PDA

View Full Version : OGN

John Galloway[_1_]
March 21st 15, 05:56 AM
So, as I understand it, the current situation with the Open Glider
Network is that:

It relies on tracking Flarm collision data against Flarm's wishes.

It relies on using the Flarmnet database (which is encoded so that
the database can't be downlosded and be easily human readable)
against their wishes.

It relies on a free-to-OGN network of ground receivers that have been
voluntarily set up and funded by glider pilots (including myself who
has funded one) to receive Flarm transmissions.

Now the OGN want to sell us commercial transmitters

Hmmmm.

Flarm radar has been extremely useful and fun in the last year in
Europe but we glider pilots collectively own the vital ingredient which
is the ground receiver network and I for one wont be buying a tracker
from the OGN in those circumstances.

John Galloway

John Galloway[_1_]
March 21st 15, 06:27 AM
At 05:56 21 March 2015, John Galloway wrote:
>So, as I understand it, the current situation with the Open Glider
>Network is that:
>
>It relies on tracking Flarm collision data against Flarm's wishes.
>
>It relies on using the Flarmnet database (which is encoded so that
>the database can't be downlosded and be easily human readable)
>against their wishes.
>
>It relies on a free-to-OGN network of ground receivers that have
been
>voluntarily set up and funded by glider pilots (including myself who
>has funded one) to receive Flarm transmissions.
>
>Now the OGN want to sell us commercial transmitters
>
>Hmmmm.
>
> Flarm radar has been extremely useful and fun in the last year in
>Europe but we glider pilots collectively own the vital ingredient
which
>is the ground receiver network and I for one wont be buying a
tracker
>from the OGN in those circumstances.
>
>John Galloway

I did not intentionally repost this message - it seems to have
reposted itself the next time I logged into RAS via gliderpilot.net on
my smart phone. Apologies.

Google