PDA

View Full Version : Silver Distance Denied

Terry Pitts
March 29th 15, 02:27 PM
All,

I was in Minden last week for the Wave Camp - had a great time. I flew my first (and longest!) solo cross country in a glider. I submitted the documentation for what I thought would be an acceptable Silver Distance, but it was rejected.

I was under the impression from what I've read here that "declare a flight, make at least one turn point, AND have a leg in the flight of at least 50km in there somewhere" was adequate.

I picked turn points north and south of Minden. After release, I headed south and chickened out well before the turn point. I headed north, gained some altitude (and admittedly comfort/confidence at this!). I slightly passed the northern turn point, and exactly crossed it headed south at 16,500'.

As I flew south, I slowly climbed. Shortly before the southern turn point, I was still in about a half knot of wave. I thought I flew over the southern turn point at 18,000'. It turns out I was slightly short.

The distance between the northern most and southern most points is 54km, yet it doesn't count?

Have I misunderstood what I've read here? I flew 185km that day; I'd never even made a cross country flight in a glider before, thought I had done it all right - a little frustrated.

I picked turn points further than 50km apart just in case I was a bit short, but didn't purposely turn before the turn point.

Thoughts?

Peter von Tresckow
March 29th 15, 02:45 PM
Terry Pitts > wrote:
> All,
>
> I was in Minden last week for the Wave Camp - had a great time. I flew my
> first (and longest!) solo cross country in a glider. I submitted the
> documentation for what I thought would be an acceptable Silver Distance,
> but it was rejected.
>
> I was under the impression from what I've read here that "declare a
> flight, make at least one turn point, AND have a leg in the flight of at
> least 50km in there somewhere" was adequate.
>
> I picked turn points north and south of Minden. After release, I headed
> south and chickened out well before the turn point. I headed north,
> gained some altitude (and admittedly comfort/confidence at this!). I
> slightly passed the northern turn point, and exactly crossed it headed south at 16,500'.
>
> As I flew south, I slowly climbed. Shortly before the southern turn
> point, I was still in about a half knot of wave. I thought I flew over
> the southern turn point at 18,000'. It turns out I was slightly short.
>
> The distance between the northern most and southern most points is 54km,
> yet it doesn't count?
>
> Have I misunderstood what I've read here? I flew 185km that day; I'd
> never even made a cross country flight in a glider before, thought I had
> done it all right - a little frustrated.
>
> I picked turn points further than 50km apart just in case I was a bit
> short, but didn't purposely turn before the turn point.
>
> Thoughts?

If you declare a flight for a badge you need to make all turn points per
the sporting code. I understand your frustration, but that is how it is
defined in the rules.

The only way you could make silver distance without making your declared
turn point is to go straight out and land more than 50km away from your
start.

Peter

Papa3[_2_]
March 29th 15, 03:28 PM
Hi Terry,

To amplify on the other comment a little bit...

The Sporting Code is very specific on many aspects. It pays to do a close read, preferably with someone experienced in badge and record flying looking over your shoulder.

So, without getting too technical, in your case:

- Sequence matters. When you "declare" a course, the points must be flown as indicated. So if you declared a task Start/Point A/Point B/Finish you need to go in that order. You can't decide after launch to go Start/Point B/Point A/Finish.
- "Making" a turnpoint has very specific requirements. "Almost" and "Nearly" aren't in the vocabulary. You either have to fly beyond a turnpoint if using the FAI Sector (pie wedge) or get within 500M if using the FAI Cylinder (beer can). 501 meters doesn't cut it.

There are many other subtleties that can affect a given flight. Start/Finish Heights and loss of altitude penalties nab a lot of silver distance claims. So does not understanding the options for start/finish points (lines vs. sectors).

Also, it is often possible to claim "something" out of a partially completed task. For instance if you declared a triangle where you completed only 2 of 3 legs but one was a 50Km leg, you MIGHT be able to make a silver distance out of it.

Finally, I would comment that a competent Official Observer should have been able to ascertain whether or not the flight would qualify prior to submitting to the SSA. That's a little troubling...

Erik Mann (P3)
Formerly Badge and Record Chairman for SSA

On Sunday, March 29, 2015 at 9:27:13 AM UTC-4, Terry Pitts wrote:
> All,
>
> I was in Minden last week for the Wave Camp - had a great time. I flew my first (and longest!) solo cross country in a glider. I submitted the documentation for what I thought would be an acceptable Silver Distance, but it was rejected.
>
> I was under the impression from what I've read here that "declare a flight, make at least one turn point, AND have a leg in the flight of at least 50km in there somewhere" was adequate.
>
> I picked turn points north and south of Minden. After release, I headed south and chickened out well before the turn point. I headed north, gained some altitude (and admittedly comfort/confidence at this!). I slightly passed the northern turn point, and exactly crossed it headed south at 16,500'.
>
> As I flew south, I slowly climbed. Shortly before the southern turn point, I was still in about a half knot of wave. I thought I flew over the southern turn point at 18,000'. It turns out I was slightly short.
>
> The distance between the northern most and southern most points is 54km, yet it doesn't count?
>
> Have I misunderstood what I've read here? I flew 185km that day; I'd never even made a cross country flight in a glider before, thought I had done it all right - a little frustrated.
>
> I picked turn points further than 50km apart just in case I was a bit short, but didn't purposely turn before the turn point.
>
> Thoughts?

Tango Eight
March 29th 15, 03:34 PM
On Sunday, March 29, 2015 at 9:27:13 AM UTC-4, Terry Pitts wrote:

> Thoughts?

Yeah. Read the rules, figure out what you didn't do by the book, go do it again. This is the nature of badge & record flying. Just about everyone has a rejected badge leg story to tell.

Keep in mind that while claims may be rejected, they didn't take the experience away from you: that's yours forever.

I'll never forget my first flight over 100 miles. Pure magic. Hooked for life.

Evan Ludeman / T8

Doug Mueller
March 29th 15, 04:19 PM
>On Sunday, March 29, 2015 at 9:27:13 AM UTC-4, Terry Pitts wrote:
>
>> Thoughts?

Yes remember what the badge goal process is for. It is to recognize
achievement as you progress into a soaring pilot. Each badge is a little
more difficult then the last. The whole process is to encourage a pilot
to continue Soaring. For most of us it has become an addiction. Treat it
as such. You will learn a lot along the way. Just know that once you
accomplish the badges, you can also realize the difficulty you had and
that those after you are going through.
One rule to remember. Have fun doing it.
Also I second the iterations to have a competent Observer to help you
not only Observe your attempts, but also help plan it before you
attempt it so the attempt is not in vein.
ASW-20 (6A)

Dan Marotta
March 29th 15, 04:29 PM
I didn't see the term, "Official Observer" mentioned in the post. Was
there one? If so, he should have rejected the claim before it was
submitted. It's part of the OO's job to not submit an invalid claim.

Terry, as soon as you said that you turned short of your first turn
point, I knew the claim was not valid. This is not government work or
the OLC so close enough does not count. To receive the badge (leg) you
must complete the task exactly per the rules, which you did not.

Two short examples: I once turned short of my point on a 500K diamond
flight because a thunder storm obscured it in a heavy downpour. I had
the distance, but not turnpoint number two. I told my observer and he
tossed my film can back at me. Not good enough.

For the other story, I once observed a 500K diamond triangle for a
friend. Trying to be sure he got a picture of his turn point (this was
in "the old days"), he took three shots. Unfortunately for him, all
three shots were taken before he entered the pie sector. I knew from
his ground track that he'd made the turn point but it was not properly
documented so I rejected the claim. I really hated doing that but the
badge is significant. It shows that you can plan and execute a flight,
not simply that it was "good enough".

Keep trying and follow the rules to the letter. A badge won't get you a
discount at Starbucks but those in the know will respect your
accomplishment and you'll be walking on air.

--
Dan Marotta

Ramy[_2_]
April 1st 15, 04:55 AM
Terry,

Although technically your flight was not qualified according to the rules, you obviously had a better flight than the minimum requirements.
So if you are not satisfied with the complex strict rules, as I would be, just use OLC.
The badges were invented well before OLC as the only way one could have measured their progress. I believe now with OLC and the likes (Crosscountry.aero, skylines) badges are mostly obsolete and you can easily track, measure and document your progress with OLC. And if you still want to pre declare your tasks, you can do so with OLC BHC.

Ramy

Brad[_2_]
April 1st 15, 05:10 AM
unless you want to pay money to get shiny bling to put on your bucket hat.

Brad

glidergeek
April 1st 15, 09:01 AM
I just cut to the chase and pursued the Diamond and got it thanks to Cindy Brickner at Cal City. Attempting a 750 km diploma I was denied because my open landing my wheel stop was like 43 seconds after sunset, go figure!

Dan Marotta
April 1st 15, 03:36 PM
True, following the lift lines will get you more time, distance, and
speed and it proves that you can go where the lift is. But badges prove
that you can plan in advance and execute a flight per that plan under a
stringent set of rules regardless of where the lift is.

You want to toot your own horn? Go fly under the cloud street. You
want the respect of your peers? Prove that you can follow in the steps
of the greats of soaring. Sure it's work but nothing worthwhile is easy.

Dan

--
Dan Marotta

MNLou
April 1st 15, 03:43 PM
As a newer pilot, I have found the badge pursuit process an outstanding way to continue learning after getting your license.

The increasing level of difficulty and training required at each step proved invaluable. I was really happy for all that training the first time I had to landout. (And the second and the third:))

A, B, C, Bronze, and Silver done - working on Gold this year!

Lou

Dan Marotta
April 1st 15, 04:19 PM
Way to go, Lou!

--
Dan Marotta

Ramy[_2_]
April 1st 15, 05:56 PM
True, OLC makes it easy to score by just yoyoing in a cloud street without getting out of glide of your home airport, but it is up to the pilot to decide how far to push the boundary. Here in Central California we always try to push the boundary and not just run the cloud streets, we declare minimum tasks and try to fly much further.
And for those who want true pre declared tasks there is the BHC OLC which requires pre declaration.
Many of our accomplished XC pilots never bothered to apply for badges.

Ramy

Greg Delp
April 1st 15, 06:31 PM
On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 12:56:31 PM UTC-4, Ramy wrote:
> True, OLC makes it easy to score by just yoyoing in a cloud street without getting out of glide of your home airport, but it is up to the pilot to decide how far to push the boundary. Here in Central California we always try to push the boundary and not just run the cloud streets, we declare minimum tasks and try to fly much further.
> And for those who want true pre declared tasks there is the BHC OLC which requires pre declaration.
> Many of our accomplished XC pilots never bothered to apply for badges.
>
> Ramy

Why not do both at the same time? The paperwork is straight forward and only slightly painful.

R. Suppards
April 1st 15, 06:32 PM
At 16:56 01 April 2015, Ramy wrote:
>True, OLC makes it easy to score by just yoyoing in a cloud street
without
>=
>getting out of glide of your home airport, but it is up to the pilot to
>dec=
>ide how far to push the boundary. Here in Central California we always
try
>=
>to push the boundary and not just run the cloud streets, we declare
>minimum=
> tasks and try to fly much further.=20
>And for those who want true pre declared tasks there is the BHC OLC which
>r=
>equires pre declaration.=20
>Many of our accomplished XC pilots never bothered to apply for badges.=20
>
>Ramy

And if they visit Europe (and many other Countries), the lack of a Silver C
will mark them down as a "WOBBLY" and limit what they will be allowed to
fly/do.

Dan Marotta
April 1st 15, 09:31 PM
<snip>

And if they visit Europe (and many other Countries), the lack of a Silver C
will mark them down as a "WOBBLY" and limit what they will be allowed to
fly/do.

<snip>

THAT's sort of the point I've been trying to make. Many operations
won't let you leave the immediate area of the airport unless you have at
least a Silver distance. If you have your own glider then do what you
want and have a great time.

Dan Marotta

April 1st 15, 10:49 PM
Look at this as a blessing in disguise. In future years, you would be embarrassed having a Silver badge leg from Minden. Diamond altitude is the only badge leg a self respecting pilot would take from Minden.

Ramy[_2_]
April 2nd 15, 05:39 AM
Hmm, if someone shows up without a silver badge but with 500km flights documented on OLC those clubs wouldn't count that? I doubt it.

Ramy

Tango Whisky
April 2nd 15, 08:09 AM
Not in the parts of Europe I know.

Le mercredi 1 avril 2015 22:31:37 UTC+2, Dan Marotta a écrit*:
> <snip>
>
> And if they visit Europe (and many other Countries), the lack of a Silver C
> will mark them down as a "WOBBLY" and limit what they will be allowed to
> fly/do.
> <snip>
>

> THAT's sort of the point I've been trying to make.* Many operations
> won't let you leave the immediate area of the airport unless you
> have at least a Silver distance.* If you have your own glider then
> do what you want and have a great time.
>

> Dan Marotta

Julian Rees
April 2nd 15, 09:50 AM
At 21:49 01 April 2015, wrote:
>Look at this as a blessing in disguise. In future years, you would be
>embarrassed having a Silver badge leg from Minden. Diamond altitude is
the
>only badge leg a self respecting pilot would take from Minden.

I visited Minden in the 1980's and we met an Italian guy who had done his
1000km the previous week (for some reason it's always the week prior to
your visit!).

He had no badges so claimed Silver, Gold, 500km Diamond, 750Km and 1000Km
all on one flight - at that time the rules meant he could not get the
diamond goal has he had too many TP's. so he knocked off a 300km triangle
the next day to complete the set!

That impressed me ........

Don Johnstone[_5_]
April 2nd 15, 12:06 PM
I know the rules are the rules but I find this a little strange. If I were
to take a launch, fly 50km in any direction and plonk my glider in a field,
provided I had only a barograph and not a logger I could quite legally
claim a silver C.
If I take a launch with a logger and declare a TP 50km away, and then land
in a field 50km from my airfield in the opposite direction I still qualify
for a silver. The net result if I stay aloft and make it back I do not
qualify, penalised for exceeding the requirement.
In the UK you have to hold a full silver before you can train as an
instructor. Having spent many years selecting instructors immediately after
their solo I know what a crock some rules are.

April 2nd 15, 01:05 PM
On Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 7:15:05 AM UTC-4, Don Johnstone wrote:
> I know the rules are the rules but I find this a little strange. If I were
> to take a launch, fly 50km in any direction and plonk my glider in a field,
> provided I had only a barograph and not a logger I could quite legally
> claim a silver C.
> If I take a launch with a logger and declare a TP 50km away, and then land
> in a field 50km from my airfield in the opposite direction I still qualify
> for a silver. The net result if I stay aloft and make it back I do not
> qualify, penalised for exceeding the requirement.
> In the UK you have to hold a full silver before you can train as an
> instructor. Having spent many years selecting instructors immediately after
> their solo I know what a crock some rules are.

One can do a Silver distance by declaring remote start and remote finish at least 50k apart with altitude loss calculated from release(not start) to landing.
One of our girls did it in my Libelle last summer getting her distance leg with a 140k or so flight. The same day her dad did 75 k straight out in his 1-26. I'd say they were about equivalent flights.
UH

MNLou
April 2nd 15, 03:22 PM
One point that I think is being missed with the discussions about Silver Badge and above -

If you don't do the C and Bronze badges, you miss the training required for them - simulated off field landings without an altimeter (both dual and solo), ability to do very accurate (and short) landings, and the cross country knowledge required to pass the Bronze written test.

One needs this training just in case one of those big flights doesn't work out so well. Plus, this training is hugely valuable if you want to fly in contests.

I am very thankful for the instructors who encouraged me to work hard to get those badges done.

Lou

MN50
April 2nd 15, 03:46 PM
> Look at this as a blessing in disguise. In future years, you would be embarrassed having a Silver badge leg from Minden. Diamond altitude is the only badge leg a self respecting pilot would take from Minden.

I disagree. Fly where you want to or where you can. Just keep at it.

The badge process is part of the learning process. It emphasizes preparation and submission of acceptable information, along with being able to do the actual flight. It also prepares the pilot for the higher hurdles when more is at stake, like the Gold Badge, Diamonds and record flights.

Minden has a special meaning in our family. The mother landed at Minden (1967 or 68) to get her Silver distance; the place was very empty then. Dad was the first to get all three diamonds a single flight(1969). I got my Diamond Alt. there (1990). Many other great flights, too.

Mike Newgard

Bruce Hoult
April 2nd 15, 03:47 PM
On Friday, April 3, 2015 at 3:22:27 AM UTC+13, MNLou wrote:
> One point that I think is being missed with the discussions about Silver Badge and above -
>
> If you don't do the C and Bronze badges, you miss the training required for them - simulated off field landings without an altimeter (both dual and solo), ability to do very accurate (and short) landings, and the cross country knowledge required to pass the Bronze written test.

You are not permitted to go more than 5 miles from the field without completing those things!!

Bob Whelan[_3_]
April 2nd 15, 03:58 PM
On 4/2/2015 8:22 AM, MNLou wrote:
> One point that I think is being missed with the discussions about Silver
> Badge and above -
>
> If you don't do the C and Bronze badges, you miss the training required for
> them - simulated off field landings without an altimeter (both dual and
> solo), ability to do very accurate (and short) landings, and the cross
> country knowledge required to pass the Bronze written test.
>
> One needs this training just in case one of those big flights doesn't work
> out so well. Plus, this training is hugely valuable if you want to fly in
> contests.
>
> I am very thankful for the instructors who encouraged me to work hard to
> get those badges done.
>
> Lou

"I'll second Lou's point."

You've gotta learn to walk before you attempt learning to run definitely
applies to XC soaring in my experience - personal and observational since
~'73. In hindsight, I was blessed to experience sensible pre-XC training "way
back when" I'd no clue what it was all about. Back then "it all began with the
Silver C badge," i.e. no formalized pre-Silver formal training syllabus. It
was presented to me - and I lapped it up in eager ignorance - as, "Here's the
basics of what you'll need to know to safely - and certainly unsuccessfully,
at times (i.e. landout required) - fly XC.

Since then, I've seen more than one XC wannabe attempt to run before they
learned to walk, which is to say attempt to buy L/D as their means of avoiding
landouts. (More than told me in all seriousness, "I don't intend to land out;
my L/D will get me to an airport.") Some were ultimately successful; some
seemed to scare themselves out of the sport from (it seemed to me) vague
feelings of unease; some broke their gliders. Those that were successful
ultimately learned of the need to walk despite their original intentions.

For the skeptical, I'm not suggesting that even if a person *does* learn to
walk first, that their XC adventures are guaranteed to be without negative
landout trauma. Just that learning to walk first is the wiser approach by far.

As to personal bona fides, SSA members can verify I never officially bagged
more than 2/3 of my Silver Badge (guess which leg is missing!), while lotsa
folks on both sides of retrieves can testify to my walking and running experience.

Have fun out there!!! (I'd say "Be safe, too," but fun and safety are merely
opposite sides of the same coin...no need to be overly redundant by repeating
myself more than once!)

Bob W.

Dan Marotta
April 2nd 15, 10:42 PM
It's not that hard to do a 500K OLC flight without ever getting more
than about 25 miles from the home airport. At least that is so at
Moriarty. It's more difficult to do a 300K Gold distance/Diamond goal
triangle. Just sayin...

Why encourage people to not try?

--
Dan Marotta

Dan Marotta
April 2nd 15, 10:46 PM
I think that's a good idea, Don. An instructor should know how to fly
and teach cross country. In the US there are plenty of instructors who
don't fly cross country and can't teach someone how. I, for one, had to
learn by listening, asking questions, following more experienced glider
pilots, and stretching my wings on my own.

On 4/2/2015 5:06 AM, Don Johnstone wrote:
> I know the rules are the rules but I find this a little strange. If I were
> to take a launch, fly 50km in any direction and plonk my glider in a field,
> provided I had only a barograph and not a logger I could quite legally
> claim a silver C.
> If I take a launch with a logger and declare a TP 50km away, and then land
> in a field 50km from my airfield in the opposite direction I still qualify
> for a silver. The net result if I stay aloft and make it back I do not
> qualify, penalised for exceeding the requirement.
> In the UK you have to hold a full silver before you can train as an
> instructor. Having spent many years selecting instructors immediately after
> their solo I know what a crock some rules are.

--
Dan Marotta

Eric
April 3rd 15, 09:36 AM
On Thu, 02 Apr 2015 11:06:53 +0000, Don Johnstone
> wrote:

>I know the rules are the rules but I find this a little strange. If I were
>to take a launch, fly 50km in any direction and plonk my glider in a field,
>provided I had only a barograph and not a logger I could quite legally
>claim a silver C.
>If I take a launch with a logger and declare a TP 50km away, and then land
>in a field 50km from my airfield in the opposite direction I still qualify
>for a silver. The net result if I stay aloft and make it back I do not
>qualify, penalised for exceeding the requirement.
>In the UK you have to hold a full silver before you can train as an
>instructor. Having spent many years selecting instructors immediately after
>their solo I know what a crock some rules are.

Not so. GPS landout is allowed. If you have logged a point more than
50km from your release point or declared start and that point
satisfies the 1% rule then you can claim a silver distance. There is
no requirement to landout. You can fly home if you wish.

Basil

Jonathan St. Cloud
April 6th 15, 05:07 AM
The badge process has withstood the test of time in building confidence and skill. It took me three tries to finally get my diamond out and return. I learned much from each flight, plus the fights got me flying further from hm each time. On the first attempt the Cambridge data logger recorded points on either side of the turn point quadrant and if you drew a line between the points the line would go through the quadrant, but it was rejected for not hanging a Piont in the quadrant. The second time, the logger lost GPS signal for about four minutes while I was at the turn Piont. I was heading for home when the logger re-established contact, I turned around and repeated the turn point but the claim was rejected as I had lost GPS and thus no logging for four minutes. It was obvious to Judy Lincoln that on both flights I completed the required distance but I was not in technical compliance.. So I flew it a third time! I had not been flying 500 k's more like 200k's, each summer weekend, all the sudden I did three 500 k's on three successive weekends. I think not getting the badge on the first two attempts was responsible for seriously expanding my range. If your badge claim is denied, try try again, you will learn.

Tim Newport-Peace[_2_]
April 7th 15, 09:34 AM
At 04:07 06 April 2015, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
>The badge process has withstood the test of time in building confidence
>and=
> skill. It took me three tries to finally get my diamond out and return.
>=
>learned much from each flight, plus the fights got me flying further from
>h=
>m each time. On the first attempt the Cambridge data logger recorded
>point=
>s on either side of the turn point quadrant and if you drew a line
between
>=
>the points the line would go through the quadrant, but it was rejected
for
>=
>not hanging a Piont in the quadrant.

You don't say when this was, but for a number of years a line through the
quadrant has been an option in the Sporting Code. Sounds as though you were
robbed.

>The second time, the logger lost GPS
>=
>signal for about four minutes while I was at the turn Piont. I was
>heading=
> for home when the logger re-established contact, I turned around and
>repea=
>ted the turn point but the claim was rejected as I had lost GPS and thus
>no=
> logging for four minutes. It was obvious to Judy Lincoln that on both
>flig=
>hts I completed the required distance but I was not in technical
>compliance=

I would fight that one too. If the Pressure barogram shows that you could
not have landed and re-launched (no ground within range at a height shown
on the barogram), where's the problem?
Anyway you would need to be very quick to land and re-launch in four
minutes!

But then I haven't seen the trace.

>.. So I flew it a third time! I had not been flying 500 k's more like
>200k=
>'s, each summer weekend, all the sudden I did three 500 k's on three
>succes=
>sive weekends. I think not getting the badge on the first two attempts
>was=
> responsible for seriously expanding my range. If your badge claim is
>deni=
>ed, try try again, you will learn.

Jonathan St. Cloud
April 7th 15, 08:06 PM
Dear Tim:

The time frame of the flights discussed was approximately 1996. I certainly was frustrated with the first denial, the second one I could understand as the recorder had stopped recording for about four minutes, but was very obvious I could not have landed and took off and climbed to altitude in that that short time frame. However, it was all a blessing in disguise. Before these flights I had been circling the airport maybe out to 50 - 70 miles at most. Now all the sudden I found I could declare a 500 K fly it and do the same thing again on suppose! Before these flights I had actually been passed about 20 miles out returning to the airport by an instructor flown ASK-21, I was flying a pre-winglet ASW-24 (my first real glider). Before the ASW-24 I had been renting the fixed wheel single seat Grob. I was still learning to fly the ASW-24, I thought it climbed best at 60 knots and all the experienced pilots were telling me I did not know what I was talking about I should be thermaling at 50 knots. Turns out I was right, the following year JJ installed winglets, that really made a big difference. That was a great bird. I remember the second year I had it, I set a goal of flying 400 hours. I flew all the time, if the weather was good during the week I would take a day (or two) off work to fly. I went on a soaring vacation for week to Minden and another week to Hobbs. Found out flying in the flat land is scary, in the mountains if I get low I tuck in close to the mountains, in flat land there is no place to tuck into :( I ended the season with 275 hours and there was just no way I could ever take that much time off of work again. I learned as much from the failures to earn the badge as I did from earning the badge. I sold the 24 moved up in size and had much fun until work, family and other interests lead me to stop soaring for other pursuits. I am back to soaring now and looking forward to this year and to buying a glider.

Google