PDA

View Full Version : Wheel brake cable?

Movses
March 13th 15, 04:04 AM
The brake cable on my ship needs to be replaced - stretched, adjustment barrel is already at the end of the range, etc.

The diameter of the cable is 2mm, and it seems like they don't use 2mm cables on bicycles anymore. 1.6mm brake cables are readily available, but I'm not sure if they're adequate.

Where do I get 2mm cables?

-Movses

Bill T
March 13th 15, 04:19 AM
US , Aircraft Spruce, but I only see it listed in fractions for diameter, not by mm.

BillT

Peter von Tresckow
March 13th 15, 03:24 PM
Bill T > wrote:
> US , Aircraft Spruce, but I only see it listed in fractions for diameter, not by mm.
>
> BillT

Try a motorcycle shop. They may still use 2mm cable. Otherwise find an OLD
bike shop. They may have some old stock in the back still.

Peter

Dan Marotta
March 13th 15, 09:59 PM
5/64 is a tiny bit smaller than 2 mm.

On 3/13/2015 9:24 AM, Peter von Tresckow wrote:
> Bill T > wrote:
>> US , Aircraft Spruce, but I only see it listed in fractions for diameter, not by mm.
>>
>> BillT
> Try a motorcycle shop. They may still use 2mm cable. Otherwise find an OLD
> bike shop. They may have some old stock in the back still.
>
> Peter

--
Dan Marotta

March 13th 15, 10:09 PM
On Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 9:04:26 PM UTC-7, Movses wrote:
> The brake cable on my ship needs to be replaced - stretched, adjustment barrel is already at the end of the range, etc.
>
> The diameter of the cable is 2mm, and it seems like they don't use 2mm cables on bicycles anymore. 1.6mm brake cables are readily available, but I'm not sure if they're adequate.
>
> Where do I get 2mm cables?

When I had the brake cable snap on my LAK-17A during a contest, I was able to get a new cable made up at a local motorcycle shop while I waited. I don't know if it was 2mm, but it was larger than a bicycle brake cable, and matched what was on the glider (including end fittings).

Marc

Craig Funston
March 13th 15, 10:41 PM
On Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 9:04:26 PM UTC-7, Movses wrote:
> The brake cable on my ship needs to be replaced - stretched, adjustment barrel is already at the end of the range, etc.
>
> The diameter of the cable is 2mm, and it seems like they don't use 2mm cables on bicycles anymore. 1.6mm brake cables are readily available, but I'm not sure if they're adequate.
>
> Where do I get 2mm cables?
>
> -Movses

Motorcycle clutch cable. I got mine from a local motorcycle race shop. The big dealerships don't deal much in older stuff. In your case, you're near "Bent Bike" north of Seattle. Or there's always Amazon.

http://smile.amazon.com/Venhill-U01-1-100-BK-Unversal-Motorcycle-Clutch/dp/B00O1C26SW/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1426286316&sr=1-4&keywords=motorcycle+cable#productDetails

Pierre Vav
March 15th 15, 10:56 AM
When time came to change I used high quality bike cable with modern housing.
That helped a little the poor braking of my glider.

The cable is thinner and friction reduced.

Maybe it wil brake sooner, I'm pretty sure it won't: I am not that stronger in my glider than on the bike.

Per Carlin
March 15th 15, 12:53 PM
I also replaced the old worn out cable with a 1.5mm this winter. Guess that I have to keep an extra eye on it,the old 2mm help up for at least 10 years.

Google