PDA

View Full Version : FS2002 new runway

cruise
September 16th 03, 08:12 PM
In FS2002, when flying IFR with ATC, on approach I am given vectors to a
particular runway at any given airport. Is there any way of requesting a
different runway?

Bill
September 16th 03, 08:54 PM
Not in 2002. you can in 2004 with a minor ATC problem.

Bill

"cruise" > wrote in message
> In FS2002, when flying IFR with ATC, on approach I am given vectors to a
> particular runway at any given airport. Is there any way of requesting a
> different runway?

Paul Riley
September 16th 03, 10:16 PM
"Bill" > wrote in message
> Not in 2002. you can in 2004 with a minor ATC problem.
>
> Bill

For FS2002, you can get AFCAD (ver 1.4 is the latest I believe) and that
lets you close certain runways to landings. Forces ATC to use the one you
want.

Not what you wanted to hear, but the only way it can be done.

Paul

Mark Cherry
September 23rd 03, 01:34 AM
In ,
cruise wrote:

> In FS2002, when flying IFR with ATC, on approach I am given vectors
> to a particular runway at any given airport. Is there any way of
> requesting a different runway?

If it works the way I think it does, it offers you the runway which points into
the wind, as best as possible, so it should be the best choice already. I admit
it can be a pain when you approach from a particular direction and get vectored
all the way round to land in the opposite direction. Being in the UK myself, I
expect westerly prevailing winds but, in spite of that, more often than not I
get offered R08R, landing at Gatwick.

I'm guessing that it's not so much a matter of 'favourite' runways though, more
one of making sure you're offered one that's the right length for a large
airliner and not being offered that piddly little grass runway, just because it
happens to be pointing into the wind, on the day, right?

I'm switching to FS2002Pro next week and will find out what you mean but I get
much the same ATC control at the moment by using Flight Shop, with FS98.

For anyone still using it, who is interested, the trick is to edit the fsadv.ini
file and change the 'long runway length' value to 6500 or whatever suits your
favourite airliner. Save and exit. Now run FSADV.EXE and edit the runways
database. All you need do now is to edit the runway length to below this minimum
requirement, instead of deleting it completely. That way, should you wish to fly
with ATC control to this airport in a light aircraft, you can compile the
adventure without the 'long runway requested' option and be sure of a full range
of runway options on arrival.

Next, reload the flight plan, delete the affected airport from the plan list,
then add it back again and save the new plan (or else the amendments aren't
detected, it seems). Recompile the adventure ("upload flightplan to FSS") and it
should work more like you expect.

In my case, I knobbled EGKK R08L/26R by shortening it, because that seemed to be
ATC's prefferred offer for takeoffs as well and it's the shorter of the two,
when it's not being used as a taxiway.

It obviously never occurred to the programmers to add a 'runway closed' checkbox
and it takes another level of sophistication again to handle "R08R Mon, Wed,
Fri-Sun, closed Tue, Thu for maintainance".... <g>

--
regards,

Mark
mailto -- .- .-. -.- -.-. .... . .-. .-. -.-- {.- -}-.-. --- -- .--.
...- ... . .-. ...- . {-.. --- -} -.-. --- --

Ron Ginsberg
September 27th 03, 12:38 AM
If you are really into ATC control, then look at acquiring Radar
Contact. The latest version will work with both FS2K2 and FS2K4 and
requires the latest version of FSUIPC but should register itself with
that utility for the few services it requires.

Either before you intialize the flight or during any appropriate phase
you can request departure and arrival runways, or request to follow an
approach procedure (IAP) as published for a particulat entry. You can
use a flight planner of your choice exporting in the MS flight plan
format so SIDS and STARS can be used by entering the waypoints.

You can also let RC choose the arrival based on wind, runway facilities,
etc.

The latest version now recognizes AI enroute and will call traffic
target advisories (but not control AI). On final, it will recognise AI
entering the runway and order a go-around.

Be prepared to digest a fairly large manual in .pdf format. In my case I
had it printed and bound at a local shop.

You can find their support forum on Avsim.

Mark Cherry
September 27th 03, 01:22 PM
In ,
Ron Ginsberg wrote:

> If you are really into ATC control, then look at acquiring Radar
> Contact. The latest version will work with both FS2K2 and FS2K4 and
> requires the latest version of FSUIPC but should register itself with
> that utility for the few services it requires.
>
> Either before you intialize the flight or during any appropriate phase
> you can request departure and arrival runways, or request to follow an
> approach procedure (IAP) as published for a particulat entry. You can
> use a flight planner of your choice exporting in the MS flight plan
> format so SIDS and STARS can be used by entering the waypoints.
>
> You can also let RC choose the arrival based on wind, runway
> facilities, etc.
>
> The latest version now recognizes AI enroute and will call traffic
> target advisories (but not control AI). On final, it will recognise AI
> entering the runway and order a go-around.
>
> Be prepared to digest a fairly large manual in .pdf format. In my
> case I had it printed and bound at a local shop.
>
> You can find their support forum on Avsim.

Thanks Ron, I'll try to remember about this.

Trouble is, I've got FS2002 Pro. I've only just started using it and have barely
begun to try out some of the new features (relative to FS98). One if them is the
built-in flightplanner & the ATC menus. The manual says it's not designed to
handle SIDs/STARs (and what are the odds on the data being wrong for someone,
somewhere, if they'd tried to) but the user is free to define all the necessary
waypoints to perform these. The ATC vectoring and/or GPS control of the
autopilot will then take you through these, stage by stage.

If I find that there are serious shortcomings with the built-in system then I'll
consider buying a commercial add-on like Radar Contact but, having just bought a
whole new PC to run 2k2P on, I'm going to be a bit 'jurassic lint' for a good
few months yet.... :-\

--
regards,

Mark