PDA

View Full Version : GOOGLE Spam

Doug
September 23rd 03, 11:18 PM
Hi Flight Sim addicts, has anybody besides me started getting way more
spam to the email address they registered on Google Groups with?
Before I registered last week, my hotmail address got very little
spam, maybe 1 a week, the evening after registering my account size
was over limit, all crap like phony security updates and email
delivery failures to totally weird email address that i definatly
never tried to email too. And every day it's over limit again unless i
put on full junk mail filter which would probably delete any wanted
mail too. Its very obvious that Google is selling our address (at
least mine) to spammers but when I sent an email expressing my
dipleasure they only sent a short email saying that they would get
back to me and that was a week ago now. I hope anyone else being
treated the same as myself will start bombarding Google with
complaints!

Jim Vadek
September 24th 03, 02:41 AM
Whenever you sign up for something use a junkmail e-mail address from
Hotmail, Yahoo or other such free e-mail service.

"Doug" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi Flight Sim addicts, has anybody besides me started getting way more
> spam to the email address they registered on Google Groups with?
> Before I registered last week, my hotmail address got very little
> spam, maybe 1 a week, the evening after registering my account size
> was over limit, all crap like phony security updates and email
> delivery failures to totally weird email address that i definatly
> never tried to email too. And every day it's over limit again unless i
> put on full junk mail filter which would probably delete any wanted
> mail too. Its very obvious that Google is selling our address (at
> least mine) to spammers but when I sent an email expressing my
> dipleasure they only sent a short email saying that they would get
> back to me and that was a week ago now. I hope anyone else being
> treated the same as myself will start bombarding Google with
> complaints!

Icebound
September 24th 03, 03:23 AM
Doug wrote:
> Hi Flight Sim addicts, has anybody besides me started getting way more
> spam to the email address they registered on Google Groups with?
> Before I registered last week, my hotmail address got very little
> spam, ...snip...

It is possibly nothing to do with google, but with the fact that you
posted to a usenet group (which you may indeed have done via google, but
that is not their fault)... that address shows up as your "from"
address, and the automated sleazy web crawlers pick that off and put it
on their lists.... That's why you see all those "NOSPAM" or "REMOVETHIS"
or stuff like that inserted in addresses to keep the sleaze-balls confused.

--
"The Final 20 percent of the Project... requires 80 percent of the Effort"
---- paraphrased from Vilfredo Pareto (1848-1923)

Brett Holcomb
September 24th 03, 03:46 AM
There's a virus and it's variants going around that produces these messages
- it's not google. The virii create fake messages such as the updates that
purport to be from MS and things like mail returned. If someone is really
stupid they can run the exe that's attached and help spread it <G>.

Jim Vadek wrote:

> Whenever you sign up for something use a junkmail e-mail address from
> Hotmail, Yahoo or other such free e-mail service.
>
> "Doug" > wrote in message
> om...
>> Hi Flight Sim addicts, has anybody besides me started getting way more
>> spam to the email address they registered on Google Groups with?
>> Before I registered last week, my hotmail address got very little

--
Brett I. Holcomb

Microsoft MVP
AKA Grunt <><
Remove R777 to email

Marc
September 24th 03, 04:10 AM
"Doug" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi Flight Sim addicts, has anybody besides me started getting way more
> spam to the email address they registered on Google Groups with?
> Before I registered last week, my hotmail address got very little
> spam, maybe 1 a week, the evening after registering my account size
> was over limit, all crap like phony security updates and email
> delivery failures to totally weird email address that i definatly
> never tried to email too. And every day it's over limit again unless i
> put on full junk mail filter which would probably delete any wanted
> mail too. Its very obvious that Google is selling our address (at
> least mine) to spammers

I highly doubt Google is selling your email address to spammers.

There are myriad ways that spammers can get your email address. The most
common is if you use it to post in a public newsgroup. You must use a
"throw-away" email address for all such postings, or find some way to munge
it (which google will not allow you to do).

You should not complain to Google, they are not responsible for your spam.
If you want to learn who to complain to and how to do it, check out the
website www.spamcop.net esp. some of their mailing lists. This will tell you
most of what you need to know, and you can use their free reporting service
to trace back the origins of your spam. I suspect in most cases you find
that it was sent via open proxy (untracable) and hosted on spam-friendly
servers in China and Brazil.

-Marc

Brett Holcomb
September 24th 03, 10:54 PM
I was getting about twenty every 15 minutes or so for a while but it seems
to be abatting - I'm not getting anywhere near that many now. At one point
I logged in the next morning (about 8 hours) and had 150 messages with
about 10 meg of space used - almost all this virus.

--
Brett I. Holcomb

Microsoft MVP
AKA Grunt <><
Remove R777 to email

Quilljar
September 24th 03, 10:57 PM
> Just curious Brett, but I know you have had a long time presence and
> was wondering how many of these bogus emails you are filtering an
> hour? I have had one email address for well over 10 years, and a
> couple others for a long time and am getting 50-60 every 10-15
> minutes today. The volume is getting much worse since it started last
> Thursday.
>
> Ed

Well I was getting around 100 per day some three days ago but it has now
dropped to around thirty or forty. So perhaps it is dying down now. Some
people may have noticed that I have altered my return address to a spurious
one which may have helped.

---

Ed Medlin
September 25th 03, 01:45 PM
> Well I was getting around 100 per day some three days ago but it has now
> dropped to around thirty or forty. So perhaps it is dying down now. Some
> people may have noticed that I have altered my return address to a
spurious
> one which may have helped.

I thought it was slowing down a bit too, but this morning (checked email
at 11pm last night) at 5:30am I had over 500 of them again. Oh well. Maybe
more people will patch their systems and update their AV programs, but I
won't hold my breath. I am, as of 7am, getting the thing 30-40 times every
15mins again, so I guess it is not abating much.

Ed

Doug
September 25th 03, 06:12 PM
Derrrr I should of known better! Anyway now this will be my throw away
email, I learned something new. Thanks for all the advice you are
smart.......

Doug

"Marc" > wrote in message news:<QW7cb.562243$o%2.249113@sccrnsc02>...
> "Doug" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Hi Flight Sim addicts, has anybody besides me started getting way more
> > spam to the email address they registered on Google Groups with?
>
> I highly doubt Google is selling your email address to spammers.
>

> -Marc

Randy L.
September 28th 03, 03:51 AM
Doug,
I don't think it's a problem with just Google Groups. I have been
experiencing the same thing, and I am not registered on Google Groups, nor
do I use it. I think it's spambots that are harvesting email addresses from
Usenet. I tried to "munge" my return email address in usenet to help
eliminate this problem, but that didn't work. I'm not sure what can be done
about it. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years NO ONE will be able to
use usenet, or internet mail to communicate because of all of the assholes
who create the spambots.

Randy L.

--
"Americans are despised for reasons that
have less to do with who we are and

"Doug" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi Flight Sim addicts, has anybody besides me started getting way more
> spam to the email address they registered on Google Groups with?
> Before I registered last week, my hotmail address got very little
> spam, maybe 1 a week, the evening after registering my account size
> was over limit, all crap like phony security updates and email
> delivery failures to totally weird email address that i definatly
> never tried to email too. And every day it's over limit again unless i
> put on full junk mail filter which would probably delete any wanted
> mail too. Its very obvious that Google is selling our address (at
> least mine) to spammers but when I sent an email expressing my
> dipleasure they only sent a short email saying that they would get
> back to me and that was a week ago now. I hope anyone else being
> treated the same as myself will start bombarding Google with
> complaints!

John Mullen
September 28th 03, 12:06 PM
"Randy L." > wrote in message
> Doug,

(snip)

> --
> "Americans are despised for reasons that
> have less to do with who we are and
> what we have, and more to do with the
> dictatorial political and religious leaders
> who seek to shift attention away from
> the misery they impose on the people
> they control and toward the United
> States and others that are guilty of no