PDA

View Full Version : XC Skies

JS
February 9th 15, 08:47 PM
For years I've used XC Skies GFS as my standard reference.
Ar the moment, it seems to have turned to rubbish.
The New South Wales maps have a lot of square or rectangular areas in which the model changes drastically. Knowing it can't be real, I've switched to the local RASP models (which are free).
Anyone else finding this sort of problem?
Unfortunately I haven't been able to log on to the XC Skies newsgroup.
Jim

Fox Two[_2_]
February 9th 15, 09:02 PM
I too have been disappointed with XCskies for some time. They had a lot of potential when they began, but they seem to have been doing nothing to improve their product since. Look at the home page: it hasn't been updated for years and the known bugs haven't ever been fixed. Most importantly, their GFS models have become consistently inaccurate. Most questions on the XCskies forum go unanswered, so you really have to wonder if anybody is even paying attention. Needless to say, I won't be renewing my subscription.

Chris

Peter Kovari
February 9th 15, 09:28 PM
With Dr. Jack wanting to throw in the towel what else is there?

February 10th 15, 06:06 AM
It seems to be related to the GFS 0.25 degree upgrade that happened mid-January, the forecasts have been rubbish ever since. Stick to RASP.

February 10th 15, 09:29 PM
On Monday, February 9, 2015 at 10:06:18 PM UTC-8, wrote:
> It seems to be related to the GFS 0.25 degree upgrade that happened mid-January, the forecasts have been rubbish ever since. Stick to RASP.

I have found that XC Skies is VERY good for cloud cover, bases and winds, but is usually overly optimistic when it comes to "top of usable lift" and thermal strength. For that info I use Dr. Jack.

JS
July 1st 15, 04:00 AM
Is anyone having luck with support on this commercial product?
All I get is a reminder to resubscribe.
Jim

Bill T
July 1st 15, 01:26 PM
I was using it last month. Had to be picky about which model you used, sort of evaluate them all.
My subscription expired while I'm on vacation in the very rainy Northeast.
I like their presentations of the data. dr Jacks is hard to read the maps and who knows how much longer that will be supported.

BillT

Google