PDA

View Full Version : Re: Bay Soaring in Maryland

Phil Chidekel
February 2nd 15, 08:18 PM
On Sunday, February 1, 2015 at 8:53:24 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> Does anyone have any information on what happened to the old Bay Soaring out of Woodbine, Md, and the owner, Gerry Gaudet? In 1997 they relocated to Ridgely airport on the eastern shore. After that they seemed to fade away. I flew out of there in the early 1980s and have always wondered what happened. Thank you.

There is someone in our club who used to tow down there, I can ask him next time I see him. As far as I know, the only glider ops in that area currently happen sporadically at Massey (MD1) and occasionally at Smyrna in DE (38N). The closest club is where we fly at New Garden in Southeast PA.

I was recently down at Ridgely, and the airport has seen better days... Weeds/grass growing everywhere. I know hang gliders fly out of there now, but I don't think there is too much activity in anything else.

It really is a shame, flying down between DE Bay and Chesapeake Bay is loads of fun in gliders. There is so much happening in the air with the convergence of the two maritime airmasses, and the scenery is beautiful.. not to mention you can land anywhere!

Phil

dbrunone
February 4th 15, 12:50 AM
On Sunday, February 1, 2015 at 8:53:24 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Does anyone have any information on what happened to the old Bay Soaring out of Woodbine, Md, and the owner, Gerry Gaudet? In 1997 they relocated to Ridgely airport on the eastern shore. After that they seemed to fade away. I flew out of there in the early 1980s and have always wondered what happened. Thank you.

I see what you did there...Old Bay soaring....Chesapeake...nice

Google