PDA

View Full Version : Living with Technology

quilljar
July 24th 03, 09:47 AM
Following some discussion on one of these NGs about how gadget minded so
many of we Flight Sium enthusiasts are, I would like to recommend very
strongly to you all a fairly new subscription magazine called
'Living With Technology' which I have been reading. It covers all the
aspects of technology for the non techie which you could imagine, in your
own home or workplace. From installing a DVD; to solar heating your water.

For £3 UK per month, you get 63 pp with full colour illustrations. I am
delighted to pass on this information as a satisfied customer. The full
details are on the website
www.livtech.co.uk

quilljar
July 24th 03, 12:53 PM
"quilljar" > wrote in message
> Following some discussion on one of these NGs about how gadget minded so
> many of we Flight Sium enthusiasts are, I would like to recommend very
> strongly to you all a fairly new subscription magazine called
> 'Living With Technology' which I have been reading. It covers all the
> aspects of technology for the non techie which you could imagine, in your
> own home or workplace. From installing a DVD; to solar heating your water.
>
> For £3 UK per month, you get 63 pp with full colour illustrations. I am
> delighted to pass on this information as a satisfied customer. The full
> details are on the website
> www.livtech.co.uk

The Editor tells me that anyone from this NG who contacts him from the
website with his/her snail address will be sent two free issues to read and
be impressed.. good offer!

Derek Wildstar
July 24th 03, 03:49 PM
"quilljar" > wrote in message

> "quilljar" > wrote in message
> > Following some discussion on one of these NGs about how gadget minded so
> > many of we Flight Sium enthusiasts are, I would like to recommend very
> > strongly to you all a fairly new subscription magazine called
> > 'Living With Technology' which I have been reading. It covers all the
> > aspects of technology for the non techie which you could imagine, in
your
> > own home or workplace. From installing a DVD; to solar heating your
water.

> > For £3 UK per month, you get 63 pp with full colour illustrations. I am
> > delighted to pass on this information as a satisfied customer. The full
> > details are on the website
> > www.livtech.co.uk
>
> The Editor tells me that anyone from this NG who contacts him from the
> website with his/her snail address will be sent two free issues to read
and
> be impressed.. good offer!

You realize, of course, this is spam. However well intentioned.

quilljar
July 24th 03, 07:13 PM
Yes I realise it is spam, but in mitigation, I claim that it is a first
offence, and that the product is relevant to the previous discussions about
the character traits of Flight Simmers. Otherwise I have to just hang my
head in shame..

Nevertheless, do have a look at the website :-)

"Derek Wildstar" > wrote in message

> "quilljar" > wrote in message
> >
> > "quilljar" > wrote in message
> > > Following some discussion on one of these NGs about how gadget minded
so
> > > many of we Flight Sium enthusiasts are, I would like to recommend very
> > > strongly to you all a fairly new subscription magazine called
> > > 'Living With Technology' which I have been reading. It covers all the
> > > aspects of technology for the non techie which you could imagine, in
> your
> > > own home or workplace. From installing a DVD; to solar heating your
> water.
> > >
> > > For £3 UK per month, you get 63 pp with full colour illustrations. I
am
> > > delighted to pass on this information as a satisfied customer. The
full
> > > details are on the website
> > > www.livtech.co.uk
> >
> > The Editor tells me that anyone from this NG who contacts him from the
> > website with his/her snail address will be sent two free issues to read
> and
> > be impressed.. good offer!
> >

> You realize, of course, this is spam. However well intentioned.

Neil Trotter
July 24th 03, 08:08 PM
In article >, quilljar said:

> Yes I realise it is spam, but in mitigation ... [ ... snip ... ]

It doesn't sound like spam to me. Unless you are in some way affiliated
to the publisher, or stand to gain in some way from your recommendation
(in which case you are a spamming toad).

The only valid criticism which might be levelled is that said
publication sounds a little off-topic. Personally I wouldn't bitch
about it because my life's quite busy enough already.

Thanks for taking the trouble.

--
Neil Trotter, Canewdon, UK

Derek Wildstar
July 24th 03, 09:28 PM
"quilljar" > wrote in message
> Yes I realise it is spam, but in mitigation, I claim that it is a first
> offence, and that the product is relevant to the previous discussions
about
> the character traits of Flight Simmers. Otherwise I have to just hang my
> head in shame..
>
> Nevertheless, do have a look at the website :-)

I did, and I liked it, but will not buy, that's why I was so genteel in my
rebuttal.

Let me return the favor, you might find this of interest....

http://zzz.com.ru/index.html

A smorgasbord of off-center technology, updated weekly.

John Ward
July 24th 03, 09:55 PM
Hi Derek,

That's an interesting site.

One of Katy Pluta's recent posts re graphics cards contained a link to
a Russian site, and the testing/comparisons were extremely well done (well,
I thought so, anyway).

Some of those guys must really know their onions over there.

Regards,
John

> "quilljar" > wrote in message
> > Yes I realise it is spam, but in mitigation, I claim that it is a first
> > offence, and that the product is relevant to the previous discussions
> about
> > the character traits of Flight Simmers. Otherwise I have to just hang my
> > head in shame..
> >
> > Nevertheless, do have a look at the website :-)
> >

> I did, and I liked it, but will not buy, that's why I was so genteel in my
> rebuttal.
>
> Let me return the favor, you might find this of interest....
>
> http://zzz.com.ru/index.html
>
> A smorgasbord of off-center technology, updated weekly.

quilljar
July 24th 03, 11:32 PM
No, no gain, but I have contributed to the mag once: unpaid!

"Neil Trotter" > wrote in message
> In article >, quilljar said:
>
> > Yes I realise it is spam, but in mitigation ... [ ... snip ... ]
>
> It doesn't sound like spam to me. Unless you are in some way affiliated
> to the publisher, or stand to gain in some way from your recommendation
> (in which case you are a spamming toad).
>
> The only valid criticism which might be levelled is that said
> publication sounds a little off-topic. Personally I wouldn't bitch
> about it because my life's quite busy enough already.
>
> Thanks for taking the trouble.
>
> --
> Neil Trotter, Canewdon, UK

Don Parker
July 24th 03, 11:43 PM
My rather unofficial motto is : If you can't have fun or make money, try to
avoid it!
So I hope you at least had fun..... (;->))
Cheers
Don

"quilljar" > wrote in message
> No, no gain, but I have contributed to the mag once: unpaid!
>
> "Neil Trotter" > wrote in message
> > In article >, quilljar said:
> >
> > > Yes I realise it is spam, but in mitigation ... [ ... snip ... ]
> >
> > It doesn't sound like spam to me. Unless you are in some way affiliated
> > to the publisher, or stand to gain in some way from your recommendation
> > (in which case you are a spamming toad).
> >
> > The only valid criticism which might be levelled is that said
> > publication sounds a little off-topic. Personally I wouldn't bitch
> > about it because my life's quite busy enough already.
> >
> > Thanks for taking the trouble.
> >
> > --
> > Neil Trotter, Canewdon, UK

Derek Wildstar
July 25th 03, 12:59 AM
"John Ward" > wrote in message
u...
> Hi Derek,
>
> That's an interesting site.
>
> One of Katy Pluta's recent posts re graphics cards contained a link
> a Russian site, and the testing/comparisons were extremely well done
(well,
> I thought so, anyway).
>
> Some of those guys must really know their onions over there.
>
> Regards,
> John

To paint with a broad brush, the Russians are somewhat unscrutable geniuses
when it comes to engineering and technology, not to mention aeronautical
engineering, they built a Space Shuttle as well, recall. However, there
aren't enough rubles in Lenin's Tomb to get me up in that death trap. Recent
sad events notwithstanding. :(

Perhaps it's due to the lack of wealth and need for amassing of wealth in
their culture that enables them to explore avenues of science that have
little economic merit, it explains the whiling away the hours playing chess
against super computers and writing computer virii.

John Ward
July 25th 03, 02:03 AM
Hi Derek,

Ever since I was Dux of my school, and later studied Russian at
University for a couple more years, I've had a bit of an ear cocked towards
such a vast culture.

Things have sure progressed since the Cold War days, and because there
are so many of them, the pressure must always be on to come up with
something, just to be able to make your way through life, and hopefully do a
little better than the next bloke, so you can provide a little easier, or
indulge your interests more, or whatever. Similarities with China, parts of
Asia, the U.S.A.... where there are big populations?

The more National, Global, Universal your experiences/thinking get, the
more it all keeps you thinking to the best of your abilities.

I suppose for some, the hard part then becomes how to bring everyone
else along for the ride, but that's way beyond my dumb mind!!

It is interesting, though, how one's sense of perspective changes the
more you come to wrap your mind around (or at least, it should! ), and that
then should lead to an ever-changing appreciation and understanding of the
differing degrees to which were not all in the same boat.

Sorry to you, and anyone else, if this is dribbling on, but you do seem
to have a bit of a different , broader, perspective on things, or perhaps
many do, but you just express it more, and your advice always seems to be
spot-on, unless one has nitpicking mode on occassionally.

Those Russkies sure can be inscrutable, they sure do lack wealth at the
moment, and there sure are plenty of them still, despite the split up.

Regards,
John

> "John Ward" > wrote in message
> u...
> > Hi Derek,
> >
> > That's an interesting site.
> >
> > One of Katy Pluta's recent posts re graphics cards contained a link
> > a Russian site, and the testing/comparisons were extremely well done
> (well,
> > I thought so, anyway).
> >
> > Some of those guys must really know their onions over there.
> >
> > Regards,
> > John
>

> To paint with a broad brush, the Russians are somewhat unscrutable
geniuses
> when it comes to engineering and technology, not to mention aeronautical
> engineering, they built a Space Shuttle as well, recall. However, there
> aren't enough rubles in Lenin's Tomb to get me up in that death trap.
Recent
> sad events notwithstanding. :(
>
> Perhaps it's due to the lack of wealth and need for amassing of wealth in
> their culture that enables them to explore avenues of science that have
> little economic merit, it explains the whiling away the hours playing
chess
> against super computers and writing computer virii.

John Ward
July 25th 03, 02:08 AM
Just saw my post posted - My mistake, I was only Dux of Russian, not Dux of
the whole school, and now I can't even send a simple post correctly.
Apparently I didn't learn much! :-))

Regards,
John
"John Ward" > wrote in message
> [...]
> > >
> > > Some of those guys must really know their onions over there.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > John
> >

> > To paint with a broad brush, the Russians are somewhat unscrutable
> geniuses
> > when it comes to engineering and technology, not to mention aeronautical
> > engineering, they built a Space Shuttle as well, recall. However, there
> > aren't enough rubles in Lenin's Tomb to get me up in that death trap.
> Recent
> > sad events notwithstanding. :(
> >
> > Perhaps it's due to the lack of wealth and need for amassing of wealth
in
> > their culture that enables them to explore avenues of science that have
> > little economic merit, it explains the whiling away the hours playing
> chess
> > against super computers and writing computer virii.

July 25th 03, 09:31 AM
Pardon my asking, but I am only a poor Englishman with a small brain, what
is a Dux exactly? Is it the same as a dunce?

"John Ward" > wrote in message
> [...]
> > > (well,

> > > To paint with a broad brush, the Russians are somewhat unscrutable
> > geniuses
> > > when it comes to engineering and technology, not to mention
aeronautical
> > > engineering, they built a Space Shuttle as well, recall. However,
there
> > > aren't enough rubles in Lenin's Tomb to get me up in that death trap.
> > Recent
> > > sad events notwithstanding. :(
> > >
> > > Perhaps it's due to the lack of wealth and need for amassing of wealth
> in
> > > their culture that enables them to explore avenues of science that
have
> > > little economic merit, it explains the whiling away the hours playing
> > chess
> > > against super computers and writing computer virii.

July 25th 03, 09:49 AM
Silver Tongue,

In my case yes, but normally it just means top of the school, so you get
a book or something, in front of the rest of the school. I used to translate
Russian geological papers for De Beers while at school, so maybe that helped
me. Somehow related to the Argyll Diamond Field over in Western Australia.

These days, in terms of learning about flying, most things seem to be
Double Dutch. :-))

Regards,
John
"quilljar" > wrote in message
> [...]
> > > more you come to wrap your mind around (or at least, it should! ), and
> > that
> > > then should lead to an ever-changing appreciation and understanding of
> the
> > > differing degrees to which were not all in the same boat.
> > >
> > > Sorry to you, and anyone else, if this is dribbling on, but you do
> > seem
> > > to have a bit of a different , broader, perspective on things, or
> perhaps
> > > many do, but you just express it more, and your advice always seems to
> be
> > > spot-on, unless one has nitpicking mode on occassionally.
> > >
> > > Those Russkies sure can be inscrutable, they sure do lack wealth
at
> > the
> > > moment, and there sure are plenty of them still, despite the split up.

July 25th 03, 10:02 AM
Ah like El Duce then?
Good on yer sport! I now feel that small I could sit on a zac and dangle me
legs!

"John Ward" > wrote in message
u...
> Silver Tongue,
>
> In my case yes, but normally it just means top of the school, so you
get
> a book or something, in front of the rest of the school. I used to
translate
> Russian geological papers for De Beers while at school, so maybe that
helped
> me. Somehow related to the Argyll Diamond Field over in Western Australia.
>
> These days, in terms of learning about flying, most things seem to be
> Double Dutch. :-))
>
> Regards,
> John
> "quilljar" > wrote in message
> > Pardon my asking, but I am only a poor Englishman with a small brain,
what
> > is a Dux exactly? Is it the same as a dunce?
> >

> > "John Ward" > wrote in message
> > > Just saw my post posted - My mistake, I was only Dux of Russian, not
Dux
> > of
> > > the whole school, and now I can't even send a simple post correctly.
> > > Apparently I didn't learn much! :-))
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > John

> > > towards

> > there
> hopefully
> > do
> > or
> parts
> > > of

> get,
> > > the

> everyone

> > the
> > > that
> > the

> > > seem
> > perhaps
> > be

> at
> > > the

> > > link
> done

> > aeronautical
> > there
> trap.

> wealth
> > > in
> > have
> playing

John Ward
July 25th 03, 10:47 AM
Silver Tongue,

Isn't El Duce dead, thank Christ! Or was that Ill Duce?(sorry Fr Bill,
it won't happen again if I can help it, I swear! ).

ROTFL - haven't heard that one before, can I borrow it?

Whatever you decide to do, any chance of you telling us all more about
it? Same for all you other blokes with your stories/experiences - I'm in no
way shape or form putting the pressure on you Silver Tongue - I just reckon
all of us benefit from accumulated wisdom, particularly cf some of the
garbage values that are promulgated these days.

I'm off to watch the Aussies flog the Kiwis at Rugby League, and if by
some miracle we lose, surely we'll get 'em tomorrow night in the Rugby
Union? Those Black Devils! :-))) Couldn't handle the pressure from DonButts
if we lose both of them, but that won't happen?

Regards,
John

"quilljar" > wrote in message
> Ah like El Duce then?
> Good on yer sport! I now feel that small I could sit on a zac and dangle
me
> legs!
>

> "John Ward" > wrote in message
> u...
> > Silver Tongue,
> >
> > In my case yes, but normally it just means top of the school, so you
> get
> > a book or something, in front of the rest of the school. I used to
> translate
> > Russian geological papers for De Beers while at school, so maybe that
> helped
> > me. Somehow related to the Argyll Diamond Field over in Western
Australia.

> > These days, in terms of learning about flying, most things seem to
be
> > Double Dutch. :-))
> >
> > Regards,
> > John
> > "quilljar" > wrote in message
> > > Pardon my asking, but I am only a poor Englishman with a small brain,
> what
> > > is a Dux exactly? Is it the same as a dunce?

> Dux
> > > of

> > > there
> > hopefully
> > > do
> easier,
> > > or
> > parts

> > get,

> > everyone

> changes
> > > the
> and
> of
> > > the

> do
> > > perhaps
> > > be

> > at
> up.

> contained
> > done

> > > aeronautical
However,
> > > there
> > trap.

> > wealth
> > > have
> > playing

Don Parker
July 25th 03, 04:35 PM
Hey, I'll buy a round for the house on that note!!
Sometime in the 80's my wife and I were on vacation down under, first stop
NZ. While walking down the street in Auckland, saw a big sign in a travel
agents window "German, French, and Aussie spoken fluently!". Got a big
laugh out of it, but then several weeks later in rural Australia found out
they weren't kidding!!! Almost needed an interpreter several times! No
problem in urban centers, but the outback speaks a different lanuage;
however, it is quite similar to English (;->))... Absolutely loved every
minute down there! Thank the sky gods for frequent flier programs.........
Cheers'n beers.. (ONE round!)
Don

> John
>
> I really wish I could understand a word either of you are saying. No
matter,
> I think all our upside-down friends are infinitely charming, regardless of
> their indecipherable speech. :)

David
July 25th 03, 11:21 PM
In article >, John Ward
> writes

> Those Russkies sure can be inscrutable, they sure do lack wealth at the
>moment, and there sure are plenty of them still, despite the split up.

Not all them. One Russian, said to have around 2 billion dollars has
just come to England and purchased the Chelsea Soccer Club. I think it
was mentioned that he also owns a personal 767.

There are about 160 million of them at the moment - a lot less than the
USA population.
David Francis E-Mail reply to >

John Ward
July 27th 03, 12:39 AM
Hi David,

Who knows, with any certainty, how wealth is maintained, created, or
distributed there these days? I certainly don't, I just try to stay a bit
informed, from all the various bits and pieces that can be seen/read.

Most of the normal population seem to be scratching a fair bit though,
these days, and 160 million is still a big population, by Aussie' standards
anyway! :-)

Regards,
John
"David" > wrote in message
> In article >, John Ward
> > writes
>
> > Those Russkies sure can be inscrutable, they sure do lack wealth at
the
> >moment, and there sure are plenty of them still, despite the split up.
>
> Not all them. One Russian, said to have around 2 billion dollars has
> just come to England and purchased the Chelsea Soccer Club. I think it
> was mentioned that he also owns a personal 767.
>
> There are about 160 million of them at the moment - a lot less than the
> USA population.
> --
> David Francis E-Mail reply to >

David
July 28th 03, 10:28 PM
Hi John,

> Who knows, with any certainty, how wealth is maintained, created, or
>distributed there these days? I certainly don't, I just try to stay a bit
>informed, from all the various bits and pieces that can be seen/read.

Indeed. Some wealth gathered seems out of all proportion. I think the
source of that comparatively young Russian's wealth is obscure.

> Most of the normal population seem to be scratching a fair bit though,
>these days, and 160 million is still a big population, by Aussie' standards
>anyway! :-)

Yes. I have lived in England all my life but I still am getting
claustrophobic here. Nearly 50 million people in England alone with
almost another 10 million on Scotland , Wales and Northern Ireland.

I think England is full up, others don't agree. Our trips to the USA
showed me that I really liked wide open spaces. I have never got to
Australia though, sad to say.

Regards

David
David Francis E-Mail reply to >

Monty
July 29th 03, 12:01 AM
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 22:28:26 +0100, David >
wrote:
>Yes. I have lived in England all my life but I still am getting
>claustrophobic here. Nearly 50 million people in England alone with
>almost another 10 million on Scotland , Wales and Northern Ireland.
David don't forget 50% do not belong here they are only here because
the British govenment are to soft to kep them out .
Monty .

Handsome
July 29th 03, 12:44 AM
"Monty" > wrote in message
| On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 22:28:26 +0100, David >
| wrote:
| >Yes. I have lived in England all my life but I still am getting
| >claustrophobic here. Nearly 50 million people in England alone with
| >almost another 10 million on Scotland , Wales and Northern Ireland.
| David don't forget 50% do not belong here they are only here because
| the British govenment are to soft to kep them out .
| Monty .

Which 50% do you belong to Monty?

Monty
July 29th 03, 01:12 AM
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 23:44:45 +0000 (UTC), "Handsome"
> wrote:
>Which 50% do you belong to Monty?
The WHITE 50% of course .
Monty .

Handsome
July 29th 03, 02:16 AM
"Monty" > wrote in message
| On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 23:44:45 +0000 (UTC), "Handsome"
| > wrote:
| >Which 50% do you belong to Monty?
| The WHITE 50% of course .
| Monty .

Sorry mate, you are well out of order there.

Enough to say that your remarks make me feel physically sick.

Martin

Monty
July 29th 03, 02:39 AM
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 01:16:13 +0000 (UTC), "Handsome"
> wrote:

>Sorry mate, you are well out of order there.
Really you come and live in a city where no white man may venture at
any time of day or night in to two areas for fear of being assaulted
and robbed.
>Enough to say that your remarks make me feel physically sick.
What really make me feel physically sick is to read in our local paper
that an elderly pensioner had been beaten to pulp and robbed outside
his own front door and the police stating that they where looking for
a gang of ASIAN youth's in connection with the assault like I did last
Tuesday evening !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
This assault was not a one of reports of this kind are appearing every
week in our paper the police are basically powerless because when
arrested those arrested just scream racial discrimination and away
they go to do the same over and over again .
Martin I am NOT a racist I would quite willingly live in a city full
of blacks where I was the only white man but force me to live in the
same city if it where full of Asians and I would willingly commit
suicide first .
Monty .

Handsome
July 29th 03, 12:18 PM
"Monty" > wrote in message
| On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 01:16:13 +0000 (UTC), "Handsome"
| > wrote:
|

| >Sorry mate, you are well out of order there.
| Really you come and live in a city where no white man may venture at
| any time of day or night in to two areas for fear of being assaulted
| and robbed.
| >Enough to say that your remarks make me feel physically sick.
| What really make me feel physically sick is to read in our local paper
| that an elderly pensioner had been beaten to pulp and robbed outside
| his own front door and the police stating that they where looking for
| a gang of ASIAN youth's in connection with the assault like I did last
| Tuesday evening !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
| This assault was not a one of reports of this kind are appearing every
| week in our paper the police are basically powerless because when
| arrested those arrested just scream racial discrimination and away
| they go to do the same over and over again .
| Martin I am NOT a racist I would quite willingly live in a city full
| of blacks where I was the only white man but force me to live in the
| same city if it where full of Asians and I would willingly commit
| suicide first .
| Monty .

Why is that racists claim they are not racists.

You have even now gone so far as to single out Asians............so as far
as Asians are concerned ..........you are a racist.

I agree that ALL UK resident should be treated the same as far as law and
order is concerned and I find it hard to believe that any Asian mugger,
found guilty, would be exempt from punishment.

I think I read an "exclusive" somwhere that a white person mugged a female
pensioner..................Oh no, he actually knocked her unconcious in her
own home, raped her, then went on to cut up her body and drink her blood.

Naughty white person.

Dave Pearson
July 29th 03, 12:58 PM
* Monty >:

> David don't forget 50% do not belong here they are only here because the
> British govenment are to soft to kep them out .

What's your source for the "50%" figure?

--
Dave Pearson
http://www.davep.org/

Google