PDA

View Full Version : FS98 airport textures in FS2004

Joseph Brown
September 17th 03, 05:50 PM
Recently I added an airport file (airport123.bgl) in theFS2004 /scenery
directory. This airport bgl file was created for FS98.

The airport now appears; all the runways, taxiways, airport buildings and
tower are there and visible from a distance. The problem is that the
airport contour is ALL WHITE! As if somebody spilled milk all over the
airport. The white mass doesn't affect the runway, taxiway, buildings and
towers.

What I did notice, when I land on the said airport, FS2004 will generate a
good textures (instead of white). But this only happens on the ground and in
close range. <300ft)

Is there a way to have FS2004 generate a pleasent green on generic texture
in and around this airport, instead of displaying a white mass?

If not, is it safe to also import FS98 textures into FS2004? And how do I
know which textures this particular bgl file requires? I would prefer to
have FS2004 generate auto textures tho.

Thanks in advance

Joseph Brown
September 17th 03, 07:57 PM
Yes, but how do I know which texture [of the many] to copy?

Isn't there any way to make FS2004 to use a default texture there?

> Joseph,
> try copying the texture in the main directory (texture)
> of Fs

Joseph Brown
September 18th 03, 03:10 AM
> Check the documentation of your add-on to know which textures you
> added in FS98 and must be ported over to FS2004...

The documentation doesn't offer much of help since this file is part of an
entire scenery area.

If I won't find a way for FS2004 to generate generic textures within this
airport perimeter, what I'll end up doing, is probably copy the all FS98
texture files into the FS2004 texture directory and cross my fingers for any
conflicts or incompatibility issues.

Tom Gibson
September 18th 03, 06:48 PM
I haven't tested this, but some are saying that FS2004 will not display
the old texture format (they were called R8's). If so, perhaps the
textures supplied are in that format. You might be able to convert them
to BMP files using one of the texture converters available at the large
file sites?

Hope this helps,

--
Tom Gibson

California Classic Propliners: http://www.calclassic.com/

Cal Classic Alco Page: http://www.calclassic.com/alco/

Freeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.com/

San Diego Model RR Museum: http://www.sdmodelrailroadm.com/

Drop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Thomas Peel
September 20th 03, 01:18 PM
Tom Gibson schrieb:

> I haven't tested this, but some are saying that FS2004 will not display
> the old texture format (they were called R8's). If so, perhaps the
> textures supplied are in that format. You might be able to convert them
> to BMP files using one of the texture converters available at the large
> file sites?

Yes, but would the .bgl scenery files reference them correctly?
To find out exactly which textures the OP needs, he could get hold of a
hex file editor (I use FED for example) and scan through the .bgl files
looking for filenames ending like R8, OAV etc.
I didn't know FS2004 didn't handle old texture files. Sounds like
another reason not to buy it.

Tom

> Hope this helps,
>
> Joseph Brown wrote:
> >>Check the documentation of your add-on to know which textures you
> >>added in FS98 and must be ported over to FS2004...
> >

> > The documentation doesn't offer much of help since this file is part of an
> > entire scenery area.
> >
> > If I won't find a way for FS2004 to generate generic textures within this
> > airport perimeter, what I'll end up doing, is probably copy the all FS98
> > texture files into the FS2004 texture directory and cross my fingers for any
> > conflicts or incompatibility issues.
> >

> --
> Tom Gibson
>
> California Classic Propliners: http://www.calclassic.com/
>
> Cal Classic Alco Page: http://www.calclassic.com/alco/
>
> Freeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.com/
>
> San Diego Model RR Museum: http://www.sdmodelrailroadm.com/
>
> Drop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Thomas Peel
September 20th 03, 01:19 PM
Tom Gibson schrieb:

> I haven't tested this, but some are saying that FS2004 will not display
> the old texture format (they were called R8's). If so, perhaps the
> textures supplied are in that format. You might be able to convert them
> to BMP files using one of the texture converters available at the large
> file sites?

Yes, but would the .bgl scenery files reference them correctly?
To find out exactly which textures the OP needs, he could get hold of a
hex file editor (I use FED for example) and scan through the .bgl files
looking for filenames ending like R8, OAV etc.
I didn't know FS2004 didn't handle old texture files. Sounds like
another reason not to buy it.

Tom

> Hope this helps,
>
> Joseph Brown wrote:
> >>Check the documentation of your add-on to know which textures you
> >>added in FS98 and must be ported over to FS2004...
> >

> > The documentation doesn't offer much of help since this file is part of an
> > entire scenery area.
> >
> > If I won't find a way for FS2004 to generate generic textures within this
> > airport perimeter, what I'll end up doing, is probably copy the all FS98
> > texture files into the FS2004 texture directory and cross my fingers for any
> > conflicts or incompatibility issues.
> >

> --
> Tom Gibson
>
> California Classic Propliners: http://www.calclassic.com/
>
> Cal Classic Alco Page: http://www.calclassic.com/alco/
>
> Freeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.com/
>
> San Diego Model RR Museum: http://www.sdmodelrailroadm.com/
>
> Drop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Mark Cherry
September 21st 03, 09:30 AM
In ,
Joseph Brown wrote:

>> Check the documentation of your add-on to know which textures you
>> added in FS98 and must be ported over to FS2004...
>
> The documentation doesn't offer much of help since this file is part
> of an entire scenery area.
>
> If I won't find a way for FS2004 to generate generic textures within
> this airport perimeter, what I'll end up doing, is probably copy the
> all FS98 texture files into the FS2004 texture directory and cross my
> fingers for any conflicts or incompatibility issues.

Judging by what Tom Gibson said about 2004 not being able to handle R8 files
then the textures you are seeing when down at ground level have to be the 2004
textures. Up in the air, you probably see the white splodge because the 98
scenery is interefering with the display of the terrain mesh.

Converting textures to BMP format won't do any good because bgl code calls
texture files by name and expects the R8 extension by default. Where custom
texture file extensions have been used, the scenery maker would have had to
specify the texture name and extension when they wrote the code. Therefore it
won't find its textures if you've changed their extension names. There are some
subtle differences about the file format of R8 compared to BMP (possibly in the
header information) which means that BMPs cannot be displayed properly by the
old bgl code.

MS have freed themselves from the restrictions of "Bruce's Graphic Language"
(Bruce Artwick) and opened up new possibilities for whoever can write the next
freeware scenery compiler but, at the same time, they've closed us all off from
the massive libraries of 3rd party scenery created to date. The FS team at MS
can't be expected to map the entire world in infinit detail and they never had
to - up to now there's been a small army of helpers producing detailed sceneries
based on genuine local knowlede. Unfortunately, they've now been put out of
action....

Your current airport file might be okay as a stop-gap but it would be better to
wait until 3rd party scenery makers work out how to build new airports for
FS2004.

What I'm intrigued by is that there are a number of airports which are not as
flat as a billiard table - runways that slope from one end to another, or can be
somewhat dish shaped in profile. There's going to be a whole extra level of
sophistication required, to simulate that, so we might only be able to expect a
slow trickle of stuff at first. Let's see.

--
regards,

Mark

Google