PDA

View Full Version : Grob 103 seals

March 12th 15, 12:56 PM
Our club has a Grob that needs the Mylar replaced. Does or should the Grob 103 have internal Teflon tape seals in addition to the standard Mylar and safety tape? Any other tips for this process? Or anything else we should consider doing while we are in there? Thanks!

JJ Sinclair[_2_]
March 12th 15, 01:21 PM
My Nimbus-3 was identical to Dale Bushes Nimbus-3 and we both had only internal seals. On an annual inspection, I noticed my internal seals were deteriorating and I was able to pull them out through the gap. I then installed external Mylar seals only. My ship remained identical in both climb and cruise to Dale Bushes. From then on, I stopped installing internal seals. My conclusion is that properly installed Mylar seals top and bottom are all that is needed to stop cross-flow and it is one hell of a lot easier! Not putting internal seals on the ship I'm finishing up right now.
JJ

Bengt Aronsson
March 12th 15, 08:28 PM
There is a Service Letter at Grob's TC holder LTB Lindner that
describes the sealings, http://www.ltb-lindner.com/service-
letter.html?file=tl_files/ltb_lindner/pdf/technische%20Infos/SL-
12%20Installation%20of%20control%20surface%20seals .pdf

// Bengt Aronsson

At 12:56 12 March 2015, wrote:
>Our club has a Grob that needs the Mylar replaced. Does or
should the
>Grob=
> 103 have internal Teflon tape seals in addition to the standard
Mylar and
>=
>safety tape? Any other tips for this process? Or anything else we
should
>=
>consider doing while we are in there? Thanks!
>

March 13th 15, 02:04 AM
Wow! Great info! Thanks guys

March 15th 15, 09:56 PM
My reading of the TN indicated that if you want to comply with the TN you need a positive air seal on the hinge side so mylar seals will also need a sealing tape attached to both the control and the fixed surface beneath the mylar on the hinge side. For our club Grobs we decided to use the Tesa fabric tape on the hinge side and nothing else because the shop that does our annuals insists on lubricating the hinges every year. This means the seal has to come off every year and I'm not about to spend the time energy and money to redo a full set of tape, double sided tape, mylar and teflon tape seals every year. Our experience was that simple mylar top and bottom worked fine but when the TC holder issues a TN regarding approved seals that includes the phrase "to prevent flutter"...

Google