PDA

View Full Version : FS2004, fix for hypersensitive rudder?

August 13th 03, 12:54 AM
anyone?

This is annoying me in the extreme, despite having the sensitivity all the
way down the slightest movement on the rudder almost spins you off the
taxiway especially with the Cessnas. Trying to stick to the runway
centreline is almost impossible with the slightest crosswind. FS2002, which
i still have installed, is perfectly weighted.

Anyone have a fix or is it solemthing that needs patching?

Don Parker
August 13th 03, 02:30 AM
Hey K!
Glad to see I'm not alone in my misery - check my post over in
alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim and I've just posted the very same bitch! I
assume you're using a CH set of pedals, since they've got the lions share of
the market. I dumped their yoke a few years ago and paid Xtimes more for a
commercial quality, and never regretted it, but decided pedals weren't as
critical - WRONG! I'm ready to ****can these, and go ahead and bite the
bullet again... Not saying 2k4 may not need some tweeking too, but........
Cheers'n beers.
Don

"K" > wrote in message
> anyone?
>
> This is annoying me in the extreme, despite having the sensitivity all the
> way down the slightest movement on the rudder almost spins you off the
> taxiway especially with the Cessnas. Trying to stick to the runway
> centreline is almost impossible with the slightest crosswind. FS2002,
which
> i still have installed, is perfectly weighted.
>
> Anyone have a fix or is it solemthing that needs patching?

Brett Holcomb
August 13th 03, 03:10 AM
Did you adjust the null zone, too? I have the CH Pro pedals and they work
fine with the various a/c including the DC-3. Did you try moving the
sensitivity to the right instead of the left?

> Don
>
> "K" > wrote in message
>> anyone?
>>
>> This is annoying me in the extreme, despite having the sensitivity all
>> the way down the slightest movement on the rudder almost spins you off
>> the taxiway especially with the Cessnas. Trying to stick to the runway
>> centreline is almost impossible with the slightest crosswind. FS2002,
> which
>> i still have installed, is perfectly weighted.
>>
>> Anyone have a fix or is it solemthing that needs patching?

Brett I. Holcomb

Microsoft MVP
AKA Grunt <><
Remove R777 to email

Don Parker
August 13th 03, 04:30 AM
Brett,
I've adjusted every slider every way it can be adjusted. What's perplexing
is the fact that the primary joystick, yoke in this case, has the simple &
advanced menues and remains in the advanced mode when you exit and return;
however, the secondary, pedals in this case, lets you make your choices in
advanced, but reverts back to simple after you leave the menu - but,
'apparently' takes the average of the r/s brakes & rudder to reset the
simple setting - so I have no idea of what is actually getting programmed to
the contols. If this sounds stupid, it IS! I updated the CH controller mgr
to 2.1, after finding there even was a controller on the cd with the pedals
(but wasn't needed unless you couldn't 'calibrate' (?) the pedals), but the
CH controller can't even find it's own stuff (windows can), etc.., etc....
I finally found what appears to be a 'sweet spot' in the settings that
almost kinda works (more details in alt.games.m/s, etc..) .........

"Brett Holcomb" > wrote in message
> Did you adjust the null zone, too? I have the CH Pro pedals and they work
> fine with the various a/c including the DC-3. Did you try moving the
> sensitivity to the right instead of the left?
>

> > Don
> >
> > "K" > wrote in message
> >> anyone?
> >>
> >> This is annoying me in the extreme, despite having the sensitivity all
> >> the way down the slightest movement on the rudder almost spins you off
> >> the taxiway especially with the Cessnas. Trying to stick to the runway
> >> centreline is almost impossible with the slightest crosswind. FS2002,
> > which
> >> i still have installed, is perfectly weighted.
> >>
> >> Anyone have a fix or is it solemthing that needs patching?

> --
> Brett I. Holcomb
>
> Microsoft MVP
> AKA Grunt <><
> Remove R777 to email

Don Parker
August 13th 03, 05:29 AM
PS - I am NOT using a CH yoke. It's a Cirrus PFC Jet with gameport
interface (couple of years old...) with a USB adapter, so that MAY be some
of the problem with the CH manager not recognizing the primary controller,
but it would be a stretch..............

"Don Parker" > wrote in message
> Brett,
> I've adjusted every slider every way it can be adjusted. What's
perplexing
> is the fact that the primary joystick, yoke in this case, has the simple &
> advanced menues and remains in the advanced mode when you exit and return;
> however, the secondary, pedals in this case, lets you make your choices in
> advanced, but reverts back to simple after you leave the menu - but,
> 'apparently' takes the average of the r/s brakes & rudder to reset the
> simple setting - so I have no idea of what is actually getting programmed
> the contols. If this sounds stupid, it IS! I updated the CH controller
mgr
> to 2.1, after finding there even was a controller on the cd with the
pedals
> (but wasn't needed unless you couldn't 'calibrate' (?) the pedals), but
the
> CH controller can't even find it's own stuff (windows can), etc.., etc....
> I finally found what appears to be a 'sweet spot' in the settings that
> almost kinda works (more details in alt.games.m/s, etc..) .........
>
> "Brett Holcomb" > wrote in message
> > Did you adjust the null zone, too? I have the CH Pro pedals and they
work
> > fine with the various a/c including the DC-3. Did you try moving the
> > sensitivity to the right instead of the left?
> >

> > > Don

> > > which

> > --
> > Brett I. Holcomb
> >
> > Microsoft MVP
> > AKA Grunt <><
> > Remove R777 to email

Randy L.
August 13th 03, 03:47 PM
K,
I have the same problem with my CH Propedals with the gameport interface. I
have tried every setting for sensitivity & null zone. I don't have this
problem to this extent with FS2002 though. I have about come to the
conclusion that it is a problem with the aircraft models in FS2004. I found
that one thing that helps is to make sure my taxi speed never exceeds a fast
walk. It makes taxiing to the active take a long time, but at least I can
keep the aircraft under control (somewhat).

Randy L.

"K" > wrote in message
> anyone?
>
> This is annoying me in the extreme, despite having the sensitivity all the
> way down the slightest movement on the rudder almost spins you off the
> taxiway especially with the Cessnas. Trying to stick to the runway
> centreline is almost impossible with the slightest crosswind. FS2002,
which
> i still have installed, is perfectly weighted.
>
> Anyone have a fix or is it solemthing that needs patching?

Don Parker
August 13th 03, 10:39 PM
News flash!!!! Attention all ships at sea!!!! I downloaded FSUIPC software
from www.simmarket.com, cost ~$22 usd, so far only used the cal procedure
for the contoller (it has a bunch of other bells & whistles), and the CH Pro
brakes and rudders are almost civilized to use!! Hi speed taxiing in the
182 can still be a little harrowing for 90degree turns that can turn into
180's, but it can IRL too - however normal takeoff rolls, landing, etc., are
a breeze now... In the air you nudge the rudder and get a nudge back,
instead of 30 degree diving turns. This Bud's on me!
Cheers'n beers y'all.
Don

"K" > wrote in message
> anyone?
>
> This is annoying me in the extreme, despite having the sensitivity all the
> way down the slightest movement on the rudder almost spins you off the
> taxiway especially with the Cessnas. Trying to stick to the runway
> centreline is almost impossible with the slightest crosswind. FS2002,
which
> i still have installed, is perfectly weighted.
>
> Anyone have a fix or is it solemthing that needs patching?

August 14th 03, 10:46 AM
"Don Parker" > wrote in message
> Hey K!
> Glad to see I'm not alone in my misery - check my post over in
> alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim and I've just posted the very same bitch!
> assume you're using a CH set of pedals, since they've got the lions share
of
> the market. I dumped their yoke a few years ago and paid Xtimes more for
> commercial quality, and never regretted it, but decided pedals weren't as
> critical - WRONG! I'm ready to ****can these, and go ahead and bite the
> bullet again... Not saying 2k4 may not need some tweeking too,
but........
> Cheers'n beers.
> Don

I'm only using a twist joystick! Out of interest I tried it with the
keyboard, again with sensitivity turned all the way down and it was no
different. So this tells me the problem is with FS2004 and not with any
controller or controller software.

I feel a patch coming on...

Twilson
August 16th 03, 12:28 AM
I Think the problem is with FS2004 not the controls. I have Cougar HOTAS with
elite rudder pedals and cannot keep any aircraft on the runway flying from
Flagstaff, Ariz airport due to runaway nose wheel steering. There is no
problem when departing Meigs or Phoenix sky Harbor. So I don't think there is
anything wrong with my controls. This is one that MS needs to fix

Gman
August 16th 03, 02:33 AM
I've got a Saitek x36F and the rudder is way too sensitive, even with turned
down to the minimums....
Time for a fix!

K wrote:
> anyone?
>
> This is annoying me in the extreme, despite having the sensitivity all the
> way down the slightest movement on the rudder almost spins you off the
> taxiway especially with the Cessnas. Trying to stick to the runway
> centreline is almost impossible with the slightest crosswind. FS2002, which
> i still have installed, is perfectly weighted.
>
> Anyone have a fix or is it solemthing that needs patching?

Petar Lazarevski
August 21st 03, 07:21 AM
"Gman" > wrote in message
> I've got a Saitek x36F and the rudder is way too sensitive, even with
turned
> down to the minimums....
> Time for a fix!

Are you talking about the rudder or about nosewheel steering? I find rudder
even not sensitive enough while landing in crosswind...nosewheel is,
however, too sensitive and does not resemble real life steering
which should desrease with speed build up or even cease....

Ariel
August 21st 03, 09:25 AM
I've just posted this on alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim, before I checked
this group...

I've had FS2004 in for a while, and like others I've been looking at the
visual goodies and old aircraft etc (very nice too). But now the initial
exploring is over, I have just done a bit of standard flying around the good
old Meigs area (familiar from all previous versions) in the two Cessnas,
mainly to look at frame-rates and fine-tune the visual settings. However, a
bigger problem has jumped out and hit me... rudder control.

The first thing I found was that the rudder in both aircraft is horrendously
over-sensitive. So...straight to the Control Sensistivity adjustments - no
good. Even at minimum sensitivity the rudder is awful. Taxying, or using
rudder to hold straight on the runway with a light cross-wind component,
both result in violent pedulum lateral swinging developing. Even when
flying straight and level a rudder input has the same effect - lateral
undamped swings with no basic aerodynamic stability. Balanced turns now
seem almost impossible.

I'm using a CH Pro Throttle, and have configured the mini joystick as the
rudder input - not too realistic, I know - but with a little familiarity it
has always worked OK with FS2002 and previous versions, as well as in IL2 FB
(which has convincingly real flight model dynamics in this area). I've
tried resetting the inputs in the stick software as well, but cannot get it
working in a realistic manner.

So am I alone here? It seems to me that the rudder input flight modelling
in the default FS9 Cessnas (haven't gone further yet) has been buggered.
Lateral stability has been destroyed. Is it me? Or what? Anyone else
found the same?

Graham

"K" > wrote in message
> anyone?
>
> This is annoying me in the extreme, despite having the sensitivity all the
> way down the slightest movement on the rudder almost spins you off the
> taxiway especially with the Cessnas. Trying to stick to the runway
> centreline is almost impossible with the slightest crosswind. FS2002,
which
> i still have installed, is perfectly weighted.
>
> Anyone have a fix or is it solemthing that needs patching?

Marty Ross
August 22nd 03, 01:27 AM
I agree -- it could possibly be the fault of the nosewheel modeling in the
software, and not that of the rudder...

"Petar Lazarevski" > wrote in message

> "Gman" > wrote in message
> > I've got a Saitek x36F and the rudder is way too sensitive, even with
> turned
> > down to the minimums....
> > Time for a fix!
>

> Are you talking about the rudder or about nosewheel steering? I find
rudder
> even not sensitive enough while landing in crosswind...nosewheel is,
> however, too sensitive and does not resemble real life steering
> which should desrease with speed build up or even cease....

Gman
August 22nd 03, 03:29 AM
I'm using the rudder on a cub and I can cut some mean donuts around the taxi
ways....

Petar Lazarevski wrote:
> "Gman" > wrote in message
>
>>I've got a Saitek x36F and the rudder is way too sensitive, even with
>
> turned
>
>>down to the minimums....
>>Time for a fix!
>

> Are you talking about the rudder or about nosewheel steering? I find rudder
> even not sensitive enough while landing in crosswind...nosewheel is,
> however, too sensitive and does not resemble real life steering
> which should desrease with speed build up or even cease....

Google