PDA

View Full Version : Localizer problem

Bob Curtin
September 10th 03, 01:36 PM
Hi Guys,

Newbie here. When I'm flying under IFR and ATC vectors me to the localizer,
I can't seem to pick it up. I'm flying the Baron 58. Is there some sort of
setting I need to make to receive the localizer beacon?

Bob Curtin

Paul Riley
September 10th 03, 05:46 PM
"Bob Curtin" > wrote in message
> Hi Guys,
>
> Newbie here. When I'm flying under IFR and ATC vectors me to the
localizer,
> I can't seem to pick it up. I'm flying the Baron 58. Is there some sort
of
> setting I need to make to receive the localizer beacon?
>
> Bob Curtin

Tune your NAV1 radio to the Localizer frequency. Assuming FS2004, details
are in the Learning Center on use of ILS. If FS2002, check the Help files,
same info.

Also, since you are obviously new to flying, (or at least instrument
flying), I do recommend this site for a bunch of helpful tutorials.

http://www.stoenworks.com/Aviation%20home%20page.html

Scroll to the middle/bottom of the page.

HTH,
Paul

Bob Curtin
September 10th 03, 05:53 PM
Paul,

Thanks very much for your help. I'll dive right into the info on the
website.

Bob Curtin

"Paul Riley" > wrote in message
> "Bob Curtin" > wrote in message
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > Newbie here. When I'm flying under IFR and ATC vectors me to the
> localizer,
> > I can't seem to pick it up. I'm flying the Baron 58. Is there some
sort
> of
> > setting I need to make to receive the localizer beacon?
> >
> > Bob Curtin
>
> Tune your NAV1 radio to the Localizer frequency. Assuming FS2004, details
> are in the Learning Center on use of ILS. If FS2002, check the Help files,
> same info.
>
> Also, since you are obviously new to flying, (or at least instrument
> flying), I do recommend this site for a bunch of helpful tutorials.
>
> http://www.stoenworks.com/Aviation%20home%20page.html
>
> Scroll to the middle/bottom of the page.
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Bob Curtin
September 11th 03, 12:06 AM
"Paul Riley" > wrote in message

> Tune your NAV1 radio to the Localizer frequency. Assuming FS2004, details
> are in the Learning Center on use of ILS. If FS2002, check the Help files,
> same info.
>
> Also, since you are obviously new to flying, (or at least instrument
> flying), I do recommend this site for a bunch of helpful tutorials.
>
> http://www.stoenworks.com/Aviation%20home%20page.html
>
> Scroll to the middle/bottom of the page.
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Paul,

Thanks, that worked perfectly. I got the localizer frequency from a page on
the GPS, tuned in on NAV 1 and voila! I picked up the localizer beacon and
turned to the runway heading. Airport dead ahead.

I'm doing an around the world trip from Worcester Massachusetts going west
through Canada, Alaska, etc. and meandering my way through Japan, southeast
Asia, India, the Middle East, North Africa, South America Central America,
the Carribean and up the East Coast of USA.

I've got thousands of hours in MS flight sim (starting from the early days
before SubLogic sold it to Microsoft) but only recently have gotten into
IFR. What a gas this FS2004 is!

Thanks again, Paul, you saved my ass.

Bob Curtin

Google