PDA

View Full Version : Re: Matrox Parheilia and FS2004

Steve
July 30th 03, 09:02 AM
Mmm

Interesting.

Can you put the instruments on just the center screen or do you end up with
a stretched instrument panel?

Steve

Hardin9745 wrote:

> Finally, resolution of 3072 x 768 x 32 supported across the three monitor
> surround desktop. This is breathtaking!

quilljar
July 30th 03, 10:00 PM
Ha Great News, I haven't got my copy of FS2004 yet so am delighted to hear
this. Can you undock windows and place where you like? Restretch the 2D
panel etc like in FS2002?

"Hardin9745" > wrote in message
> Finally, resolution of 3072 x 768 x 32 supported across the three monitor
> surround desktop. This is breathtaking!

Hardin9745
July 30th 03, 11:59 PM
You can put the cockpit on two screens if you want ...or even narrow it to the
center monitor

>Mmm
>
>Interesting.
>
>Can you put the instruments on just the center screen or do you end up with
>a stretched instrument panel?
>
>Steve
>

>Hardin9745 wrote:
>
>> Finally, resolution of 3072 x 768 x 32 supported across the three monitor
>> surround desktop. This is breathtaking!

Steve
July 31st 03, 07:56 AM
Cool

By a happy coincidence my employer needs me to start using a Parhelia card.
Time to upgrade.

Steve

Hardin9745 wrote:

> You can put the cockpit on two screens if you want ...or even narrow it to
> the center monitor
>

>>Mmm
>>
>>Interesting.
>>
>>Can you put the instruments on just the center screen or do you end up
>>with a stretched instrument panel?
>>
>>Steve
>>

>>Hardin9745 wrote:
>>
>>> Finally, resolution of 3072 x 768 x 32 supported across the three
>>> monitor surround desktop. This is breathtaking!

Dave Pearson
July 31st 03, 11:41 AM
* quilljar >:

> That is good news, cos did not read Father Bill yesterday saying that he
> could not undock win dows in FS2004 when in full screen mode? I thought it
> sounded a bit strange, but wd like confirmation, because without undocking
> there is not much point in having multiple monitors.

Seconded, I'd like to know how other people are getting on with this. Based
on Bill's report (and some other grumbles I've been seeing in regard to
performance issues when compared with FS2K2) I cancelled my order for FS2K4,
the undock issue being the show-stopper for me. If it turns out that it's
card specific I might decide to get it and give it a go after all.

--
Dave Pearson
http://www.davep.org/

quilljar
July 31st 03, 01:35 PM
Yes it is serious, but I would not go so far as to cancel my order! I am too
curious to have a look at it. I pick up my updated PC this afternoon, I
hope, in time for my FS9 to arrive in the UK post tomorrow!
I should have a 2.6Ghz chip, new motherboard and 1024 Mb RAM. The Parhelia,
I have had for a good while now. Natch I will report back here when I have
trried it all out.

"Dave Pearson" > wrote in message
.. .
> * quilljar >:
>
> > That is good news, cos did not read Father Bill yesterday saying that he
> > could not undock win dows in FS2004 when in full screen mode? I thought
it
> > sounded a bit strange, but wd like confirmation, because without
undocking
> > there is not much point in having multiple monitors.
>
> Seconded, I'd like to know how other people are getting on with this.
Based
> on Bill's report (and some other grumbles I've been seeing in regard to
> performance issues when compared with FS2K2) I cancelled my order for
FS2K4,
> the undock issue being the show-stopper for me. If it turns out that it's
> card specific I might decide to get it and give it a go after all.
>
> --
> Dave Pearson
> http://www.davep.org/

Dave Pearson
July 31st 03, 02:33 PM
* quilljar >:

> Yes it is serious, but I would not go so far as to cancel my order! I am
> too curious to have a look at it. I pick up my updated PC this afternoon,
> I hope, in time for my FS9 to arrive in the UK post tomorrow!

I'm curious about it but not that curious. There's stuff in FS2K4 that does
sound worth having and so I'd decided that I'd go for it anyone and, if it
didn't perform too well, start thinking about which bits of my system could
do with a bump up. But, given some of the less positive reports I've seen so
far the reports that undocking doesn't work anywhere like how it used to
means that I'm not more than happy to cancel the order and "wait and see".

> I should have a 2.6Ghz chip, new motherboard and 1024 Mb RAM. The
> Parhelia, I have had for a good while now.

I can imagine that it'll perform ok on that setup. :)

> Natch I will report back here
> when I have trried it all out.

I'd be interested to hear how the undocking things works for you. Personally
I'm running a Matrix G550, which isn't *that* well suited to this sort of
thing but works well enough with FS2K2 for my needs.

--
Dave Pearson
http://www.davep.org/

Dave Pearson
August 1st 03, 09:04 AM
* >:

> Dave Pearson > wrote in message >...
>
> > I'd be interested to hear how the undocking things works for you.
> > Personally I'm running a Matrix G550, which isn't *that* well suited to
> > this sort of thing but works well enough with FS2K2 for my needs.
>
> I dont understand. Undocking windows is same in this as in FS98, FS2000,
> or FS2002. However, now higher resolutions are supported for triple
> monitor configurations. Who is complaining about undocking problems?

> in <URL:news:alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim>
contains the initial report. It seems the poster found that, in full screen
mode on his primary display, he was unable to undock things like the radio
stack or the GPS or whatever and drag them to his secondary display. It
seems unclear at the moment if this is a general issue or an issue specific
to the poster's setup.

--
Dave Pearson
http://www.davep.org/

jaja
August 1st 03, 10:56 AM
It seems that this issue happens to many persons using FS04.
I would like to know what are the FPS using the Parhelia card. I'm thinking
on buying it for my home simulator and I really would like to know how it's
performing.
Pedro

"Dave Pearson" > escreveu na mensagem
.. .
> * >:
>
> > Dave Pearson > wrote in message
> >
> > > I'd be interested to hear how the undocking things works for you.
> > > Personally I'm running a Matrix G550, which isn't *that* well suited
> > > this sort of thing but works well enough with FS2K2 for my needs.
> >
> > I dont understand. Undocking windows is same in this as in FS98, FS2000,
> > or FS2002. However, now higher resolutions are supported for triple
> > monitor configurations. Who is complaining about undocking problems?
>
> > in
<URL:news:alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim>
> contains the initial report. It seems the poster found that, in full
screen
> mode on his primary display, he was unable to undock things like the radio
> stack or the GPS or whatever and drag them to his secondary display. It
> seems unclear at the moment if this is a general issue or an issue
specific
> to the poster's setup.
>
> --
> Dave Pearson
> http://www.davep.org/

Dave Pearson
August 1st 03, 03:34 PM
* Dr. Speedbyrd:> >:

> On 1 Aug 2003 08:04:59 GMT, Dave Pearson > wrote:
>
> > in
> ><URL:news:alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim> contains the initial report. It
> >seems the poster found that, in full screen mode on his primary display,
> >he was unable to undock things like the radio stack or the GPS or
> >whatever and drag them to his secondary display. It seems unclear at the
> >moment if this is a general issue or an issue specific to the poster's
> >setup.
>
> I'm sure the all-knowing Rover will figure it out, though, eh?

I see that you're desperate to get my approval. Ok, how about you provide me
with a working email address for you? Or do you have to have your approval
in public?

.. o O ( Last word? The irony is too much. )

--
Dave Pearson
http://www.davep.org/

Hardin9745
August 2nd 03, 01:54 AM
The parhelia makes 3 monitors act as one.
Evidently, that is why I do not have the undocking problems alluded to in the
connected to the Matrox Parhelia) ..sure enough, no ability to move to separate
monitor.
I can conclude that FS 2004 will not support undocking to a separate
monitor unless it is controlled by the same master video card.
This is unlike FS98-2002 where you could have a tri monitor setup and
have one dualhead card which if it was Matrox or nvidia would support d3d
acceleration across 2 monitors (seen as one) and allow a third extended view
window, albeit unaccelerated across the third monitor or 4th , 5th etc.

I am getting 20 fps with sliders almost all the way across (but it is
locked at 20 too) ...sometimes it will dip to 12 at a scenery intensive
airport. Pentium P4 2.4 ghz 1mb DDR. I think the MSFS series are primarily CPU
dependent for frame rates anyway... I believe the Matrox Parhelia performs as
well (or badly, depending on your viewpoint) as a GeForce 3 or an Ultra high
end GeForce 2 in other games.

>It seems that this issue happens to many persons using FS04.
>I would like to know what are the FPS using the Parhelia card. I'm thinking
>on buying it for my home simulator and I really would like to know how it's
>performing.
>Pedro
>

>"Dave Pearson" > escreveu na mensagem
.. .
>> * >:

>> > I dont understand. Undocking windows is same in this as in FS98, FS2000,
>> > or FS2002. However, now higher resolutions are supported for triple
>> > monitor configurations. Who is complaining about undocking problems?
>>
>> > in
><URL:news:alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim>
>> contains the initial report. It seems the poster found that, in full
>screen
>> mode on his primary display, he was unable to undock things like the radio
>> stack or the GPS or whatever and drag them to his secondary display. It
>> seems unclear at the moment if this is a general issue or an issue
>specific
>> to the poster's setup.
>>
>> --
>> Dave Pearson
>> http://www.davep.org/

Hardin9745
August 2nd 03, 03:09 PM
>> I can conclude that FS 2004 will not support undocking to a separate
>> monitor unless it is controlled by the same master video card.
>> This is unlike FS98-2002 where you could have a tri monitor setup
>and
>> have one dualhead card which if it was Matrox or nvidia would support d3d
>> acceleration across 2 monitors (seen as one) and allow a third extended
>view
>> window, albeit unaccelerated across the third monitor or 4th , 5th etc.
>
>This is not correct. I am running FS2004 with a five monitor setup on two
>video cards. My Parahelia runs my top three monitors for outside views. I
>am running a GeforceMX440 driving to 15" LCD flat panels which is used for
>my panels and radios/GPS. The only thing you need to do is ALT/Enter and
>maximize. This of course will leave you with the title bar showing which is
>a show stopper for some, not for me. I have no problem undocking any panel
>and dragging it to my LCD's. Hope this helps clear things up.
>
>Paul

You are right! Alt Enter actually takes it into windowed mode and now I can
undock to the 4th or 5th monitor.....should have thought of that...ALSO 4th
monitor has acceleration..so I was wrong on that count too. I am really
enjoying this sim and card together.

Google