PDA

View Full Version : Free-Fall for 160,000 ft?

Randy L.
September 22nd 03, 06:10 AM
I found a rather unusual thing to do in FS9. There is a REALLY
spectacular elevation goof near Kamarang, Guyana (SYKM) using the default
scenery. There is an incredible spire that extends to an elevation of
+61,000 ft, and right next to it an even deeper sinkhole that goes down an
unbeleivable -101,000 ft! Tonight I slewed the Cessna 172 to the very top of
the rock spire, took the aircraft off slew, and started free-falling with no
engine. I was able to guide my Cessna into the sinkhole, where I continued
to fall another +100,000 feet, trying to keep away from the walls of the
hole, until the walls of the sinkhole became too narrow for the wings. This
would be an incredible virtual sky-dive, as it took me many minutes to fall
the +160,000 feet. I wonder if there is a parachutist that is compatible
with FS9?

Randy L.

--
"Americans are despised for reasons that
have less to do with who we are and

nathantw
September 22nd 03, 06:40 AM
Congrats, you found heaven and hell!

"Randy L." > wrote in message
> I found a rather unusual thing to do in FS9. There is a REALLY
> spectacular elevation goof near Kamarang, Guyana (SYKM) using the default
> scenery. There is an incredible spire that extends to an elevation of
> +61,000 ft, and right next to it an even deeper sinkhole that goes down an
> unbeleivable -101,000 ft! Tonight I slewed the Cessna 172 to the very top
of
> the rock spire, took the aircraft off slew, and started free-falling with
no
> engine. I was able to guide my Cessna into the sinkhole, where I continued
> to fall another +100,000 feet, trying to keep away from the walls of the
> hole, until the walls of the sinkhole became too narrow for the wings.
This
> would be an incredible virtual sky-dive, as it took me many minutes to
fall
> the +160,000 feet. I wonder if there is a parachutist that is compatible
> with FS9?
>
> Randy L.
>
> --
> "Americans are despised for reasons that
> have less to do with who we are and
> what we have, and more to do with the
> dictatorial political and religious leaders
> who seek to shift attention away from
> the misery they impose on the people
> they control and toward the United
> States and others that are guilty of no
> more than succeeding where they
> have failed. "
> -Cal Thomas

HockeyTownUSA
September 22nd 03, 11:35 AM
Thanks! Will have to check that out tonight!

"Randy L." > wrote in message
> I found a rather unusual thing to do in FS9. There is a REALLY
> spectacular elevation goof near Kamarang, Guyana (SYKM) using the default
> scenery. There is an incredible spire that extends to an elevation of
> +61,000 ft, and right next to it an even deeper sinkhole that goes down an
> unbeleivable -101,000 ft! Tonight I slewed the Cessna 172 to the very top
of
> the rock spire, took the aircraft off slew, and started free-falling with
no
> engine. I was able to guide my Cessna into the sinkhole, where I continued
> to fall another +100,000 feet, trying to keep away from the walls of the
> hole, until the walls of the sinkhole became too narrow for the wings.
This
> would be an incredible virtual sky-dive, as it took me many minutes to
fall
> the +160,000 feet. I wonder if there is a parachutist that is compatible
> with FS9?
>
> Randy L.
>
> --
> "Americans are despised for reasons that
> have less to do with who we are and
> what we have, and more to do with the
> dictatorial political and religious leaders
> who seek to shift attention away from
> the misery they impose on the people
> they control and toward the United
> States and others that are guilty of no
> more than succeeding where they
> have failed. "
> -Cal Thomas

Pete H
September 22nd 03, 01:04 PM
In the 1960's, a test pilot for NASA I think did a freefall from a balloon
100,000 feet or so. Apparently he went supersonic at the higher altitude. It
was a test for bailouts from spacecraft.

Pete H
"HockeyTownUSA" > wrote in message
> Thanks! Will have to check that out tonight!
>

> "Randy L." > wrote in message
> > I found a rather unusual thing to do in FS9. There is a REALLY
> > spectacular elevation goof near Kamarang, Guyana (SYKM) using the
default
> > scenery. There is an incredible spire that extends to an elevation of
> > +61,000 ft, and right next to it an even deeper sinkhole that goes down
an
> > unbeleivable -101,000 ft! Tonight I slewed the Cessna 172 to the very
top
> of
> > the rock spire, took the aircraft off slew, and started free-falling
with
> no
> > engine. I was able to guide my Cessna into the sinkhole, where I
continued
> > to fall another +100,000 feet, trying to keep away from the walls of the
> > hole, until the walls of the sinkhole became too narrow for the wings.
> This
> > would be an incredible virtual sky-dive, as it took me many minutes to
> fall
> > the +160,000 feet. I wonder if there is a parachutist that is compatible
> > with FS9?
> >
> > Randy L.
> >
> > --
> > "Americans are despised for reasons that
> > have less to do with who we are and
> > what we have, and more to do with the
> > dictatorial political and religious leaders
> > who seek to shift attention away from
> > the misery they impose on the people
> > they control and toward the United
> > States and others that are guilty of no
> > more than succeeding where they
> > have failed. "
> > -Cal Thomas

Bill
September 22nd 03, 02:28 PM
Guyana has some nice scenery and a large water fall. I forget the name off
hand.

Just curious about your descent. How did the altimeter react? Can it record
100,000ft?

Bill

"Randy L." > wrote in message
> I found a rather unusual thing to do in FS9. There is a REALLY
> spectacular elevation goof near Kamarang, Guyana (SYKM) using the default
> scenery. There is an incredible spire that extends to an elevation of
> +61,000 ft, and right next to it an even deeper sinkhole that goes down an
> unbeleivable -101,000 ft! Tonight I slewed the Cessna 172 to the very top
of
> the rock spire, took the aircraft off slew, and started free-falling with
no
> engine. I was able to guide my Cessna into the sinkhole, where I continued
> to fall another +100,000 feet, trying to keep away from the walls of the
> hole, until the walls of the sinkhole became too narrow for the wings.
This
> would be an incredible virtual sky-dive, as it took me many minutes to
fall
> the +160,000 feet. I wonder if there is a parachutist that is compatible
> with FS9?
>
> Randy L.
>
> --
> "Americans are despised for reasons that
> have less to do with who we are and
> what we have, and more to do with the
> dictatorial political and religious leaders
> who seek to shift attention away from
> the misery they impose on the people
> they control and toward the United
> States and others that are guilty of no
> more than succeeding where they
> have failed. "
> -Cal Thomas

H M
September 22nd 03, 02:51 PM
Pete H wrote:
> In the 1960's, a test pilot for NASA I think did a freefall from a balloon
> 100,000 feet or so. Apparently he went supersonic at the higher altitude. It
> was a test for bailouts from spacecraft.

you sure that was in the 60s? i read about a guy planning such a stunt
less than 2 years ago...
besides, could balloons go that high back then?

Randy L.
September 22nd 03, 03:01 PM
Bill,
While in free-fall I selected the 2-D cockpit view, then pressed "W" until
the cockpit was completly turned off. This gave me a good unobstructed view
with no isntruments, as if I were parachuting. I did press shift-z though,
so I could get a text representation of my speed & altitude at the top of
the screen. I also had the flaps extended fully so I wouldn't fall too fast
& overstress the aircraft. I wish there were skydiver add-on for FS2004, so
I could try this with a real parachute.

Randy L.

"Bill" > wrote in message
> Guyana has some nice scenery and a large water fall. I forget the name off
> hand.
>
> Just curious about your descent. How did the altimeter react? Can it
record
> 100,000ft?
>
> Bill

Bill
September 22nd 03, 03:02 PM
Thanks. Will have to try that

Bill

"Randy L." > wrote in message
> Bill,
> While in free-fall I selected the 2-D cockpit view, then pressed "W" until
> the cockpit was completly turned off. This gave me a good unobstructed
view
> with no isntruments, as if I were parachuting. I did press shift-z though,
> so I could get a text representation of my speed & altitude at the top of
> the screen. I also had the flaps extended fully so I wouldn't fall too
fast
> & overstress the aircraft. I wish there were skydiver add-on for FS2004,
so
> I could try this with a real parachute.
>
> Randy L.
>
> "Bill" > wrote in message
> > Guyana has some nice scenery and a large water fall. I forget the name
off
> > hand.
> >
> > Just curious about your descent. How did the altimeter react? Can it
> record
> > 100,000ft?
> >
> > Bill

John Shirley
September 22nd 03, 03:25 PM
Sometime before 22 Sep 2003, H M stated:

> Pete H wrote:
>> In the 1960's, a test pilot for NASA I think did a freefall from a
>> balloon 100,000 feet or so. Apparently he went supersonic at the
>> higher altitude. It was a test for bailouts from spacecraft.
>
> you sure that was in the 60s? i read about a guy planning such a stunt
> less than 2 years ago...
> besides, could balloons go that high back then?

Yeah, it was back then. In 1960, Col. Joe Kittinger jumped from a balloon
from about 103,000 feet. A year or two ago, some French guy said he was
going to jump from about 130,000 ft. No idea if he ever did it, though.

--
John Shirley
Remove SPAM SUCKS to E-mail

ThrashATL
September 22nd 03, 05:39 PM
"Bill" > wrote in message
> Guyana has some nice scenery and a large water fall. I forget the name off
> hand.
>
> Just curious about your descent. How did the altimeter react? Can it record
> 100,000ft?
>
> Bill

The altimeter won't show it but the slew mode altitude does. That 61,000'
spike is what I called a LANDMARK.

Angus Lepper
September 22nd 03, 10:05 PM
Hate to break it, but you ain't the first to find that, someone posted a
week back about it..... in rec.aviation.simulators.
"ThrashATL" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "Bill" > wrote in message
> > Guyana has some nice scenery and a large water fall. I forget the name
off
> > hand.
> >
> > Just curious about your descent. How did the altimeter react? Can it
record
> > 100,000ft?
> >
> > Bill
>
> The altimeter won't show it but the slew mode altitude does. That
61,000'
> spike is what I called a LANDMARK.

J S Allison
September 23rd 03, 12:00 AM
Hmm, anyone know if there's a ballistic recovery chute system modelled for
FS? ;)

jsa

"Randy L." > wrote in message
> I found a rather unusual thing to do in FS9. There is a REALLY
> spectacular elevation goof near Kamarang, Guyana (SYKM) using the default
> scenery. There is an incredible spire that extends to an elevation of
> +61,000 ft, and right next to it an even deeper sinkhole that goes down an
> unbeleivable -101,000 ft! Tonight I slewed the Cessna 172 to the very top
of
> the rock spire, took the aircraft off slew, and started free-falling with
no
> engine. I was able to guide my Cessna into the sinkhole, where I continued
> to fall another +100,000 feet, trying to keep away from the walls of the
> hole, until the walls of the sinkhole became too narrow for the wings.
This
> would be an incredible virtual sky-dive, as it took me many minutes to
fall
> the +160,000 feet. I wonder if there is a parachutist that is compatible
> with FS9?
>
> Randy L.
>
> --
> "Americans are despised for reasons that
> have less to do with who we are and
> what we have, and more to do with the
> dictatorial political and religious leaders
> who seek to shift attention away from
> the misery they impose on the people
> they control and toward the United
> States and others that are guilty of no
> more than succeeding where they
> have failed. "
> -Cal Thomas

pr
September 23rd 03, 03:33 PM
J S Allison ) wrote:

> Hmm, anyone know if there's a ballistic recovery chute system modelled for
> FS? ;)

I'm still waiting for a good Cirrus SR22 to be released. Hopefully the
'chute will be included.

--
Peter

Brian Sommers
September 23rd 03, 06:36 PM
yeah that would be great!, what i wish would be a mp addon that would allow
people to do skydiving, you could even do the smoke thing and try to do
group configuratins together, that would be tons of fun

"pr" > wrote in message
> J S Allison ) wrote:
>
> > Hmm, anyone know if there's a ballistic recovery chute system modelled
for
> > FS? ;)
>
> I'm still waiting for a good Cirrus SR22 to be released. Hopefully the
> 'chute will be included.
>
> --
> Peter

News==----
Newsgroups
=---

Worrybird
September 24th 03, 07:18 AM
Well, you could download the AirWave Xtreme Hang Glider as the next best
thing.

"Randy L." > wrote in message
> Bill,
> While in free-fall I selected the 2-D cockpit view, then pressed "W" until
> the cockpit was completly turned off. This gave me a good unobstructed
view
> with no isntruments, as if I were parachuting. I did press shift-z though,
> so I could get a text representation of my speed & altitude at the top of
> the screen. I also had the flaps extended fully so I wouldn't fall too
fast
> & overstress the aircraft. I wish there were skydiver add-on for FS2004,
so
> I could try this with a real parachute.
>
> Randy L.
>
> "Bill" > wrote in message
> > Guyana has some nice scenery and a large water fall. I forget the name
off
> > hand.
> >
> > Just curious about your descent. How did the altimeter react? Can it
> record
> > 100,000ft?
> >
> > Bill

Zoepetier
September 25th 03, 11:39 AM
pr wrote:

> I'm still waiting for a good Cirrus SR22 to be released. Hopefully the
> 'chute will be included.

Me too. Someone should tell them to hurry up and get it done!

Marcel

Bill Leaming
September 27th 03, 03:56 AM
pr wrote:

> J S Allison ) wrote:
>
> > Hmm, anyone know if there's a ballistic recovery chute system modelled for
> > FS? ;)
>
> I'm still waiting for a good Cirrus SR22 to be released. Hopefully the
> 'chute will be included.

Then you'll be happy to know that one is currently under final development, with an
operating CAPS system! Another crew is working on the SR22 and it is going to be
fabulous!

BTW, did you happen to d/l Bob C's delightful Lancair Legacy? Talk about a SWEET
aircraft! Wow!

Bill
--
Fr. Bill Leaming

ICQ 12881426

Religious Error: (A)tone (R)epent (B)lame Satan

: http://avsim.com
Eaglesoft Development Group: http://eaglesoftdg1.com
FS2002 FAQ: http://209.15.180.153/MSFS/faq.htm
Personal Website: http://catholic-hymns.com/frbill
Catholic Hymns Website: http://catholic-hymns.com

Bill Leaming
September 29th 03, 03:44 AM
Bill Leaming wrote:

> pr wrote:
>
> > J S Allison ) wrote:
> >
> > > Hmm, anyone know if there's a ballistic recovery chute system modelled for
> > > FS? ;)
> >
> > I'm still waiting for a good Cirrus SR22 to be released. Hopefully the
> > 'chute will be included.
>
> Then you'll be happy to know that one is currently under final development, with an
> operating CAPS system! Another crew is working on the SR22 and it is going to be
> fabulous!

http://flightfactory-simulations.com

Their "old forum" had some awesome screen shots of the SR22 w/ the CAPS deployed... but
the pictures are gone now.

There are a couple showing the VC panel, and it is simply stunning! :)

Bill
--
Fr. Bill Leaming

ICQ 12881426

Religious Error: (A)tone (R)epent (B)lame Satan

: http://avsim.com
Eaglesoft Development Group: http://eaglesoftdg1.com
FS2002 FAQ: http://209.15.180.153/MSFS/faq.htm
Personal Website: http://catholic-hymns.com/frbill
Catholic Hymns Website: http://catholic-hymns.com

pr
September 29th 03, 03:32 PM
Bill Leaming ) wrote:

> pr wrote:
>
> > J S Allison ) wrote:
> >
> > > Hmm, anyone know if there's a ballistic recovery chute system modelled for
> > > FS? ;)
> >
> > I'm still waiting for a good Cirrus SR22 to be released. Hopefully the
> > 'chute will be included.
>
> Then you'll be happy to know that one is currently under final development,
> with an operating CAPS system! Another crew is working on the SR22 and it is
> going to be fabulous!

Well, now, this is excellent news! Thanks, Bill!

> BTW, did you happen to d/l Bob C's delightful Lancair Legacy? Talk about a SWEET
> aircraft! Wow!

No, I was unaware of this gem. At your recommendation, though, I will.

--
Peter

Google