PDA

View Full Version : Real-time real world air traffic in flight sims

Marty Ross
August 24th 03, 08:23 PM
I'm curious -- why don't flight simulators include an option to show
real-time / real world traffic (now that these data are available)? The
MSFS "AI traffic" just isn't good enough to capture my interest...

It seems to me this would be a boon to flight simulation in terms of
"realness" and to collaborative simulations (such as VATSIM), where the
controllers could practice calling out "traffic" to pilots on a more
realistic scale...

Has anyone tried to do this? What's the status of this effort?

meh
August 24th 03, 11:15 PM
I live in Phoenix Az and with traffic turned up to 50% I get almost the
exact same traffic as Sky Harbor airport.

meh

"Marty Ross" > wrote in message
et...
> I'm curious -- why don't flight simulators include an option to show
> real-time / real world traffic (now that these data are available)? The
> MSFS "AI traffic" just isn't good enough to capture my interest...
>
> It seems to me this would be a boon to flight simulation in terms of
> "realness" and to collaborative simulations (such as VATSIM), where the
> controllers could practice calling out "traffic" to pilots on a more
> realistic scale...
>
> Has anyone tried to do this? What's the status of this effort?

Handsome
August 25th 03, 12:42 PM
"Marty Ross" > wrote in message
et...
| I'm curious -- why don't flight simulators include an option to show
| real-time / real world traffic (now that these data are available)? The
| MSFS "AI traffic" just isn't good enough to capture my interest...

Ultimate Traffic add-on does it for a price, more or less.

Noi
August 25th 03, 07:10 PM
On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 15:15:42 -0700, meh without thought wrote:

> I live in Phoenix Az and with traffic turned up to 50% I get almost the
> exact same traffic as Sky Harbor airport.
>
> meh
>
> "Marty Ross" > wrote in message
> et...
>> I'm curious -- why don't flight simulators include an option to show
>> real-time / real world traffic (now that these data are available)? The
>> MSFS "AI traffic" just isn't good enough to capture my interest...
>>
>> It seems to me this would be a boon to flight simulation in terms of
>> "realness" and to collaborative simulations (such as VATSIM), where the
>> controllers could practice calling out "traffic" to pilots on a more
>> realistic scale...
>>
>> Has anyone tried to do this? What's the status of this effort?

Turn it up to 100% and you'll probably won't be able to tell the
difference except for the airline names and not waiting in line for t/o.

Angus Lepper
August 26th 03, 05:40 PM
Also, if it was to be completely real time, you would need all liveries, of
all aircraft, and all tail numbers (slightly less of a problem)
"pr" > wrote in message
ds.com...
> Marty Ross ) wrote:
>
> > I'm curious -- why don't flight simulators include an option to show
> > real-time / real world traffic (now that these data are available)? The
> > MSFS "AI traffic" just isn't good enough to capture my interest...
> >
> > It seems to me this would be a boon to flight simulation in terms of
> > "realness" and to collaborative simulations (such as VATSIM), where the
> > controllers could practice calling out "traffic" to pilots on a more
> > realistic scale...
> >
> > Has anyone tried to do this? What's the status of this effort?
>
> As was pointed out elsewhere, the main problem here (IMO) would be how to
> integrate the sim flying with the real world air traffic movement,
> especially the IFR traffic.
>
> For example, if there is a busy arrival and departure period at an
airport,
> how would your sim aircraft be intermixed with the real traffic activity?
> If the SIM ATC provides you with a landing slot, what happens to all of
> that real arriving traffic behind you that now needs to be delayed an
extra
> three minutes? Suddenly the sim AI traffic no longer syncs with the real
> air traffic. Then what?
>
> Not trying to be negative. Just wondering...
>
> --
> Peter

wired and confused
August 31st 03, 09:36 PM
yea and how many airports are going to report this . Its not going to be
easy someone has to draw the data and send it to you. That will cost money
to cover that much area
"pr" > wrote in message
ds.com...
> Marty Ross ) wrote:
>
> > I'm curious -- why don't flight simulators include an option to show
> > real-time / real world traffic (now that these data are available)? The
> > MSFS "AI traffic" just isn't good enough to capture my interest...
> >
> > It seems to me this would be a boon to flight simulation in terms of
> > "realness" and to collaborative simulations (such as VATSIM), where the
> > controllers could practice calling out "traffic" to pilots on a more
> > realistic scale...
> >
> > Has anyone tried to do this? What's the status of this effort?
>
> As was pointed out elsewhere, the main problem here (IMO) would be how to
> integrate the sim flying with the real world air traffic movement,
> especially the IFR traffic.
>
> For example, if there is a busy arrival and departure period at an
airport,
> how would your sim aircraft be intermixed with the real traffic activity?
> If the SIM ATC provides you with a landing slot, what happens to all of
> that real arriving traffic behind you that now needs to be delayed an
extra
> three minutes? Suddenly the sim AI traffic no longer syncs with the real
> air traffic. Then what?
>
> Not trying to be negative. Just wondering...
>
> --
> Peter

pr
September 1st 03, 04:13 AM
wired and confused wrote:

> yea and how many airports are going to report this . Its not going to be
> easy someone has to draw the data and send it to you. That will cost money
> to cover that much area

Here in the States, the data is already available for the entire
country, as there are a couple of third-party companies who sell
software that allows the average "joe" to track IFR flights.

Check out:

http://www.flightexplorer.com/

--
Peter