone will be all that
keen to help you in the future.

--
Alan White
Twenty-eight miles NW of Glasgow.
Overlooking Loch Goil and Loch Long in Argyll, Scotland.
http://tinyurl.com/55v3

Dave Pearson
July 17th 03, 09:11 PM
* Dr. Speedbyrd:> >:

> On 17 Jul 2003 17:42:39 GMT, Dave Pearson > wrote:
>
> >No, now that you've answered the one question I asked a while back and
> >you kept avoiding and for which you've got defensive for some
> >incomprehensible reason.
>
> Nope. You just wanted to have your own way, like some puberty stricken
> juvenile.

Huh? I was only asking a simple question. Partly to understand what the
problem was that you solved and partly to check if what you were suffering
could possibly be related to something I had happen the other week. Why be
so insulting because of that, especially when the desire to know was driven
by a motivation to help you?

Perhaps you'd be kind enough to concern yourself with my actual motivations
rather than attempting to help be responsible for motivations you've
invented for me?

> Now, the shed additional light on this tiresome subject, I can see the
> aircraft when I open the aircraft library and scroll down to the B742. It
> spins around in the little window all nice and pretty, but it will not
> show at any airport where it is supposed to be, according to AI flight
> schedules. [SNIP]

Right, given this it can't be the problem I had the other week because all
external views went invisible in my case.

--
Dave Pearson
http://www.davep.org/

Dr. Speedbyrd:>
July 17th 03, 11:35 PM
On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 21:01:31 +0100, Alan White > wrote:

>On 17 Jul 2003 13:00:18 -0500, "Dr. Speedbyrd:>"
> wrote:

>>I know this is something simple, but I'm baffled.
>
>Well, if you'd answered my original question, 'What have you tried?',
>you might have got some help for a problem which you still haven't
>solved.
>
>After your petulant display I doubt whether anyone will be all that
>keen to help you in the future.

With all that said, do you feel like a better person now?

I'm not as obsessed with it as some are. It's a game and I did get another model to work.
It's mostly a curiousity thing but I won't lose sleep without an answer.

Dr. Speedbyrd:>
July 17th 03, 11:35 PM
On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 21:13:03 +0100, Alan White > wrote:

>On 17 Jul 2003 12:47:16 -0500, "Dr. Speedbyrd:>"
> wrote:
>
>>you sure sigh a lot. Is what they do in the UK when there's nothing else to say?
>
>That's what I do when there's no point in saying anything else.
>
>I can't speak for the rest of the UK.

Don't try to speak for me either.

Dr. Speedbyrd:>
July 17th 03, 11:35 PM
On 17 Jul 2003 20:11:20 GMT, Dave Pearson > wrote:

>* Dr. Speedbyrd:> >:
>
>> On 17 Jul 2003 17:42:39 GMT, Dave Pearson > wrote:
>>
>> >No, now that you've answered the one question I asked a while back and
>> >you kept avoiding and for which you've got defensive for some
>> >incomprehensible reason.
>>
>> Nope. You just wanted to have your own way, like some puberty stricken
>> juvenile.
>
>Huh? I was only asking a simple question. Partly to understand what the
>problem was that you solved and partly to check if what you were suffering
>could possibly be related to something I had happen the other week. Why be
>so insulting because of that, especially when the desire to know was driven
>by a motivation to help you?
>
>Perhaps you'd be kind enough to concern yourself with my actual motivations
>rather than attempting to help be responsible for motivations you've
>invented for me?
>
>> Now, the shed additional light on this tiresome subject, I can see the
>> aircraft when I open the aircraft library and scroll down to the B742. It
>> spins around in the little window all nice and pretty, but it will not
>> show at any airport where it is supposed to be, according to AI flight
>> schedules. [SNIP]
>
>Right, given this it can't be the problem I had the other week because all
>external views went invisible in my case.

Then I guess it remains a mystery.

Google