PDA

View Full Version : B-29 Doc rollout to-day - 1 attachment

john szalay
March 23rd 15, 11:31 PM

PVK[_3_]
March 24th 15, 01:29 AM
Doesn't she look just wonderful !

My dad was a flight engineer on the RAF-operated B-29s and he held the
aircraft in very high regard, despite the technical problems stemming
from them having been in storage for so long.

I'm looking forward to Doc and Fifi in formation. The B-29 is absolutely
my favourite aircraft.

Regards

Paul
Cambridge
U.K.

Byker
March 24th 15, 04:32 AM
"john szalay" <john.szalayatatt.net> wrote in message
31...

Slideshow: http://tinyurl.com/ka33fu5

Conscious Pilate[_2_]
March 24th 15, 07:52 AM
Interesting - I was at Oakland just finishing up tanking a C-310 that I ferried to Australia when Fi Fi taxied out past the hangar and did it's first flight - must have been early eighties - will have to look in the log book to see the exact date - sounded just magnificent - everybody downed tools to watch
"john szalay" <john.szalayatatt.net> wrote in message 31...

Byker
March 24th 15, 09:47 PM
"Conscious Pilate" > wrote in message

> Interesting - I was at Oakland just finishing up tanking a C-310 that I
> ferried to Australia when Fi Fi taxied out past the hangar and did it's
> first flight - must have been early eighties - will have to look in the
> log book to see the exact date - sounded just magnificent - everybody
> downed tools to watch

When the CAF acquired "Fifi" in back in the 70's, an air traffic controller
asked for aircraft type as it approached Harlingen, Texas. The pilot
responded, "Bravo Two-Niner, over." Again he asked. Again, "Bravo
two-niner, B-29, over." The stunned controller later said, "That was the
first time I worked a B-29 in thirty years."

john szalay
March 26th 15, 01:17 AM
PVK > wrote in
:

> Doesn't she look just wonderful !
>
> My dad was a flight engineer on the RAF-operated B-29s and he held the
> aircraft in very high regard, despite the technical problems stemming
> from them having been in storage for so long.
>
> I'm looking forward to Doc and Fifi in formation. The B-29 is absolutely
> my favourite aircraft.
>
> Regards
>
> Paul
> Cambridge
> U.K.

Have you seen Chris Howlett's newsletter on the Washingtons
and their crews ?
He published them for several years..

PVK[_3_]
March 27th 15, 11:05 AM
On 26/03/2015 01:17, john szalay wrote:
> PVK > wrote in
> :
>
>> Doesn't she look just wonderful !
>>
>> My dad was a flight engineer on the RAF-operated B-29s and he held the
>> aircraft in very high regard, despite the technical problems stemming
>> from them having been in storage for so long.
>>
>> I'm looking forward to Doc and Fifi in formation. The B-29 is absolutely
>> my favourite aircraft.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Paul
>> Cambridge
>> U.K.
>>

> Have you seen Chris Howlett's newsletter on the Washingtons
> and their crews ?
> He published them for several years..

Hi John,

I've googled the Washington newletters, but it seems they are currently
unavailable, because the host RAF Watton history website is being
rebuilt. I will however keep it in mind and watch for when it comes back
online. I'll also make enquiries about them on aviation forums.

We lived at RAF Watton for quite a while, but my dad was on Washingtons
at nearby RAF Marham. By the time we were at Watton, he was involved
with the Canberra.

Thanks again for the pointer and sincere apologies for not replying sooner.

Regards
Paul
Cambridge U.K.

Google