PDA

View Full Version : Glider sightseeing flights

Bob Pasker
February 1st 15, 02:53 AM
Sightseeing flights within 25sm of an airport in airplanes and helicopters are conducted under 91.147 and 119.1(2)

Does anyone know what regulation(s) control sightseeing flights in gliders?

thanks, bob

http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/91.147
http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/119.1

Paul Agnew
November 14th 18, 07:19 PM
How are US clubs dealing with 91.147? Is there an exemption or workaround for this section? Introductory flights?

It came up in conversation recently with my CPA, who also happens to be an FAA Ops Inspector.

PA

Tony[_5_]
November 14th 18, 07:31 PM
91.137 doesn't apply to gliders

Paul Agnew
November 15th 18, 01:47 AM
91.147 - Reference?

November 15th 18, 02:06 AM
Bob,

At first review, 91.147 applies to AIRPLANES and HELICOPTERS. Per FAR Part 1, AIRPLANES, as used with respect to the certification, ratings, privileges, and limitations of airmen, means a broad classification of aircraft.

In other words, AIRPLANES are not GLIDERS, and GLIDERS are not AIRPLANES. However per Part 1, AIRPLANES and GLIDERS are both AIRCRAFT.

Very subtle, but an important point when reading the regulations. These words show up throughout the regulations. Our job is to note the difference.

Raul Boerner

Paul Agnew
November 15th 18, 01:26 PM
I don't follow your logic, Raul, but a reread of the regs revealed 91.147 (a) uses the term "Operator), specifically defines "Operator", and restricts the definition to flights in an airplane or helicopter.

Subsections (b), (c), (d), and (e) clearly refer to "Operator" as defined in (a).

Conclusion, gliders are not subject to this FAR by definition of Operator.

One less problem to solve...

PA

Google